Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holding AVG's hand through an update

Options
  • 19-08-2008 9:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    I was using AVG 7X for ages without any problems. Since upgrading to 8X, it seems it wont update itself without me right clicking the exclamation icon in the system tray, then clicking update, then a window opening and then clicking update there too. Pretty annoying having to do it every time, at least once a day when before it'd just automatically do it. Is this just a ploy to get people to want to buy the full version or is there a way to have it do it all itself, if so, what way do you have your settings in AVG?

Any feedback appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭ajmull

Setting on Update Manager for setting automatic updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I've gone to the update manager and tick "start automatic updates" and set to every 15 minutes, click save, click yes to save changes, then when I go back to the update manager "start automatic updates" is unticked again:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

i use avast (free home edition) and it updates without any trouble and i find it more sensitive than avg

http://www.avast.com

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Agreed I have the same thing. The old AVG just did it. As you say for 8.x you have to click on update then click again on update and if I remember rightly it says finished and then you have to click on it to get rid of that too. Plus it seems slower to me. Still better than paying for the malware that is Norton etc.

• Advertisement

kmick wrote: »
    Agreed I have the same thing. The old AVG just did it. As you say for 8.x you have to click on update then click again on update and if I remember rightly it says finished and then you have to click on it to get rid of that too. Plus it seems slower to me. Still better than paying for the malware that is Norton etc.

That would lead me to think it's something to do with AVG and not our computers so? Anyone else with AVG not having this problem?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

I use 8 and as far as i know i dont have any trouble.
    Quite often see a message that it has been updated.
    But it does indeed seem quite a bit slower when doing a system scan.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭BKtje

No problems with AVG 8 here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

I have AVG 8 and after 5 years with the free version I upgraded to the paid version(Pro I think)

No problems with up dating, and it feels a lot less bloated

Just downloaded the latest version and uninstalled the old and installed the new one. When I was setting it up, the whole automatic update section on installation was greyed out so I couldn't select anything to do with automatic updates:confused: Now it's installed, when I go to automatic updates in the program, I can't pick every 4 hours etc, but it is scheduled at 10:05 every day. So I suppose I'll have to wait and see what happens. Would it be something to do with firewall or anything I wonder?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭mumhaabu

AVG free version 8 will not update at all on any Windows XP computer, it works fine on Vista, on my XP pc I have to manually download the updates from the website and then install the separately. I got so fed up with I migrated to Avast but found it so terrible taking nearly 3hrs to scan my 40GB hardrive than I uninstalled and came back to AVG despite the manual updates!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

I found the updating on AVG 8 works fine if you have an active internet connection when you turn on the pc. Fine on broadband but for anyone on dialup it's a pita.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭ajmull

I have it set to update every day at a specific hour. It does this without any trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭robo

I am having the same problem, using Vista. It seems to be a hit and miss with other users, what is causing this issue for some us??? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

robo wrote: »
    I am having the same problem, using Vista. It seems to be a hit and miss with other users, what is causing this issue for some us??? :confused:

I use it with Vista, and it works fine. Very occasionally it reports that it cannot find the update server, but I think that is normal web congestion and it manages to update itself later.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

I've noticed it myself on my Vista desktop. Very annoying! I've done nothing to resolve the issue, as I am in no mood to reinstall the software, so I have been updating AVG manually.

Since it is occurring with other users there must be something in common amongst us. I first noticed it occurring over the last week or 2; it may have something to do regarding one of the Windows updates that have been released recently.

Do all those who are experiencing problems have it set up correctly?

Go to Tools -- Advanced Settings -- Update. "Update Immediately" should be selected.

Yup, had that selected with require confirmation before restart, just clicked update after next restart to see if that makes a difference, either way, when I go to the update manager, I still can't pick periodically :(

I don't have the Update Periodically option either, but I have a setting to Update at a specific time interval checked, with the updating happening every day. I didn't create the setting; it was imported from the previous version of AVG that I had. Can you select that?

[Daily updating seems good enough for me.]

I just read this: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=1082779

Seems they have disabled automatic updating to encourage people to buy the full version.

• Advertisement

I read it, and don't take the same meaning from it that you do. You should be able to configure it to update once a day.

That's right, once a day I think, but if you boot up at various times, you could be waiting for it to automatically update for ages. These are the important bits from the thread I linked to:
    The Update Manager settings within free AVG 8 have two options - 'Periodically' (greyed out so unusable) and 'At a specific time interval' which allows a time to be set for a daily download. There's no option for automatic update on startup, so whenever you launch the internet, AVG automatically reports that the connection to the update has failed.

There's only the option to set one time per day, so I'm sure that would be fine if the PC was always booted up at, say, 9.00am, then the update set for 9.05am or something. The OP would still get the message for 5 mins, but then it would clear, presumably.

What's AVAST like anyway in comparison to AVG? Does it have anything annoying like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

I have AVG paid version, and it does somethingsl wel, but its not worth a bollacks when it comes to Spyware and Malware even though a full scan bring nothing except a few tracking cookies when I run superantispyware or Spybot they catch loads that AVG doesn't

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

i find avast good... it actively scans every folder and files in it when u browse to it, it scans all outgoing and incoming emails in outlook or outlook express and open office & thunderbird (mozilla's free equiv to outlook), it updates automatically everyday, it can do thorough scans if you set it to and boot time scans, its free, it also autoscans files your downloading and tells u instantly if a virus is in it and gives you an option to delete the file immediately. it also is not a power hog like norton, symantec, or a-trend. it even picks up some malware from websites that tries to install itself when ya browse to it.

Turns out I had an install shell from 7.5 knocking around so I've uninstalled 8 and reinstalled 7.5. Still seems up to date, I wonder am I jeopardising anything by using it instead of 8?

Been using 7.5 since the above post and it's updating no problem. Why would anyone use 8 if 7.5 offers the same protection without the annoying updating? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

cormie wrote: »
    Been using 7.5 since the above post and it's updating no problem. Why would anyone use 8 if 7.5 offers the same protection without the annoying updating? :)

Because....
    Support for AVG 7.5 Free Edition is planned to end on 31st August 2008.

No more virus updates are planned for after that date.

Note that no more 'program' updates are due! Only virus updates will continue until the end date.

AVG 7.5 Paid version will be supported until 31/12/08.

http://freeforum.avg.com/read.php?1,136697,backpage=,sv=

But if I'm using Free, how am I still getting updates? Will they stop from 1st Jan I wonder? What do program updates do anyway? Do they have any influence on virus protection or just advanced features etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Still getting updates on free 7.5 too. I noticed the nags to upgrade to 8 have stopped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

AVG is pretty decent but compared to the best its total balls

Advertisement