Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Portfolio Brief. HELP & ADVICE

1568101122

Comments

  • Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Weekend Warrior


    HouseHippo wrote: »
    Hey NCAD see you in September :D

    Congratulations :)


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 unugh


    HouseHippo wrote: »
    Hey NCAD see you in September :D

    Im almost positive its October,unfortunately.
    First time in years im kind of anxious for the summer to be over already.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭HouseHippo


    unugh wrote: »
    Im almost positive its October,unfortunately.
    First time in years im kind of anxious for the summer to be over already.
    Oh even better....longer summer :D


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 NeonTiger


    Ok right. . .just wonderin when im doing my portfolio for visual communications... What exactly should i include? I was lik thinkn id put in a painting, poster, some photography, still lifes. I got sorta stuck after dat..! Any advice??
    :P


  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭RaeRae


    Just read through all this and wanted to say congrats to all of you who got into NCAD (and other courses, of course).

    Didn't know they had a brief now? Jesus, I couldn't have dealt with that. I'm going into second year in October having done Core twice (I'm lazy, make sure the same thing doesn't happen to you, it's hell on earth to do twice.)

    But yeah, good luck to all of you starting in October. It'll be a shock to the system but you'll all get used to it. Enjoy (:


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭HouseHippo


    RaeRae wrote: »
    Just read through all this and wanted to say congrats to all of you who got into NCAD (and other courses, of course).

    Didn't know they had a brief now? Jesus, I couldn't have dealt with that. I'm going into second year in October having done Core twice (I'm lazy, make sure the same thing doesn't happen to you, it's hell on earth to do twice.)

    But yeah, good luck to all of you starting in October. It'll be a shock to the system but you'll all get used to it. Enjoy (:
    Well you should know NCAD quite well so.....could ya PM me a bit about the college. Thanks :)


  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭RaeRae


    HouseHippo wrote: »
    Well you should know NCAD quite well so.....could ya PM me a bit about the college. Thanks :)

    Too well. I'll PM ya now :pac:


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Weekend Warrior


    RaeRae wrote: »
    Too well. I'll PM ya now :pac:

    Sorry to bother you, but could I second that request please? :o:P


  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭RaeRae


    Sorry to bother you, but could I second that request please? :o:P

    It's fine. PMing you now.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Lady Luck


    Just to let everyone know, don't get your hopes up over NCAD. I'm doing a portfolio and I'll get in, but I'm just tellin you they require such a high standard :/


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭HouseHippo


    Lady Luck wrote: »
    Just to let everyone know, don't get your hopes up over NCAD. I'm doing a portfolio and I'll get in, but I'm just tellin you they require such a high standard :/
    With that attitude you won't go very far, they don't like cockey people....

    Don't listen to this guys, biggest failure is not trying in the first place


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Lady Luck


    Excuse me, but you haven't seen the standard of my work? I've been told by many people that my work is amazing and I'll get into NCAD (not being big-headed, just telling you what people say about my work), and I am confident that with the work, I'll get into NCAD. I'm just telling a lot of people they probably won't get in themselves, as they only take in the best. But try anyway. xxxx


  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3


    Oh God cut that attitude, they won't give you a room all by your self to work in you will have to get on with some one.

    To be honest you sound like some one straight out of school last year who has a portfolio full of lovely flat still lifes.

    Honestly cut the crap you'll really take a fall. Some of the guys I went to college are now well respected and successful in their fields, they knew they were good, they had the grades and the competition prizes but they also knew when to keep their mouth shut!


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Weekend Warrior


    Yeah, I think anyone who wants to go to Ncad should have a go at the brief either way. If you don't bother just because you think you won't get in, then you definitely will not get in. :pac: When I was doing my portfolio there were so many times when I worried that what I was doing was sh*t, but I just stuck at it, and in the end it was so worth it.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭HouseHippo


    Lady Luck wrote: »
    Excuse me, but you haven't seen the standard of my work? I've been told by many people that my work is amazing and I'll get into NCAD (not being big-headed, just telling you what people say about my work), and I am confident that with the work, I'll get into NCAD. I'm just telling a lot of people they probably won't get in themselves, as they only take in the best. But try anyway. xxxx
    Yeah lots of people told all the people in my portfolio course they'd get in too,thats why they are all doin arts in UCD :P


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭HouseHippo


    wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Oh God cut that attitude, they won't give you a room all by your self to work in you will have to get on with some one.

    To be honest you sound like some one straight out of school last year who has a portfolio full of lovely flat still lifes.

    Honestly cut the crap you'll really take a fall. Some of the guys I went to college are now well respected and successful in their fields, they knew they were good, they had the grades and the competition prizes but they also knew when to keep their mouth shut!
    NCAD aren't looking for technical skills they want intelligence and the attitude to succeed. In NCAD they have no qualms bout telling you were to get off,if you go in with that attitude you will be ripped apart at every Crit.
    Its about originality in ideas and making associations, about displaying an overall understanding of both art and visual culture and its place in the world. Its luck not skill tbh. u


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Lady Luck


    Excuse me but I am very capable of "thinking outside the box". I agree, its not enough to just be able to draw, you have to offer more. But I know I will get in because my father's friend works in painting in NCAD and he told me all my stuff will get me in and that I've talent. I'm just warning people that they probably won't get in :pac: xx


  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭RaeRae


    Lady Luck wrote: »
    Just to let everyone know, don't get your hopes up over NCAD. I'm doing a portfolio and I'll get in, but I'm just tellin you they require such a high standard :/


    ...Wow, hope I never meet you there.

