Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

* Ryanair * Ryanair * Ryanair *

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

c4cat wrote: »
    most of the flights I have no doubt arrive on time. However if you are unlucky to be heading home with just yr last Euro in your pocket and yr Ryanair flight gets canx due to tech problems. Then you might as well wish in one hand that you had booked another airline and crap in the other hand, then see which one gets full first.
    It would be silly for anyone to travel with any airline without money or cc since so many things can go wrong including outside the control of the airlines e.g. the radar situation in dublin airport. I don't see your point as being specific to Ryanair.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Sizzler wrote: »
    Just thought I would post my own recent experience with Ryanair.

Turned up for a flight 30 mins before check in close, slight Q forming and girl on desk wouldnt check anybody in. Cue a supervisor type dude who comes out with a clipboard to say that the flight was delayed for at least 3 hours due to weather 'knocking out the schedule' even though the weather was fine on the day in question, granted it was KAK the day before.

Asked him straight out what the chances were of getting away sooner than the 3 hours and he said zero. I went straight home. Wrote a letter to Ryanair and got an email back 3 days later to say they were refunding the full cost of the flight back to my VISA :)
    awesome. weather must hav meant in another airport obviously, and to get your refund in full is great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭c4cat

zuroph wrote: »
    article is over 3 years old, and at a time when the laws were new. fact is ryanair has more flights ahead of schedule than ANY other airline. with the fewest amount of bag losses.

Well since many ryanaair passengers do not even check their bags, Of those that do checkin their baggage non of their bags NEVER get transferred from one flight to another so there is very little statistical chance that a bag from a Ryanair flight can go missing with the tiny airports they use. lets face it when I travel from Dublin to Auckland which I do every year My bag goes Dublin-Manchester on Airlingus Manchester-Singapore singapore airlines then Singapore-Auckland, Thats one inter airline change and one same airline flight change through major airports handling hundreds of thousands of bags changing flights at each airport each day. So the statistical chances of a bag going missing is much higher so of course Ryanair can claim lower statistics in loss baggage

axer wrote: »
    It would be silly for anyone to travel with any airline without money or cc since so many things can go wrong including outside the control of the airlines e.g. the radar situation in dublin airport. I don't see your point as being specific to Ryanair.

My point is there are other airlines maybe a bit more expensive to flyon would not leave you standing there with a hand full of Crap!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

And has anyone got a visa electron!! and do you know anyone who has used one recently on Ryanair's website??? I have and it will not go through as a visa-electron but it will go through as a visa debit with the E5 per euro charger per person per sector booked

People in work have commented on this. They called Ryanair and were told it's a "fault" with their online booking system. They were asked to put their complaint in writing and the visa charge would be refunded to them. Which it was.

However...they would not have known this had they not called Ryanair. And the electron glitch has apparently been around for MONTHS.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭HarryD

I've booked a flight to Budapest in mid December with Ryanair.
    I can still book a flight despite me reading here that flights to Budapest for Nov and Dec are cancelled (along with 6 other airports)
    Ryanair today announced the temporary closure of its operations at the following airports for the period from Tuesday, 4th November until Friday, 19th December:

Any ideas ?
    I can't seem to get in touch with them.. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

most of the flights I have no doubt arrive on time. However if you are unlucky to be heading home with just yr last Euro in your pocket and yr Ryanair flight gets canx due to tech problems. Then you might as well wish in one hand that you had booked another airline and crap in the other hand, then see which one gets full first.
    My point is there are other airlines maybe a bit more expensive to flyon would not leave you standing there with a hand full of Crap!!!

Yes, yes they do. Paying e.g €250 vs €60 for a flight is absolutely no guarantee you're going to be treated any better in the event of delays.

And as for having your last Euro in your pocket, do you expect the airline to lend you money or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Do you think Ryanair are just in it for the money and all other airlines are in it to keep people happy and take them merrily on their way?
    They're ALL in it for the money. They've all become crap to fly with.

MOH wrote: »
    Yes, yes they do. Paying e.g €250 vs €60 for a flight is absolutely no guarantee you're going to be treated any better in the event of delays.

Well that depends on which airline one has a ticket on, some airlines will comply with the law, and some will not
    MOH wrote: »
    And as for having your last Euro in your pocket, do you expect the airline to lend you money or something?

Well as you have already pointed out to me in your great wisdom: 'If the delay continues overnight, you're then entitled to a hotel and transfers.' thats what I would expect, rather then be left holding a handful of crap.

lts face it If you had paid €60 for a tangible item, or any other service you would expect to get what you pay for right!!!

If you rent a DVD say, take it home, the disk is faulty and you could not watch it what would you do!!!

can Ryanair just canx a flight and just leave you stranded without a duty of care??

Biro wrote: »
    Do you think Ryanair are just in it for the money and all other airlines are in it to keep people happy and take them merrily on their way?
    They're ALL in it for the money. They've all become crap to fly with.

What I am saying is other airlines will honor their obligations, while Ryanair from my experience does not seem to honor theirs

• Advertisement

HarryD wrote: »
    I've booked a flight to Budapest in mid December with Ryanair.
    I can still book a flight despite me reading here that flights to Budapest for Nov and Dec are cancelled (along with 6 other airports)

Any ideas ?
    I can't seem to get in touch with them.. :confused:

Well thats nothing new then, because they do not want you to get in touch with them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭jebuz

personally I would rather retain my dignity and preserve the contents of my wallet then have holidays traveling with Ryanair but then one pays their money then takes their choice, I have better holidays going to the UK or europe by car and since I am running my car on LPG I have just realised that my carbon foot print is much smaller then if we fly ryanair, which would be my family's tiny contribution to preserving the sick planet

What sort of gobsh**t are you, blabbing on about dignity, its an airline ffs get off your high horse!

Do you honestly thing your carbon footprint is lower because you're driving your "LPG" car? Lets see now...take the flight with Ryanair - 0 emmisions by your car...do not take the flight with Ryanair - plane still flies (yes even if you're not on it) and your drive your car...figure it out yourself

Bitter people like you feel you have to blame someone for all your problems, looking at your posts, you struggle to make any sort of argument, it's just all mindless ranting.

jebuz wrote: »
    What sort of gobsh**t are you, blabbing on about dignity, its an airline ffs get off your high horse!

Do you honestly thing your carbon footprint is lower because you're driving your "LPG" car? Lets see now...take the flight with Ryanair - 0 emmisions by your car...do not take the flight with Ryanair - plane still flies (yes even if you're not on it) and your drive your car...figure it out yourself

Bitter people like you feel you have to blame someone for all your problems, looking at your posts, you struggle to make any sort of argument, it's just all mindless ranting.

Looks like you would not know what dignity was even if it hit you full on in the face

Looks like you would not know what dignity was even if it hit you full on in the face
    What dignity is being lost or how are you losing your dignity by flying with Ryanair? Are they making you fly naked or calling you names or what?

Riiiight, good reply...and how exactly would dignity hit me in the face, its not a tangible object

• Registered Users Posts: 16,965 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

eth0_ wrote: »
    People in work have commented on this. They called Ryanair and were told it's a "fault" with their online booking system. They were asked to put their complaint in writing and the visa charge would be refunded to them. Which it was.

However...they would not have known this had they not called Ryanair. And the electron glitch has apparently been around for MONTHS.

Well this is just terrible customer services. A known glitch that prevents customers from paying with Electron for months and Ryanair have done nothing to inform those customers that they should use another card and a refund will be processed (once they write in).

If this is the case, the advertising people need to get at Ryanair as the reason they do not charge Electron is the fact that they can then advertise their prices exclusive of the payment fees. If they charge everyone for paying for a flight, they need to include the charge in their adverts.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

over the summer, and for maybe a few months before that, ryanair have been having problems with their website, and have had a notice on the front page that some charges were not being displayed at the beginning, maybe this had something to do with it.

zuroph wrote: »
    over the summer, and for maybe a few months before that, ryanair have been having problems with their website, and have had a notice on the front page that some charges were not being displayed at the beginning, maybe this had something to do with it.

I have just checked my own history and this has been going on for the past 2yrs and 7mts at least, cos thats how far back it was when I first tried to use my electron card with ryanair, They have had a website revamp since then- so they know about it but expect us not to bother asking for a refund cos of the hassle it entails

jebuz wrote: »
    Riiiight, good reply...and how exactly would dignity hit me in the face, its not a tangible object

Yr right, if it was tangible Ryanair would bottle it and sell it on their flights cos that would be the only way they would know how to give it

Well this is just terrible customer services. A known glitch that prevents customers from paying with Electron for months and Ryanair have done nothing to inform those customers that they should use another card and a refund will be processed (once they write in).

What you expect customer service??????? let me quote another post in response to mine.............

[/QUOTE]
    Originally Posted by jebuz View Post
    its an airline ffs get off your high horse!
    [/QUOTE]

• Advertisement

Yr right, if it was tangible Ryanair would bottle it and sell it on their flights cos that would be the only way they would know how to give it
    You still haven't answered - where is your dignity being lost on a Ryanair flight?

axer wrote: »
    You still haven't answered - where is your dignity being lost on a Ryanair flight?

If you can be bothered to read my posts, You will see that I have already given examples of what I have witnessed and experienced, so no need to repeat myself is there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

i fly maybe 4 times a month with ryanair, and theyre bang on for what they are. if you book with a rubbish airline, expect rubbish service from underpaid overworked staff who really dont care about you or whether you get your flight or not, the same way the bloke stacking supermarket shelves doesnt care if what you bought was out of date or didnt taste right.

EVERYONE knows what ryanair are potentially like. in booking with them you accept that theres a slight chance everything will go completely tits up. if you dont like that risk, dont book with them. its not rocket science, pay the extra few quid (and thats all that it really is, just a few quid) to fly with aer lingus who are ever so slightly more reputable.

if you think the savings outweigh the risk then go for it, but for the love of god dont run around whinging about how they have a mission to ruin your life if things go wrong

What you expect customer service??????? let me quote another post in response to mine.............
    Originally Posted by jebuz View Post
    its an airline ffs get off your high horse!
    [/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Way to misquote, that is totally unrelated to poor customer service. My comment is based on the fact that you claim your dignity is lost if you fly with Ryanair, totally over the top imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Gerbud

Helix,

Tits up as a risk is NOT acceptable in any shape or form when doing business, even at low costs. You're paying for a service & yes whilst cheap, should also be what you pay for as in boarding a flight & getting to the place you want to go!!

People like you allow hard done by customers to be walked all over as you bottle out by using the excuse you get what you pay for. You pay for a flight to a destination...if you don't get it..you have every right to complain.

Just a tip for you in the future as you don't seem bothered in being screwed over....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭Dizzyblabla

I've sat in Gatwick airport for 8 hours when a charter sunway flight had 'technical difficulties' on the way to Faro
    I've sat on the tarmac in Oslo for close to 2 hours because we missed our departure slot with Sterling.no.
    I've sat in Amsterdam for 5 hours because the full crew on board the plane right outside the window didn't want to fly to Cork. We had to wait for the other Aer Lingus flight to come from Paris so they could swap planes when they arrived.

I've had 20 minute delays with Ryanair, but the fact that they add the extra 20 minutes to every flight schedule means I still land on time :) Once, a flight was cancelled, as was every other flight in Europe due to high winds, they changed everyone's flights without a problem, and this was something they didn't even have to do as it was 'Act of God'.

I've had better experiences with Ryanair in the long run to be honest.

I'm flying from Cork to Dublin in a few weeks, €25 (€5 for me, €15 for my bag and €5 cc fee)... if I was to get the train, it would have cost €33 + €3 to reserve a seat?? at least I'm promised a seat on the flight!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Gerbud wrote: »
    Helix,

Tits up as a risk is NOT acceptable in any shape or form when doing business, even at low costs. You're paying for a service & yes whilst cheap, should also be what you pay for as in boarding a flight & getting to the place you want to go!!

