Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sea Fishing In Cork

Options
  • 30-06-2008 11:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi, Im new to the Cork area and to fishing.
    Was at curraghbinny pier near ringaskiddy for two hours on saturday and not even a bite, then moved to Myrtleville just outside crosshaven for three hours and fished from the rocks for a bit, but moved to the beach due to the amount of gear I was loosing. Still didn't catch anything. The most off putting thing however was the fact that I didn't see another fisherman all day!! These places were recommended to me and just wondering if I went at the wrong time (from about 2 until 8 pm) or what I was doing wrong.
    Also if these places aren't good can anyone recommend a better sea fishing area in cork?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭jArgHA

Hi Murt,

Have a read of this thread which I started about a year ago - I got some good tips on locations and links through the thread:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055112215

There is a good map of fishing spots with species provided here:
    http://www.cfb.ie/fishing_in_ireland/sea/maps.htm (try Cork Harbour)

I recently found this page which lists fishing marks around Cork also, and the species that can be caught at those locations:
    http://www.sea-angling-ireland.org/shore%20-%20cork%20-%20south.htm (try Cork Harbour link again!)

Let us know how you get on!

jAH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Popanddrop

Hi,
    I fish the cork area regulary and I am wondering if you could answer a few things to me so I could help you out.
    1. What species are you targeting?
    2. What areas would you travel to?
    3. Have you ever thought of pairing up with someone from your local area who could show you the ropes on sea fishing?

Sorry to jump in on this but just a question for Popanddrop:

I've been fishing with feathers for as long as I can remember (and hence only catching mackerel, pollack and once a garfish). This summer I would like to learn how to fish for bass from beaches. Can you tell me what beaches you would fish for bass from - I was thinking of trying somewhere out Shanagarry/Garryvoe direction?

Is the bass season all year round, or mainly in the summer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Sgt Murt

"1. What species are you targeting?
    3. Have you ever thought of pairing up with someone from your local area who could show you the ropes on sea fishing?"

Hi, thanks for the reply, Im not really targeting any species in particular, I just love the sea and so fishing was the natural thing to take up for me (when its too cold to fish) i'd really like to catch anything though as I get incredibly excited when I feel the line snag on something (which always turns out to be rocks or sea weed unfortunatly).
    Im willing to travel anywhere in cork really, but would prefer places close to the city.
    And none of my cork mates have any interest. I go fishing with a mayo man, unfortunately he's as bad as me!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Sgt Murt

Thanks a mill jArgHA, will check a few of these out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

jArgHA wrote: »
    Sorry to jump in on this but just a question for Popanddrop:

I've been fishing with feathers for as long as I can remember (and hence only catching mackerel, pollack and once a garfish). This summer I would like to learn how to fish for bass from beaches. Can you tell me what beaches you would fish for bass from - I was thinking of trying somewhere out Shanagarry/Garryvoe direction?

Is the bass season all year round, or mainly in the summer?

bass season can be all year ( except from mid may to mid juen when the bass ban comes into effect, their spawning time)

other than then you can get bass pretty much all year round, personally i have more success in autumn than in summer... better surf, storms, less bright sunshine etc.

garryvoe does turn up a few bass , have a looka t the fisheries board map for an idea of bass marks, again I'd personally favour a smaller beach than garryvoe ... the theory being that the bass patrol up and down a beach, smaller beach = better chance of you having your lugform in front of his face at any time.

growler wrote: »
    bass season can be all year ( except from mid may to mid juen when the bass ban comes into effect, their spawning time)

other than then you can get bass pretty much all year round, personally i have more success in autumn than in summer... better surf, storms, less bright sunshine etc.

garryvoe does turn up a few bass , have a looka t the fisheries board map for an idea of bass marks, again I'd personally favour a smaller beach than garryvoe ... the theory being that the bass patrol up and down a beach, smaller beach = better chance of you having your lugform in front of his face at any time.

This really is the perfect answer for you, the best baits would be mackerel, lugworm and peeler crab. Also plugging/spinning off a beach or rock mark in the evening can prove very productive.

Sgt Murt wrote: »
    "1. What species are you targeting?
    3. Have you ever thought of pairing up with someone from your local area who could show you the ropes on sea fishing?"

Hi, thanks for the reply, Im not really targeting any species in particular, I just love the sea and so fishing was the natural thing to take up for me (when its too cold to fish) i'd really like to catch anything though as I get incredibly excited when I feel the line snag on something (which always turns out to be rocks or sea weed unfortunatly).
    Im willing to travel anywhere in cork really, but would prefer places close to the city.
    And none of my cork mates have any interest. I go fishing with a mayo man, unfortunately he's as bad as me!! :D

Well I am glad to hear that you have a love for the sea, basicially fishing is alot about research an experimenting.
    First find a location, study it for a few minutes and try and determine were the fish would be( low tide is the best time for this). Secondly if you are in a new place try find a tackle shop to gain information.
    Thirdly is selecting bait to suit your intended species. Mackerel works well along with peeler crab and lug for a huge varity of species. If I were you once I had the location chosen I would make sure to pack two different types of bait to target a wide number of species or to make cocktails.
    Rig selection is very important and you should have a number of different rigs already made so you can switch over quickly. The best way to learn on how to make rigs is to buy a good sea fishing book or the Sea Angler Magazine.
    Wether you are fishing a beach/Pier/rock mark make sure to also bring a spinning outfit. This enables you to be bottom fishing and spinning at the same time and also may gain you some extra bait(mackerel).
    When you are fishing you have to stay mobile, if one place isnt fishing move to the next and try again.
    Weather is very important when fishing, Sunny clear weather is good for pollack and mackerel in the evenings but is to bright for other species to move into shallow water. In this case I would start fishing in the middle of the evening and start with spinning until darkness when you can start fishing the bottom. If you have rough weather and a good surf your best bet is Bass, peeler and lug are the two best baits with sandeel and mackerel used as a backup.
    Hopefully this information can help you and if you have anymore questions just ask.icon10.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭oflynno

i have been threatening to go fishing more
    i live in cork too

i have done the kinsale road bridge,great with the kids and have tried the old road,nothing and the beach across from the town ,nothing either

that was last year
    last sunday i went down near roberts cove but got no bites,lost feathers,a treble hook from a bass lure and a hook and weight with a sandeel on it

i was there just at high tide and fished for 2 hours and went home,sunburnt!

what species can you catch around at low tide,i've never done it but might try soon

i'd like to catch eating varities mainly,mackerel,bass and cod,if possible

Thanks for all the tips thus far on the bass. when beach casting for bass (or any species), is the usual routine to cast way out, put your rod on a rod stand, sit down and wait? or does one cast out far, put rod on stand and wait for a certain period of time before reeling in and recasting (in case crabs etc. have eaten the bait).

I've really got to get a book on all this - would anyone have a recommendation on a good sea fishing book which details what to get and how to make one's own rigs?

• Advertisement

jArgHA wrote: »
    Thanks for all the tips thus far on the bass. when beach casting for bass (or any species), is the usual routine to cast way out, put your rod on a rod stand, sit down and wait? or does one cast out far, put rod on stand and wait for a certain period of time before reeling in and recasting (in case crabs etc. have eaten the bait).

I've really got to get a book on all this - would anyone have a recommendation on a good sea fishing book which details what to get and how to make one's own rigs?

Ok a few tips here,
    1. A proper angler will never sit down and wait, if you are serious into fishing you will always be doing something, eg, preparing baits, spinning/plugging.
    2.You do not nessiciarly need to cast far to get the fish. Off a beach I have caught 7LB bass as close in as 45 yards. I have seen people caught them at 10 yards. I have fishing rocks marks which go onto sand and have caught codling as close in as 10 yards.
    3.As a rule of thumb bait should be changed regulary, I prefer every 20mins, this allows plenty of time for the fish to find it before the juices run out. Peeler crab especially. Make sure that any frozen or soft bait is bound on with elastic thread before casting, this allows for both more baith to stay on the hook when in cast and secondly small fish or crabs cannot strip the bait.
    4. Easons in cork currently stocks a good selection of sea angling books, Sea angler also produces a book called `Rigs and Baits` which can be ordered through their magazine.

oflynno wrote: »
    i have been threatening to go fishing more
    i live in cork too

i have done the kinsale road bridge,great with the kids and have tried the old road,nothing and the beach across from the town ,nothing either

that was last year
    last sunday i went down near roberts cove but got no bites,lost feathers,a treble hook from a bass lure and a hook and weight with a sandeel on it

i was there just at high tide and fished for 2 hours and went home,sunburnt!

what species can you catch around at low tide,i've never done it but might try soon

i'd like to catch eating varities mainly,mackerel,bass and cod,if possible

Kinsale is my main patch when it comes to fishing. It can be very productive when you know how and where to fish.
    THE KINSALE BRIDGE- a good mark for species such as mackerel and garfish. Winter produces codling and Whiting on lugworm baits. Besides that you arent going to catch much else from this mark.
    The OLD BRIDGE- a bass and flounder mark which crab and lug are mainly used.Mid summer-November.
    KINSALE HARBOUR- Mullet fishing is the main one here with huge shoals from April-October. Bread is the main biat.
    SILLY WALKWAY- Fish from the walkway can produce in summer = Dogfish, Mackerel, Mullet. Winter= Codling, Whiting, Pouting, Flounder, Dogfish. Main baits are Lugworm, Ragworm and Mackerel.

Roberts Cove can produce Plaice on ragworm in the summer months.
    Usually unfished in winter.

Thanks again for the tips Popanddrop, you seem to have a wealth of knowledge on fishing and Cork's fishing marks. I'm going to try my first blast at bass fishing some time next week (after doing some more reading in the meantime), and think I will try White Bay near Roches Point as my mark. Just got to get hold of some lugworm before then...

Thats great I`m glad to here you are going to give it a try. If you do manage to get hold of some lugworm make sure you wrap it in newspaper before you go fishing, this hardens the worms skin so that it stays on the hook better in the cast so there is no need to use bait elastic.

Also what time is the tide that you are fishing in white bay?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 citytillidie2k8

Sgt Murt wrote: »
    Hi, Im new to the Cork area and to fishing.
    Was at curraghbinny pier near ringaskiddy for two hours on saturday and not even a bite, then moved to Myrtleville just outside crosshaven for three hours and fished from the rocks for a bit, but moved to the beach due to the amount of gear I was loosing. Still didn't catch anything. The most off putting thing however was the fact that I didn't see another fisherman all day!! These places were recommended to me and just wondering if I went at the wrong time (from about 2 until 8 pm) or what I was doing wrong.
    Also if these places aren't good can anyone recommend a better sea fishing area in cork?

ID SAY THE BEST SPOT IS IN PASSAGE WEST OR DOWN IN YOUGHAL THATS WERE I GO FISHING MOST OF THE TIME AND COME HOME VERY HAPPY WITH MY CATCH

ya both these locations are really good.

Popanddrop wrote: »
    Also what time is the tide that you are fishing in white bay?

I think there's a high tide around 11pm on Wednesday and around midnight on Thursday, so if I make it out I may try and fish this tide as it comes in starting at around 9pm or so. It looks like it'll be a neap tide though with the moon in first quarter phase on the Thursday - I guess this will not be as good as if it was a spring tide on full/new moon.

Those tides sound perfect because bass feed the best between the last 1-2hours of light and the first few hours of darkness.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 pratheesh

Hi Guys,
    I used to go fishing from the pier below fort camden in crosshaven. the gates have been closed since last year. But I've read somewhere that you can still get to the pier somehow.
    does anybody know how to reach em ?

Used to be a great fishing mark.

• Advertisement

sorry i dont know, what is it like I have never fished it?

i know the pier you are talking about but have never fished there before

did i read somewhere that there is now a private residence there and thats what the gate is closed for?

what species of fish did you catch there?

the pub down the end of that road(crosshaven side) should know what the story is with access to that spot,otherwise try the boat yard

i remember as a kid fishing off the old head of kinsale in the summer and its peeing off they closed it off,nothing against golf,but i'd love to get down there again

• Registered Users Posts: 26 pratheesh

yea its really sad they closed the place. somethin about teenagers drinkin and makin a mess was the initial excuse i think ..

the place yielded plenty of flatfish, tonnes of mackerel, pollack, dogfish. saw a bunch of moroccan guys catch a eel about 5feet plus (it seemed that big :) ).. took 4 of em to hold the monster down.

some guys told me that they used to get good cods and whitings as well.

For mackerels you didnt even have to cast the line out.. just drop it straight down from the pier and jigg it.. my personal record was 6 mackerels at a time.. (had only 6 feathers :) )

will try asking the pub..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭paddybar

camden fort is easy to get to(Ithink) Ihaven't been there in a few years but if you driv up and park at the fort walk down tha path to the left of the gaa pitch and follow it down to graball beach,then go left over to the fort .it used to be easy to hop up the wall and get straight onto the pierand as far as I know it still is .dont go that way if the sea is rough as you will get wet if the tide is fully in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭paddybar

sorry forgot to mention ,if you go right from graball instead of left and follow the cliff path you will come to a small head called the bull rock and its an excellent mark.somewhere close by is a tiny beachthat involves a small scramble down a cliff but I was told this is a good place for bass

Can anyone tell me where is the closest place to Cork city to pick up a few lugworms? Also, any tips on where peeler crab can be found - does this vary based on time of year?

jAH

the fishing shop at the kinsale road roundabout normally have access to all baits
    and its a way cleaner than the mucky low tide

at low tide on the way into cobh just after fota there is a weedy spot where i used to collect crab a good few years ago,its messy but they used to be there

i just find the shop easier cos i've got lazy:D

ok thanks flynno

I actually work close enough to that fishing shop (up at the Airport Business Park) so I must take a spin down to see what they have.

Its a great shop with plenty there. they stock all kinds of bait and have a huge lure selction, their fairly priced and everything you need is there.
    www.corkanglingcentre.com they havent put much on it yet though.

• Advertisement

Yeah I dropped in yesterday and it is a fantastic shop alright. I didn't see any live bait though, just frozen lugs (not cheap at €9), sandeel, mackerel & I think they had squid (no crab).

What is the best way to present frozen lug!? Does it need to be defrosted the day before going fishing or something?

Advertisement