Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

M8 motorway (general thread)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭larryone

Unfortunately I didn't have the camera with me this time. Some places the surfacing is nearly finished and the wall is up. Other places they're still doing major earthworks. This bridge (http://osm.org/go/es2bOTyL) has probably been opened since I did the survey. The southernmost bridge just before the tie in hadn't opened yet either. It seems that alot of it is very far advanced, with one or two places that are miles behind... I didnt get to the southern part of the M7 after the M8 split off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Just changed the title of this thread from "The N/M8 upgrade: a thread to chart its progress" to the more regularised title it now holds.

These "general" M# threads are for infrastructural discussions of already-open sections.

For updates on the unfinished section of the M8, see and post here.

How are the junction 8 ramps looking now? They must be almost complete. I wonder if a reduction in speed limit will follow; the junction 8 southbound on-ramp is practically raping the junction 9 off-ramp. Tisn't helty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭cantalach

Furet wrote: »
    How are the junction 8 ramps looking now? They must be almost complete. I wonder if a reduction in speed limit will follow; the junction 8 southbound on-ramp is practically raping the junction 9 off-ramp. Tisn't helty.

Four days ago you renamed this thread and posted to tell us that it was for discussing COMPLETED (your emphasis - not mine) sections of the M8. Your very next post is an enquiry into how some construction is going. Huh!? I can see the distinction, in that the construction to which you now refer is on a completed section...but am I alone in finding this distinction a bit arbitrary? This seems to me like a classic case of "it's my football so we're playing by my rules."

Arbitrary? I'm not a robot so don't expect 100% logic and consistency. There are MULTIPLE threads all over the forum on the same roads so a bit of organisation was attempted. My logic in posting here is that the junction 8 works relate to an already-completed scheme. It seems clear enough to me. *Sheesh* :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭The Word Is Bor

The two junctions are so close to together that I would expect an auxillary lane between them in both directions as this unofficial MSA will be attracting a lot of local trips.

They are still at capping/drainage stage on both slip roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Colm R

I don't understand why the juntions were not combined into one.

You can have a road either side of the M8, linking the junctions. The extra space would not be much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

cantalach wrote: »
    Four days ago you renamed this thread and posted to tell us that it was for discussing COMPLETED (your emphasis - not mine) sections of the M8. Your very next post is an enquiry into how some construction is going. Huh!? I can see the distinction, in that the construction to which you now refer is on a completed section...but am I alone in finding this distinction a bit arbitrary? This seems to me like a classic case of "it's my football so we're playing by my rules."

Seems to me like a classic case of finding a problem where there isn't one...
    Furet wrote:
    These "general" M# threads are for infrastructural discussions of already-open sections.

The M8 section in question is completed and therefore the topic was brought up in the correct thread. Construction, whether it be a new interchange, overbridge, culvert, underpass, power line, cabling or even just resurfacing is going to take place on existing sections of roadway. This thread deals with that.

There is nothing "arbitrary" about the distinction. When the M8 is fully complete you can argue this point, but not when it isn't and there are other threads out there dealing with the incomplete section.

Colm R wrote: »
    I don't understand why the juntions were not combined into one.

You can have a road either side of the M8, linking the junctions. The extra space would not be much.

Would've been more ideal. I'd still rather Topaz/McDonalds etc. had bid for the Cashel MSA, than this atrocity. But that's the NRA's fault.

Junction 8 should be completely operational by now. Anyone going to be passing by over the weekend?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

It certainly wasn't on Wednesday evening, didn't look close either.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭ForiegnNational

Junction 8 should be completely operational by now. Anyone going to be passing by over the weekend?

Drove past Saturday morning and they are still working on the gantry's, but the surface is complete, as is lining. Couldn't take South bound pictures as it was dark, but that is also pretty much complete with barriers up along it's length.

Have uploaded a few (poor quality camera phone) pictures:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

Drove past Saturday morning and they are still working on the gantry's, but the surface is complete, as is lining. Couldn't take South bound pictures as it was dark, but that is also pretty much complete with barriers up along it's length.

Have uploaded a few (poor quality camera phone) pictures:

Is that a weaving lane between Jct 8 & 9?

Regards!

Just took a spin on this blackest of nights from Cork to junction 7 (Cashel north). All the signage for the new junction 8 seems to be installed, including the cantilever, while the new slips seem to be lined.

I think the emergency lane between junction 8 and 9 on both sides has been sacrificed for a new lane that will connect the slip roads of both junctions.

Also, it has to be said that the cats' eyes on the Watergrasshill, Cashel and Fermoy bypasses are for the most part dreadful, and one really misses the concrete barrier reflectors on the Cashel to Mitchelstown and Fermoy Bypass schemes. The M8 was very busy between 6-7pm heading north. It's on nights like this that lives are saved by having the motorway in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭ForiegnNational

I think the emergency lane between junction 8 and 9 on both sides has been sacrificed for a new lane that will connect the slip roads of both junctions.

Junction is now completely open, yes Furet, the new lane does (thank god) extend between both junctions. No forced merge before the next junction, a most sensible design for a change.

Does anybody know when the (unofficial) Cahir Service Station that this was built to service will be open? I mistakenly told the 5 year old there will be a McDonalds there (see earlier thread) and I am now harangued each time we go past...

Are all the roads around it finished too? Last time I was off the motorway around there was during the summer. If there has been a sgnificant amount of stuff done here and with the uncompleted sections further north i might go do a bit of surveying before christmas.

Junction is now completely open, yes Furet, the new lane does (thank god) extend between both junctions. No forced merge before the next junction, a most sensible design for a change.

Does anybody know when the (unofficial) Cahir Service Station that this was built to service will be open? I mistakenly told the 5 year old there will be a McDonalds there (see earlier thread) and I am now harangued each time we go past...

I am driving by on Friday on my way up to Derry and hopefully I can persuade the other half to take a picture or two as we go by. RE the Cashel "service area", I emailed McDonalds a while ago to ask about that and to date I haven't received any reply.

Here's the response to a set of queries I submitted to South Tipp Co Co last Tuesday about their failure to take down old N8 signage and replace it with correct R639 signs:
    You might have noticed that there is an ongoing regional road signage national programme underway and some regional roads have had signs upgraded in the recent past. Since the opening of the M8 we have undertaken a detailed design process for replacement signs for the R639. This work has to be done in accordance with current Department standards. Each sign has to be carefully checked regarding its content, size of lettering, translation, overall size, support, foundations allowing for wind loads, etc.

We completed this task and have since gone through a tender process for the supply and erection of the signs. As a result the signs will be in place in the early new year. I hope that this answers your query.

I should also mention that we have also gone through a byelaw process to retain the majority of this rood at 100kph speed limits, thus these signs will be staying as they are.

Well, looks like it will be done at last. It's very important to have the alternative Dublin-Cork road and other approach roads signed correctly. I still think this should all have been done in tandem with the motorway's construction, however.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

\o/ at the "keeping to 100km/h" bit. I noticed the bypassed N2 in Monaghan has also kept its 100km/h intact; seems to be more councils going for this.

Well, looks like it will be done at last. It's very important to have the Alternative Dublin-Cork road and other approach roads signed correctly. I still think this should all have been done in tandem with the motorway's construction, however.

About time, and I absolutely agree, it should be part of the main construction contract.

I look forward to seeing the changes in the new year and will of course keep a careful eye out. The Junction 10 signage is the worst. Incorrect green signage all over the place, ORANGE works signage, a white "R639" sign, followed by a green "N8" ADS followed immediately by an "R639" ADS, blue patches horribly flung on... that junction needs urgent fixing signage-wise. The other M8 junctions are fine.

• Advertisement

Regarding junction 8, I passed this in daylight last Friday but didn't get a chance to look at it properly. I have to say though, that it did look like a good job, and I note that the speed limit has not been reduced. Anyone planning on taking a spin that way and snapping a few pictures? I'm curious to see how the "service area" is coming along. Since the M8 will be without a dedicated MSA for the forseeable future, the sooner this opens the better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

Regarding junction 8, I passed this in daylight last Friday but didn't get a chance to look at it properly. I have to say though, that it did look like a good job, and I note that the speed limit has not been reduced. Anyone planning on taking a spin that way and snapping a few pictures? I'm curious to see how the "service area" is coming along. Since the M8 will be without a dedicated MSA for the forseeable future, the sooner this opens the better.

...would be happy if I was an M8er myself, as it won't be Burger King! :)

Regards!

Having entered the M8 (n) from the junction 9 onslip, one finds that the slip forms a continuous lane to the junction 8 offramp.
    DSCF0033.jpg

DSCF0034.jpg

DSCF0036.jpg

DSCF0037.jpg

Approaching the new junction 8 onslip (s):
    DSCF0038.jpg

DSCF0039-1.jpg

DSCF0041-1.jpg

DSCF0042.jpg

All in all the job isn't as messy as it might have been, but the earthworks/landscaping seems to have been VERY poorly finished.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

Why did Cashel need 3 junctions, a small town. it was complete waste of money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

I'm guessing it was because it was originally designed as a self contained scheme, before final plans for the motorway were put in. Roundabouts at either end did the job nicely and rather than remove access they GSJed them.

A bigger argument is why does Athlone have six.

BTW: There's still no sign whatsoever of the service station/restaurant going up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,530 ✭✭✭veryangryman

I'm guessing it was because it was originally designed as a self contained scheme, before final plans for the motorway were put in. Roundabouts at either end did the job nicely and rather than remove access they GSJed them.

A bigger argument is why does Athlone have six.

No it isnt. Athlone has 18,000 inhabitants, Cashel 3000 (source wikipedia). Its actually baffling why Cashel has more than 1.

The fact that Athlone is situated at the most significant river barrier in the country justifies a couple of the extra exits also.

Most of the exits are not specifically for Athlone either as it is the meeting point for many major roads (N62, N55 and N61)

For 6 times the population of Cashel, 6 exits seems sound to me. Try navigating the town east-west some day and you will see the need

Mitchelstown, Fermoy and Cahir each have two exits. Cashel's third exit (8) is down to gombeenism and was expanded recently by private interests at no extra public cost.

I had to go to Cork from Cahir yesterday evening in atrocious conditions. The M8 was very busy the whole way down. Most people were doing about 110 km/h. It's hard to tell without access to numbers, but the Fermoy bypass seems to be continuing to attract more and more traffic. I can see the M8 becoming steadily busier over the next few years. Even last night at 3 or 4am I could hear quite a lot of traffic zooming along on it from my house.

• Advertisement

If you build it, they will come.
    The fact that traveling through that part of the country has become so much easier, makes it more attractive to go there.
    When I lived in Cork, I initially took busses for gonig to Dublin. After getting the car I did the journey more frequently. As more sections of motorway opened, it became easier.
    If there was no motorway, I would think twice about traveling, especially if weather conditions werent great. With the motorway, the hassle is largely gone, and I wouldnt be as discouraged by adverse weather conditions.

Advertisement