Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying fabric

Options
  • 16-08-2008 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭

Hi, I've starting quilting, but I'm finding it very difficult to find good cotton fabric. Hickeys in Stephen's green and dun laoghaire have gone. I've been to Murphy Sheedys, but the selection was poor for the type of projects I have in mind.
    Anyone out there know where I can get some nice cotton fabrics? Preferably in dublin. I don't really want to have to get them from the internet, as you can't really match the colours properly.
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭racram

Hi,
    I know you mention that you don't want to buy fabric online but I have to recommend http://www.equilter.com/. I have bought a good lot of fabric from them. Their cotton quality is great and their selection is second to none. Also, their photographs are exactly like the fabrics when you receive them. It's worth having a look at!
    Hope that helps,

Carmel:)

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭lemon_sherbert

Thanks, I'll have a look!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭DesignLady

I know it sounds strange, but I've found if I need to buy a few metres of a selection of fabrics, it's actually cheaper to fly to London for the day and go to shepherds bush. One cheap patterned polycotton I bought for £1 per metre in A-Z fabrics there was priced at €6.95 in the Woolen Mills! I can usually get a return flight for about €70 Dublin-Heathrow so for better choice it's usually worth it.

-Sinéad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 mentalist

My friend Christine who has been quilting for years and years also gets hers in England. Must be something in it....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

There a Hickeys on 5 Henry St.
    The Dun Laoghaire store is closed for renovations until October '08 according to their website www.hickeyfabrics.ie

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭littlebitdull

If you dont mind a small amount of traveling there is a very good quilting fabric shop in trim, co meath. Its called Just cotton. The shop opens Mondays and Tuesdays, and other days by arrangement. www.justcotton.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

DesignLady wrote: »
    I know it sounds strange, but I've found if I need to buy a few metres of a selection of fabrics, it's actually cheaper to fly to London for the day and go to shepherds bush. One cheap patterned polycotton I bought for £1 per metre in A-Z fabrics there was priced at €6.95 in the Woolen Mills! I can usually get a return flight for about €70 Dublin-Heathrow so for better choice it's usually worth it.

I'll second this. Fabric is much better value in England. As well as Shepard's Bush, you could also try the shops along Goldhawk Road. They're brilliant value and have a great selection. I'm planning a trip over myself in the next few weeks, to buy material for my christmas party dress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭JaneyMc

Seriously considering going to the UK for fabric, the selection available here is woeful. I want to make a few hoodies for myself as well.

Is anyone here a member of any other crafting boards?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭stitchlily

I've just set up a new blog, www.woollyway.blogspot.com. Its a Textile Directory in the making. I have a few fabric shops listed, and am adding more very week. So, check it out, and see if there is anything there for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

JaneyMc wrote: »
    Seriously considering going to the UK for fabric, the selection available here is woeful. I want to make a few hoodies for myself as well.

See my blog for a report on my latest fabric shopping trip to London

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭JaneyMc

Aw thanks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭DesignLady

Whaleys are great for mail ordering cottons, wools and silks

www.whaleys-bradford.ltd.uk

Advertisement