Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

European Union Forum

Options
  • 19-06-2008 12:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭

Just wanted to say the European Union forum was a great idea and is an extremely informative forum with plenty of lively and informed debate. Naturally, with the Lisbon treaty and aftermath it was inevitable that the debates would become a bit more heated but I have to say congrats to whoever is modding it cos it has rarely, if ever, crossed the line.

Like a referee, the best thing that can be said about a mod is that they go unnoticed and nothing noticeably bad is happening on their watch and that is the case here. Don't get me wrong, there's plenty of posters who's opinions I find incredible and there's definitely a few headstrong posters just itching for a row, but it has never spilled over or distracted from the debate.

I steer clear of the likes of politics.ie due to the associations of some of the folk in charge over there, but I find the debate on boards to be more balanced anyway and there's also the added benefit that some boards users might have no interest in this subject and then stumble into that forum and suddenly become interested.

So, fair play to all involved.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,892 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I concur. A great job from the moderators and posters involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Good post.

I think it's the widespread view of everyone that I've talked to that the EU forum here was much better than the discussion on politics.ie. On Politics.ie, the emphasis was on what the political partied were saying about it, whilst the EU forum covered a broader context and actually told people what they were voting on.

Mods all did a great job, and for the little bits that people tried to abuse, the mods handled fairly. Kudos to them mod dudes as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Yeah I have to say I'm really liking that forum, some great debate in it and the muppets are cleansed nice and quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Just wanted to say the European Union forum was a great idea.
    You're more than welcome.

It really is a great forum. Though I haven't posted much, I've read loads and it's amazing how little I know about things I thought I knew well. And yeah, kudos on the moderation.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Anyone else really disappointed that this isn't a bitchy thread? :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Rb wrote: »
    Yeah I have to say I'm really liking that forum, some great debate in it and the muppets are cleansed nice and quickly.
    I agree

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

I agree great addition to the site. I haven't spend much time on the Politics forum previously but I will be frequenting it more often.

At least until rugby comes back anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭padjocollins

sorry to post on a dead forum, can't find a relevant one . I'd just like to ask why Ireland hasn't signed up for this
    https://www.eetimes.eu/eu-signs-e145bn-declaration-to-develop-next-gen-processors-and-2nm-technology/ , not saying the decision is right or wrong, just would like to see some of their thinking on it.
    https://www.eetimes.eu/eu-signs-e145bn-declaration-to-develop-next-gen-processors-and-2nm-technology/

thanks

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,285 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Firstly this is not a "dead" forum. It's for sitewide Feedback

I would suggest you peruse the Technology and Internet category. There should be an appropriate forum there for your question

Advertisement