Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

War wounds

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

shapez wrote: »
    Broken collarbone - 4 weeks old now.

Doctor chap told me this was the most common mtb one alright. How'd you manage it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 paintkaz

Loads of small stuff - busted finger from hitting a wall after flying down a mud hill as a kid. White scar on my right arm from going too fast round a corner with no brakes. My mother despaired of me because she thought girls weren't supposed to do anything like that. Worst was in summer 82 in Deansgrange. I was on my way to work when a English Vicar rushing for the boat to Holyhead managed to slam into and hit me not twice but three times- I have the imprint of the pedals in both shins still. Some of the letters in the metal of the pedal are legible on my right leg if you look at it at a side angle.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭jefferson73

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9725557@N07/2781326587/

Two broken wrists and ribs.
    Got up close and personal with a 4 x 4.
    As your all aware they have blind spots, have some titanium in me to match my bike :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭supertramp

On 2 occasions I have collided at speed with a jeep and a car, denting the doors but only had a bit of muscle damage in the side of my hand.

Of course after writing this I will be killed cycling to work tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

Junior wrote: »
    Dislocated a Finger - which I popped back in and cycled home..

Your a proper roadie them.

If a priemership soccer player dislocated his finger he would be on the ground for about a half hour and have to go off the field

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

E@gle. wrote: »

If a priemership soccer player dislocated his finger he would be on the ground for about a half hour and have to go off the field

And on to the hairdresser to fix his hair after he messed it up rolling around like a baby, then off to the doctor!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,179 ✭✭✭Junior

E@gle. wrote: »

Not quiet, it happened when I was mountainbiking *ahem*

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭shapez

Verb wrote: »
    Doctor chap told me this was the most common mtb one alright. How'd you manage it ?

It's a common one but I was on a racing bike not a mtb. I was participating in a tour that was taking in Mt. Leinster and the road was very bad on the decent so it claimed me. :rolleyes:

From a different thread a couple of people where saying that the same stretch of road has claimed 1 or 2 more!! And to think that the Tour Of Ireland is heading the same direction next Wednesday!! :eek:

A word of warning folks, descend with EXTREME care on whatever hill or mountain it is. The rain has literally removed road surfaces over the past few months!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

shapez wrote: »
    The rain has literally removed road surfaces over the past few months!!

Also I've found my regular routes now covered in stones washed across them as well as grime. Speaking of which had my first proper "off" yesterday on a hairpin descent. Helmet took most of the energy with the shoulder helping to take the rest :P. I know now why I wear a helmet, I'm pretty sure I would have fractured my cheek bone if I hadn't it on. What's more I think this thread hexed me!!! Dang OT dang you!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭shapez

I'm telling you folks... we're dropping like flys here!!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Who will be the first to get killed?

Raam wrote: »

Urgh.... party pooper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

None of us.

We are protected by this glow of mordant humour:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

I was killed a couple of months ago, but it wore off so didn't think to mention it in my post above.... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

I don't think I'm superstitious but I really don't like posting in this thread. Or looking at the pictures:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Verb wrote: »
    Urgh.... party pooper.

yeah, sorry about that. Bad taste.

I was killed a couple of months ago, but it wore off so didn't think to mention it in my post above.... :rolleyes:

:D:D:D:D:D
    lol

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭bwardrop

I know it is asking for trouble, but I cycle with my dogs - it is the only way I can give them decent exercise that doesn't take up my entire day... they run on the lead while I match their speed on the bike. They are comfortable averaging about 18-20km/h over 10km!!!

My most significant accident happened when a little jack russell who was on the opposite side of the road, but off the leash decided to investigate what we were doing... I swerved to avoid him and took a nasty spill. Right knee and elbow took the brunt of it. I have some nice scars to remind me - but no stitches :(

Do you use one of this things where you can tie the dog onto a device near the back axle?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭dmigsy

Jaysus lads. My imagination is active enough as it is. Average speed on the commute will drop even further after reading this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Wez

Had a pretty bad fall about 2 years ago, was on a POS bmx and was cycling down the dual carraige way into UCD. A girl I was cycling with was a few metres ahead of me and I was speeding up to catch her.. So here I am full pelt on a small bmx (usally ride Racer/Fixie/Mtb) and I got clipped from behind by another cyclist (I was unaware what exactly happened) and I notice the tarmac coming flying up towards me! Didn't even get to put my hands out, they dragged along under me.. Face planted the track and slid along (on my face, then my knuckles) with the other guy and both our bikes ontop of me.

Was not a pleasent experience.. Took me a while to get back on a bike, and usually I'm never like that! (get back on the horse syndrome)

There's a few snaps here incase anyone wants to see, decided against linking directly..

http://file017b.bebo.com/5/large/2006/09/27/13/16680034a2118928555b896586471l.jpg

http://file017b.bebo.com/5/large/2006/09/27/13/16680034a2118928672b76012021l.jpg

http://file017b.bebo.com/5/large/2006/09/27/13/16680034a2118928807b22357069l.jpg

I'm not exactly looking my best there.. Ladies! ;D

^^^^^

Did you go to hosp with those? They don't seem like hosp bandages.

EDIT: Good to hear you're back on the bike :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Jeez Wez thats a nasty one! like 72hundred says, fair play getting back on the bike, I don't think I would be able to look at a bike after a spill like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

72hundred wrote: »
    Did you go to hosp with those? They don't seem like hosp bandages.
    Why would you do something silly like that if you could patch yourself together? I used duct tape on my volcanic knee and that turned out all right- sort of, it's still a work in progress :D Nothing that stuff isn't good for, and if you run out there are always cable-ties for re-attaching loose bits. I will admit I would like to see "today" pictures of Wez's head to reassure me that all was OK though :eek:

blorg wrote: »
    Why would you do something silly like that if you could patch yourself together? I used duct tape on my volcanic knee and that turned out all right- sort of, it's still a work in progress :D Nothing that stuff isn't good for, and if you run out there are always cable-ties for re-attaching loose bits. I will admit I would like to see "today" pictures of Wez's head to reassure me that all was OK though :eek:

You're doing sterling work on beefing up the legend blorg:D I'm picturing that scene in Terminator where Arnie slices his arm open to perform repairs, except I'm picturing you at the kitchen table doing the same thing with a scissors, a roll of duct tape and some cable ties in your repair kit!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Howitzer

Wez wrote: »
    Had a pretty bad fall about 2 years ago...

Wez, how's it all looking now 2 years on? Any scarring or joint pain?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

yeah duct tape is awesome stuff. superglue is handy too, can use it as a suture if need be. urban legend has it that that's what it was invented for - dunno if it's true, but I've used it on occasion without any obvious side-effects

kenmc wrote: »
    yeah duct tape is awesome stuff. superglue is handy too, can use it as a suture if need be. urban legend has it that that's what it was invented for - dunno if it's true, but I've used it on occasion without any obvious side-effects

Hmm. I bought spray on bandage. I was a bit wary of the superglue approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭bwardrop

72hundred wrote: »
    Do you use one of this things where you can tie the dog onto a device near the back axle?

No - I looked at them, but decided against it for some reason at the time!! I use a halti nose thing on each dog and have them joined together with a coupler and then I hold 1 little lead. I like to have some sort of control over them - especially after the crash. Being able to give the lead a little tug has save me a few more accidents!

You should see us during the winter - all the gear above, plus luminous jackets and lights (I live in the sticks) - hilarious!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

kenmc wrote: »

Yup, true indeed, tested during Vietnam. According to Wiki, it wasnt invented for that purpose though. Puncture repair kits work wonders! Sand some excess skin and slap it on!

Advertisement