Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Betfair

• 10-06-2008 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭

I'm using betfair for the first time to put a few bets on for the us open... i can't seem to find an each way selection... i'm guessing that i have to put 2 seperate bets on? ie. back to win and then back to be in the top 5???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭hotspur

Yep.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭Degag

Its strange... while the win market is much better (than pp) the place market is much worse... take paul casey for example he's 130/1 on betfair compared to 80/1 on pp... yet he's 17.5/1 to place in the top 5 on betfair and obviously 20/1 eachway on pp... there is no advantage to betfair unless you back a golfer to win... which at the odds is pretty stupid...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

Tackle69 wrote: »
    Its strange... while the win market is much better (than pp) the place market is much worse... take paul casey for example he's 130/1 on betfair compared to 80/1 on pp... yet he's 17.5/1 to place in the top 5 on betfair and obviously 20/1 eachway on pp... there is no advantage to betfair unless you back a golfer to win... which at the odds is pretty stupid...

Well, that's kinda the idea of betfair. If you're not happy with 17.5/1 then try and get 20/1 or better. It's early yet for the US open betting, so it could get matched.

I agree with your general point though, as it's a pain in the butt waiting for it to get matched, and you have to watch or it will get matched after he has a triple bogey on the first:D

Betfair is the place to be for picking outright golf winners (normally). www.oddschecker.com should be a booklink on all punters PCs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

btw I got Casey on betfair at 150 yesterday evening. That's 150 to PP's 80/1 !!

Betfair spies are obviously watching this thread closely;)

Culchie open to lucrative offers to formulate your golf market:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭punchestown

Tackle69 wrote: »

But you have to have the 2 bets with Paddy Power (1 win 1 place) so if he placed you would be getting €21 back but at a cost of €2 (9.5/1) as opposed to Betfairs place market (1 bet) at the bigger price. You see it everyday with horses in the place market in Betfair and the each way return with the bookies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,002 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

But you have to have the 2 bets with Paddy Power (1 win 1 place) so if he placed you would be getting €21 back but at a cost of €2 (9.5/1) as opposed to Betfairs place market (1 bet) at the bigger price. You see it everyday with horses in the place market in Betfair and the each way return with the bookies.
    I agree with this part,
    the OP isn't comparing like with like.
    PP also offers place bets, which are never as good as the place part of an EW bet.

And thats because placing both a place bet and a win bet results in a lose of EV for the punter some of the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭ramanujan

Mellor wrote: »
    I agree with this part,
    the OP isn't comparing like with like.
    PP also offers place bets, which are never as good as the place part of an EW bet.

And thats because placing both a place bet and a win bet results in a lose of EV for the punter some of the time.

Just a quick thought on the above, I found it interesting that the win markets more competitve than the place markets on betfair (From a straight backers point of view). This is probably due to a liquity imo, as theres less $$$ in the place markets and so lay-ers get a slight premium.

eg
    paddy power often gives less attractive to win odds on a horse than BF
    but gives more attractive odds to place odds.

The reason why i think liquidity is the cause is because in big race meets like cheltenham the discrepancies tend to be much smaller. Although i havnt done any concrete stats on this.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,635 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

gavindcht wrote: »
    Not really sure about this but are you still using this philosophy and have proven you to be successful here? vbulletin-smile.gif

He's unlikely to reply after so long - please don't bump old threads!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement