Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband in sligo

Options
  • 01-06-2008 4:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭

Hi, for many years now i have called eircom and been told by exchange wasn't upgraded yet and its really pissing me off at this point. I use the net mostly for gaming. What does everyone else think of the broadband around sligo? I'm currently on fastcom, for the normal person its fine but for gaming its just isn't reliable or great. Im living in Rosses Point and just wanted to know if anyone has any info on when the Rosses Point exchange is going to be upgraded so i can get DSL.

Thanks !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,879 ✭✭✭✭muffler

The guys over in the broadband forum may be in a better position to answer your query.

This may also help with selecting available BB providers in your area. How accurate it is I have no idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

I know a guy who was told the same thing by eircom, but digiweb connected him, without changing a thing with the line. Eircom just want to be bastards.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,879 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I know a guy who was told the same thing by eircom, but digiweb connected him, without changing a thing with the line. Eircom just want to be bastards.
    Want to be? They dont even have to try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

Eircom just want to be bastards.

Careful now.... Most lines can proabaly support DSL, but below the minimum speed they sell. They will tell you no because they don't want the complaints about their speed issues.
    For example, people incessantly complain about their broadband speeds and connectivity issues, just look at any blog or forum. This is a normal occurance really, but put this into a group of lines that are going to be known issues? You can see where this is going............. It makes sense, they would rather not sell broadband to people that they know are going to have issues rather than listen to the complaints they are likely to get about it considering that there is sfa they can do about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭zonEEE

No the exchange isn't even updated for broadband

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

I know they spent millions on updating cabling and exchanges to give broadband to people in grange and outside places, but take up wasn't that great. Basically they've spend loads on this already and aint making it back in sales, hence why spend more?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Big_Mac wrote: »
    Careful now.... Most lines can proabaly support DSL, but below the minimum speed they sell. They will tell you no because they don't want the complaints about their speed issues.
    For example, people incessantly complain about their broadband speeds and connectivity issues, just look at any blog or forum. This is a normal occurance really, but put this into a group of lines that are going to be known issues? You can see where this is going............. It makes sense, they would rather not sell broadband to people that they know are going to have issues rather than listen to the complaints they are likely to get about it considering that there is sfa they can do about it

Thats got nothing to be with it tbh, afaik I know digiweb are just selling the eircom package to people under a different name. And speed hasn't been a problem for this man.

Big_Mac wrote: »
    I know they spent millions on updating cabling and exchanges to give broadband to people in grange and outside places, but take up wasn't that great. Basically they've spend loads on this already and aint making it back in sales, hence why spend more?

Well out here its flooded with fastcom so im sure people would switch no bother. DSL would be better speeds + better value

• Registered Users Posts: 7,968 ✭✭✭DenMan

It has to be an exchange problem. I live out near Strandhill and up until last year our landline was still a carrier line. For the last week I have had intermittent problems with the signal. Really frustrating the hell out of me as I do a lot of Film/TV work and need an excellent broadband signal for sending and receiving files. When i contact eircom they say "sorry for your inconvenience". The work is ongoing they say. :(

Yes it is an exchange problem. The problem being the wont update it for broadband

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Are upc/chorus in your area. They sent us a letter a while ago saying they had upgraded their network for broadband. Don't know what the pings are like on it but I imagine they would be good enough for gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Are upc/chorus in your area. They sent us a letter a while ago saying they had upgraded their network for broadband. Don't know what the pings are like on it but I imagine they would be good enough for gaming.

I got that letter too, but when I tried to sign up for, its not in my area.

Nope :/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

I also get a leaflet from Perlico every second day, but they don't provide here either. They have paid for each leaflet to be printed and paid An Post to deliver each one through my door (where's the "Aaarrgghh" Smiley). I'd really rather they paid to implement the service they are so desperately trying to sell. Its not a good indication of money management for that company.

Anyhoo, Fastcom it is, for the mo...

Advertisement