    Wrong attitude for NCAD, buddy.

    You're going to get a major shock if you do get in, people don't dig people who have the same holier than thou attitude you seem to have.

    Who are you to tell people that you're basically going to get in for sure and others aren't? The cheek.
    Lady Luck wrote: »
    Excuse me, but you haven't seen the standard of my work? I've been told by many people that my work is amazing and I'll get into NCAD (not being big-headed, just telling you what people say about my work), and I am confident that with the work, I'll get into NCAD. I'm just telling a lot of people they probably won't get in themselves, as they only take in the best. But try anyway. xxxx

    Oh yeah? Bung some up there and be open to critique so? I'm sure you're a talented artist, but it's not only about the standard of your work, your ideas are very much important. It's nice that you're confident but god, being confident and telling others they won't get in when you will is so different. And one last thing. Not everyone in NCAD is 'the best', you will see people and wonder why they're there. But they all got in for a reason and it's not for you to judge. Jesus Christ.

    /rant


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Lady Luck


    Why the negative attitude? I just said I am talented and I will get in. I'm just warning people that don't be suprised if they don't get in. I cant upload any of my work because I have no scanner and my camera got robbed the other day.

    Fact is, you MUST have confidence in your work, and I have a fair bit. I hope everyone who applies gets in, but the truth is they won't because NCAD are so exclusive.


  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭RaeRae


    Lady Luck wrote: »
    Why the negative attitude? I just said I am talented and I will get in. I'm just warning people that don't be suprised if they don't get in. I cant upload any of my work because I have no scanner and my camera got robbed the other day.

    Fact is, you MUST have confidence in your work, and I have a fair bit. I hope everyone who applies gets in, but the truth is they won't because NCAD are so exclusive.

    That's just it. I have no issue whatsoever with your belief in yourself that your talented. I think it's great that you're confident in your work. I wish more of us were like that, I myself don't usually like what I do but the odd piece I like for a bit before finding flaws. The majority of my mates in NCAD are the same, so I don't have a problem with you believing in your talent, that in itself is great. Congrats.

    I do however, have a problem with the fact that you think it's your place to WARN other people that they probably won't get in and then to go around saying you're going to get in for sure. Could be a shock to the system there sweetheart, if you possibly do not get in (wouldn't wish that on anyone, so don't think I'm saying I hope you won't). I've known some amazing people who have not gotten in for whatever reason the tutors who assess the portfolios have come up with.

    I just think you need to tone down on the 'LOOK AT ME, I'M AMAZING, BUT SORRY GUYS, I'LL GET IN BUT YOU MIGHT NOT BECAUSE IT'S DIFFICULT' attitude. It's not going to get you far and certainly not going to make you friends if you do get into NCAD. That sh*t doesn't fly ;).


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Lady Luck


    RaeRae wrote: »
    That's just it. I have no issue whatsoever with your belief in yourself that your talented. I think it's great that you're confident in your work. I wish more of us were like that, I myself don't usually like what I do but the odd piece I like for a bit before finding flaws. The majority of my mates in NCAD are the same, so I don't have a problem with you believing in your talent, that in itself is great. Congrats.

    I do however, have a problem with the fact that you think it's your place to WARN other people that they probably won't get in and then to go around saying you're going to get in for sure. Could be a shock to the system there sweetheart, if you possibly do not get in (wouldn't wish that on anyone, so don't think I'm saying I hope you won't). I've known some amazing people who have not gotten in for whatever reason the tutors who assess the portfolios have come up with.

    I just think you need to tone down on the 'LOOK AT ME, I'M AMAZING, BUT SORRY GUYS, I'LL GET IN BUT YOU MIGHT NOT BECAUSE IT'S DIFFICULT' attitude. It's not going to get you far and certainly not going to make you friends if you do get into NCAD. That sh*t doesn't fly ;).

    Thank you for telling me how I'm meant to act. I thought I was perhaps doing a helpful thing by warning people of the exclusiveness of NCAD. But the fact is, I have put in the work, and I'm sure if someone has the same talent and WORK ETHIC as me, they'll have no problem getting into NCAD.

    And tbh I actually think I'll go down well in NCAD. I have a friend in NCAD and he says that they'll love me so ... x


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭sells


    Ncad do not nessesary take in the best....im in art college in galway and once you get into art college you find out that nobody is better or worse at art...everyone is the same....NCAD, from my research it would be a good college but maybe with the sort of people thinking its the best college and only the best go there makes it the most snobby college too. the comments above may reflect this...but generally mostly every one are sound and there are some that deserve to be in NCAD, not because there the best at art, but because there snobby and dont wanna know.....you just need to talk you way and make sure you know what youre on about in the portfolio assesment..bull**** basically.


  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭RaeRae


    Lady Luck wrote: »
    Thank you for telling me how I'm meant to act. I thought I was perhaps doing a helpful thing by warning people of the exclusiveness of NCAD. But the fact is, I have put in the work, and I'm sure if someone has the same talent and WORK ETHIC as me, they'll have no problem getting into NCAD.

    And tbh I actually think I'll go down well in NCAD. I have a friend in NCAD and he says that they'll love me so ... x

    ...Right, you're clearly not willing to listen to anyone. I've looked at your other posts, and other people have called you on being hostile, rude and condescending. Never once did I tell you how to act. Myself and other people suggested you tone down the attitude.

    Your post wasn't helpful in the least. It was basically you saying you were in for sure (when your portfolio isn't even going to be assessed until NEXT YEAR) and telling other people that unless they had your 'amazing' talent, they're not getting in. Also, the whole NCAD being exclusive thing is utter bull. Yes, it has a reputation, it has churned out many people who have done well in life and are good at whatever area they're into, but it's not EXCLUSIVE. God. It's a college. It's not some sort of VIP club. People with varying degrees of raw talent get in, but it's ideas that seal the deal. (Good luck with your fruits ;), we all know they love to see that)

    If you think you'd go down well in ANY college with that attitude, good luck. And if your friend in NCAD says people will love you, then you must be really different off the forums.

    Cop. On.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭HouseHippo


    Lady Luck wrote: »
    Why the negative attitude? I just said I am talented and I will get in. I'm just warning people that don't be suprised if they don't get in. I cant upload any of my work because I have no scanner and my camera got robbed the other day.

    Fact is, you MUST have confidence in your work, and I have a fair bit. I hope everyone who applies gets in, but the truth is they won't because NCAD are so exclusive.
    Its college not ****ing 90210 would ya give over.
    You wont be the only person who gets in there are 180 other places ya know....they aren't there just to teach you....

    Christ if this is the kind of attitude people i'll be in college with will have not so sure if I want to go to NCAD after all.


    Also Ncad will love you......I bet you are one of these pally pally with the teachers ook at me notice me people in school.Well we had those in my school too,and they were surprised with the amount the tutors don't give a ****! College is no place for licking arse!


    Positive attitude is a far cry from general arrogance love!

    Also

    Don't be so confident it will let you down in your work,take this from someone who worked her arse off for 6 months into get in.


  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭RaeRae


    HouseHippo wrote: »
    Its college not ****ing 90210 would ya give over.
    You wont be the only person who gets in there are 180 other places ya know....they aren't there just to teach you....

    Christ if this is the kind of attitude people i'll be in college with will have not so sure if I want to go to NCAD after all.


    Also Ncad will love you......I bet you are one of these pally pally with the teachers ook at me notice me people in school.Well we had those in my school too,and they were surprised with the amount the tutors don't give a ****! College is no place for licking arse!


    Positive attitude is a far cry from general arrogance love!

    Also

    Don't be so confident it will let you down in your work,take this from someone who worked her arse off for 6 months into get in.

    Don't worry man, most people there are really sound. You get the odd few really pretentious suck up types who never have a laugh but the majority are grand. :rolleyes: Some people need to remember it's a college, not something else and college is supposed to be fun too.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 sarahpie


    RACHEL !!! haha leave the knob head alone and come and play
    when are we having our b day thing

    i remember last year round now being on sites like this asking about ncad :)
    aaaaa 2nd year ....****


  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭RaeRae


    sarahpie wrote: »
    RACHEL !!! haha leave the knob head alone and come and play
    when are we having our b day thing

    i remember last year round now being on sites like this asking about ncad :)
    aaaaa 2nd year ....****

    It's because we're awesome.

    I'll text you about the birthday thing. YAYAY. Bring on 2nd yeaar.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 serenescene


    I am starting Core in September! I'm really excited but also a little bit scared, ha. :o I'm in sixth year at the minute too btw.

    o deadly:) you're one of the few school leavers ive managed to find!! im so excited too, i cant wait:P a bit daunting as well tho isnt it! i don't know what to expect at all, i just want someone to tell me exactly what its gonna be like, what the studio hours are, if we have to do history of art classes/have any lectures or anything. just what its gonna be like day to day. can anyone tell me??

    much appreciated:D


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭HouseHippo


    I am starting Core in September! I'm really excited but also a little bit scared, ha. :o I'm in sixth year at the minute too btw.

    o deadly:) you're one of the few school leavers ive managed to find!! im so excited too, i cant wait:P a bit daunting as well tho isnt it! i don't know what to expect at all, i just want someone to tell me exactly what its gonna be like, what the studio hours are, if we have to do history of art classes/have any lectures or anything. just what its gonna be like day to day. can anyone tell me??

    much appreciated:D
    Ah ya do have lectures and history of art.....its called Visual Culture I think its 25% of the marks for the year.
    I was at a vis culture before its actually really interesting. I think they are on Wednesday mornings.


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭Halla Basin


    In my opinion, the cheese in the trap.


Advertisement