Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online Wedding Photo Album

Options
  • 30-06-2008 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

I'm wondering if an online wedding album service would be a good business idea?

I constantly make websites for people to host their wedding photos. I wonder how much people would pay for a service where their wedding memories are available digitally forever more, from anywhere in the world.

Also i have the ability to allow users (people who view the site) to upload photos to the site. This way, people can upload their own photos to the online wedding album. Meaning that you can have thousands of photos, which you may comment on and also rate :)

I wonder if this would make a good gift? or if the happy couple themselves would invest in it? I'm thinking of charging 250euro for the service. The owners (maybe the happy couple) themselves can administer (edit/remove photos/comments/etc and change settings all done very simply) the sites and i would obviously provide a support service (maybe at a cost, i don't want to be bombarded with simple questions which are answered in the website's FAQ :))

For an example of what i'm talking about, see http://www.daniloandorla.vze.com. (this web address would obviously be a lot neater)

(NOTE: Please don't try to upload photos, post any comments, or interfere in any way with the site above. There are options to make the site private so that only approved people can log in and see the photos. You may also set upload permissions, etc. I have left this one open so that you can see it without registering :o)

Would you pay 250euro for this service (don't worry, i wont make you buy it :p)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,244 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Something like this? http://www.wedorama.com

I think between the likes of above and Facebook etc, you'll find it hard to persuade people to spend €250.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭ldusoswa

eoin_s wrote: »
    Something like this? http://www.wedorama.com

I think between the likes of above and Facebook etc, you'll find it hard to persuade people to spend €250.

True, but this does have the ability for users to upload their own photos.

I can't really compete with $70 nor would i want to do it on that large a scale. The difference is, however that wedorama sites involve a large volume of work from the owner, and in mine the users generate the content.

For instance one could include the web address in the thank you cards, and then the users would generate the content.

Do many people use wedorama?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,244 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

ldusoswa wrote: »
    True, but this does have the ability for users to upload their own photos.

I can't really compete with $70 nor would i want to do it on that large a scale. The difference is, however that wedorama sites involve a large volume of work from the owner, and in mine the users generate the content.

For instance one could include the web address in the thank you cards, and then the users would generate the content.

Do many people use wedorama?

I would be very surprised if there was any work for the wedorama site operators.

For the sake of $70 you should sign up and see what the process is. It looks to be pretty extensive. It doesn't mention if other people can upload to it though, which would be worth checking out.

I have no idea how many users they have - it was sent to me by someone who was looking around for something similar (and was surprised that she may be charged a few hundred for a bespoke site).

Also, the likes of Facebook have pretty sophisticated albums (photo tagging and all that), so this may be a hard market to break into.

Thanks for the advice :D Really appreciate your honesty :D

This would only be an on the side business for me though... Maybe i could lower the price, i dunno... Another thing is that that wedding album place want $70 a year :eek:. My 250 seems steep but it is forever. i mean, over the space of 5 years we work out at roughly the same price except in 20 years time people can still view mine without spending a grand to get there.

Couple that with the amount that people spend on wedding gifts (like crystal :mad:) i don't think it's all that bad an idea.

ALSO, (god do i ever shut up :p) we are now at the stage where more computer literate people than ever before are getting married.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭DJ_Spider

Also there is things like Flikr and Picassaweb. But obviuosly worth looking into, maybe post on some of the wedding forum sites like weddings online and see what the feedback is?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 mummymum

Hi

check out www.eweddings.com it's an american based site but it pretty much exactly what you have described - and it's free!

You can put your invites on it, check rsvp's, put up maps. THe wedding photos and guests can upload their photos too.

LOL most irish people would FREAK OUT when they see that page... it's all over the place...

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭jubi lee

doubt you'll get any interest in this...

i know i wouldn't use it. it's be cheaper for me to keep the photos on a disk or put them up on facebook etc rather than keeping them up on the web forever and paying 250 euro for the priviledge.

just wouldn't see much uptake on it. it isn't unique and is either free or cheaper elsewhere

also how many people would be regularly accessing them after the first few months?? very few i'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭DotOrg

ldusoswa wrote: »
    I'm wondering if an online wedding album service would be a good business idea?

Would you pay 250euro for this service (don't worry, i wont make you buy it :p)?

you'd probably do well, selling this service to wedding photographers who'd offer it as part of their packages

I for one have been looking for a good service like this to offer my customers and I'm sure lots of others have too

Thanks DotOrg,

I will be pursuing this business but i wont be depending on it :D I have the bulk of the work done, i just have some user-friendliness to enhance...

i think i can make money from it, but i don't think this will make me my first million ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement