Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

is there baby boom this year??

Options
  • 27-06-2008 4:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 49

im just wondering..as im unsure..is there a babyboom on at the moment..i dont know weather is beacuse im preganant myself and am seeing trillions of other preganant woment or its the norm ..
    there are so many people i know right now who are due roughly the same time as me in oct/nov/dec..
    was wondering as im going semi private in rotunda and prob wont even get a bed!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

funkyniff wrote: »
    im just wondering..as im unsure..is there a babyboom on at the moment..i dont know weather is beacuse im preganant myself and am seeing trillions of other preganant woment or its the norm ..
    there are so many people i know right now who are due roughly the same time as me in oct/nov/dec..
    was wondering as im going semi private in rotunda and prob wont even get a bed!

I think when you are pregnant that it feels that everyone else is pregnant....
    I was in smyths toystore today, and it was really wierd cause on every aisle there was a pregnant lady. I felt I was comparing my bumps to them!!

Maybe you can discuss your bed concerns with the midwives in the rotunda, I know if I was paying for semi-private, I would want to be guaranteed a room.

Best of luck.

I have noticed the same I think its because there nothing good on TV these days :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 COCKCUSTARD

My girlfriend just had my nine and a half pound baby boy last week. Holles street was jammed.It was like a bus in india minus the chickens and sunshine.
    On the 1st of july there was 38 babies born there.....IN ONE DAY!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

I've noticed the same thing too (and I'm not pregnant;))
    Everywhere I look are babies and pregnant women.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

The company I work for is spread over four floors. There are 9 women pregnant on one floor. I think that kind of negates a baby boom! I know 15 women who are pregnant (women that I am close too!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

My partner is pregnant (:)) and we have noticed a big increase in pregnant woman around the place :p

It could be just our increased awareness but it seems like a baby boom alright:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

You could be right!
    Linky

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

I dunno.. I think when something is on your mind, you'll notice it more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

My sister just gave birth in Rotunda on Wed & another friend's daughter did yesterday. Hospital very full, delivering 25 babies a day!!! Both my sister & friend's daughter had to wait a few hours before going from prenatal to delivery ward, even though 4cm dialated. But it was cos women kept coming into emergency and they were more dialated then them so had to go first. I have to say, the nurses & midwives were lovely & they were coping with it well. If you're going semi-p then you'll prob be fine but don't expect to stay in delivery ward long after giving birth as they have to get you out so next lady can go in

• Registered Users Posts: 24,146 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Was wondering the same thing myself - I'm seeing pregnant women everywhere since my girlfriend got pregnant!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭KBarry

According to my GP there is. Was a boring winter/spring wasn't it? ;)
    We're expecting our first (at age 38), my cousin (34), and 2 friends (40 & 35) are expecting their firsts too. They are all over the world, so it's not only Ireland either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Lillyella

Its funny about noticing them more when you are pregnant yourself. The depressing thing is though, that these women all look a hell of a lot better than I do. :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

KBarry wrote: »
    According to my GP there is. Was a boring winter/spring wasn't it? ;)
    We're expecting our first (at age 38), my cousin (34), and 2 friends (40 & 35) are expecting their firsts too. They are all over the world, so it's not only Ireland either.

A baby boom always happens at the start of an economic recession.

The last big one, just at the start of the oil crisis of the 70's

Whenever faced with an a seriously worrying existential threat, humans have an urge to multiply.

That's why, with Israel, they try and create uncomfortable conditions for the Palestinians,,, but they keep having children.

It's like whack a mole

all that apart
    Congratulations on your baby

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I am convinced there is too.
    I keep seeing pregnant women everywhere I go:)

• Registered Users Posts: 21 brazen_dude

Somewhere i read that slump in economy leads to baby boom... may be thats the reason :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭marti101

As long as i dont see my pregnant i will be happy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

You were right.

This is from todays Independant
    by Louise Hogan

Thursday August 28 2008

THERE was a dramatic surge in births among women in their 30s last year, with one in nine -- or 40,000 -- having a baby.

There were 70,620 new arrivals last year, which was the highest number of newborns recorded since 1982, according to the latest figures from the Central Statistics Office (CSO).

The provisional figures reveal that many women are waiting until later in life to have a child, as the starkest increases in births were among those aged 35 to 39.

There were close to 40,000 babies born to women in their 30s, compared with over 25,000, among women in their 20s.

Around 17pc of babies were born to non-Irish women last year, with migration explaining less than half of the increase, according to a CSO spokesman.

Around a third of births were outside marriage, while half of those were to cohabiting parents.

The average age of a first time mother last year was 28.8 years. However, this varied countrywide. The average age for a woman giving birth to her first child was highest in Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown at 31 years, while it was lowest in Limerick city at 26 years.

Schoolgirls

More than 210 schoolgirls below the age of consent gave birth to babies last year.

Around 65 teenage girls, aged 15 and under, gave birth. One was married, while a further eight others were living with a partner, according to the figures.

A further 148 babies were born to 16-year-olds and 391 to those aged 17.

The Crisis Pregnancy Agency said there were supports for young girls who have an unplanned baby.

Director Caroline Spillane said Ireland had a relatively low rate of teenage pregnancy but it was still an issue.

"That is why it is so important for parents to talk to their children about relationships and sex, as they play the central role in educating their children on the subject," she said.

Two of my friends around my age ( 38) who haven't had any are now having babies , others are trying to conceive. I did suspect we might be the reason behind the boom as there's a whole generation of us who would have planned to begin their family after 35.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭beaushalloe

i definately think there is! i know loads of people who are or have just been pregnant. why would there be a baby boom just as a resession is startin? (im not being sarcastic, i would like to know:rolleyes:)

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭KBarry

i definately think there is! i know loads of people who are or have just been pregnant. why would there be a baby boom just as a resession is startin? (im not being sarcastic, i would like to know:rolleyes:)

People being cautious with their money and finding other ways to keep themselves entertained ? :P (just a guess, I'd like to know if that's the real reason)

• Advertisement

The provisional figures reveal that many women are waiting until later in life to have a child, as the starkest increases in births were among those aged 35 to 39.

It's me! I'm responsible for the boom! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 funkyniff

KBarry wrote: »
    People being cautious with their money and finding other ways to keep themselves entertained ? :P (just a guess, I'd like to know if that's the real reason)

i wonder if its not the otherway round..
    baby booms do happen every 30 years as the last time round baby boomers are now ready to start there own family..
    but if the (30yr old) baby boomers..stop buying expensive cars ect..because they have to save for wedding/baby then thats will have a effect on the economy surely..
    well this is what i belive anyway..

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

But they waited so long so that they would not have to make those sacrifices so maybe not:)

Advertisement