People like you allow hard done by customers to be walked all over as you bottle out by using the excuse you get what you pay for. You pay for a flight to a destination...if you don't get it..you have every right to complain.

Just a tip for you in the future as you don't seem bothered in being screwed over....

oh i complain as much as the next bloke, christ i complain lol

but with ryanair you know theyre a dreadful service, you know their customer service is non existant, you know theyll do everything they can to screw you out of your money. if you dont like it dont use them

its that simple

regardless of what youre saying it still boils down to risk v reward for badly run companies

ryanair are no different to hiring a dodgy carpenter who you KNOW is dodgy, and has made a complete balls of a load of jobs, but he gets it right a fair bit of the time and is a quarter the price of the next bloke. if you think the risk outweighs the savings, then go for a reputable service

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Well that depends on which airline one has a ticket on, some airlines will comply with the law, and some will not

Well, no airline is going to give you a hotel while waiting for your plane unless it's overnight, while you seem to think you're entitled to one after 5 hours
    Well as you have already pointed out to me in your great wisdom: 'If the delay continues overnight, you're then entitled to a hotel and transfers.' thats what I would expect, rather then be left holding a handful of crap.

The source of 'my great wisdom' is actually the link you gave, in support of your 'hotel after 5 hours' argument, which, as I've pointed out, you obviously didn't bother to read.

So you're saying Ryanair cancelled a flight and left you stranded somewhere abroad, didn't provide any alternative flight, left you there overnight and didn't provide any hotel accommodation, and for some reason instead of having any money you were carrying a handful of faeces?

If that's the case why haven't you taken them to the small claims court to claim the compensation you're clearly due under EU 261/2004?
    lts face it If you had paid €60 for a tangible item, or any other service you would expect to get what you pay for right!!!
    A tangible item like dignity, perhaps?

If you hate Ryanair so much, why don't you try a different airline?

I've sat in Amsterdam for 5 hours because the full crew on board the plane right outside the window didn't want to fly to Cork. We had to wait for the other Aer Lingus flight to come from Paris so they could swap planes when they arrived.

Well I assume most likely the Aer Lingus plane had a tech problem and was unable to fly, at least they got a replacement aircraft, met their obligation to you and they did not leave you stranded. Much better then the other two alternatives, risk the lives of the passengers or abandon them at the airport because they do not have spare aircraft. Now which would have been the most likely option given, had you been on a Ryanair flight............................????????????

I am sure cos there are so many passengers only paying 1 - 25 euro for their flight that Ryanair will take the option of offering refunds the flight cost to passengers to absolve them of any futher responsibility to the passengers they leave stranded. Why cos thats the cheaper then flying out a spare aircraft and knowing that at least 80% of those passengers will not even bother writing in for their refund. That makes great business sense!!! eh????

Then what happens when 180 passenger need to rebook on another airline at a moments notice, yr ticket is going to cost a small fortune cos you only get cheap tickets when booked well in advance. you may have travel insurance, but if one is coming back from their hols then if you are traveling as a family having spent a small fortune on their holidays can you expect to have a another spare 1500 euro sitting around to get you all home cos Ryanair does not have spare planes and your insurance company's not going to instantly compensate you either.

Remember Ryanair's market is for those who could not afford to fly so regular in the early days and to bring cheap travel to the masses. Well when stranded those same people are just left to their own means which are not much more then they had in those early days before Ryanair was in Business

I agree that many passengers get from A to B and back in fact the vast majority do, but if you get caught out in a Ryanair problem expect no mercy cos as good old murphy's law says 'if it can go wrong it eventually will'

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

@ c4cat. Ive flown Ryanair dozens of times. Ive been delayed sometimes, same as with other airlines, but never stranded and told F.U. I get the impression you have? This thread is four pages long, rather than trawl back to check your posts, what has been your worst experience with them?

Advertisement