Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Re-Open Lisbon-Abortion Thread Please

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 804 ✭✭✭BMH

turgon wrote: »
    So I hope I didnt sound too much like I was supporting her.
    No I think it was pretty clear you weren't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

BMH wrote: »
    Please, this thread contains a complicated discussion

Maybe it's my man brain, but I don't find it complicated. Tedious and full of sh*t - yes; complicated - no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Ah, I wondered how long that would take.

If I lock threads I disagree with, we can work on the assumption that any thread in the EU forum expresses an opinion I agree with. Right?

Man, I'm one crazy, mixed-up individual.

Admitting the problem is the first step to solving it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

BMH wrote: »
    Please, this thread contains a complicated discussion that your woman-brain clearly doesn't understand.

I really, really hope that you piss me off some day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Ah, I wondered how long that would take.

If I lock threads I disagree with, we can work on the assumption that any thread in the EU forum expresses an opinion I agree with. Right?

Man, I'm one crazy, mixed-up individual.

Hey, if it makes you feel better, I'd have deleted the thread if you hadn't gotten there first and I don't even get to vote on the issue.

Actually, I *think* through some legal loophole I'm entitled to irish citizenship (I think also french) through my father. If I could get voting rights in time, I think I'd vote yes just to piss the soapboxers off (it is the no vote they're pushing right? I lose track of these things)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭jawlie

,8,1 wrote: »
    I cannot believe that moderator oscarBravo shut down my thread on the Lisbon Treaty and abortion. It is politicised abuse of moderator power on his behalf and the thread should be re-opened. He talks about promoting discussion but himself makes blunt, dictatorial posts such as "What part of ___ is unclear?", leaving no room to consider the finer points.

The OP is somewhat correct insofar as there is a perception that the moderator oscarbravo does delete posts/threads/opinions and bans profiles from the politics forum with which he either disagrees or does not like.

This has led to an impoverishment in discussion the politics forum in, for example, discussion on the Lisbon treaty. However, the beauty of cyberspace is that, as a result, a substantial part of the discussion has moved away from the politics forum to areas where this particular moderator has no influence.

While I have no doubt oscarbravo and his three or four acolytes would disagree with this perception, the evidence of the shift away from the political forum suggests that others disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

/smirks

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

,8,1 wrote: »
    Excusez-moi? What is this, Soviet-style intellectual integrity?

In Soviet Russia, Foetus abort mother.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

From what I can see ... OP started thread and spouted inaccurate information. When people provided facts to contradict said false information, OP/others ignored and continued to spout incorrect information.. thread locked to stop continued false information in the face of factual information.

How is this questionable?

I would do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

If you can't debate and back up your assertions then threads will be locked and deleted.

It obvious to all you are soap boxing and attempting to preach your agenda without the means to back up what you say.

• Advertisement

stovelid wrote: »
    Maybe it's my man brain, but I don't find it complicated. Tedious and full of sh*t - yes; complicated - no.
    It's definitely your man-brain.

gandalf wrote: »
    If you can't debate and back up your assertions then threads will be locked and deleted.

It obvious to all you are soap boxing and attempting to preach your agenda without the means to back up what you say.

If its so obvious to all, then what's the problem?

I've always believed that its best to question and engage with those with whom I disagree. Actually, it can be quite enlightening and interesting too. Are you really suggesting that it's better to just ban them discussing and exclude them if you don't like what someone says?

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

jawlie wrote: »
    If its so obvious to all, then what's the problem?

I've always believed that its best to question and engage with those with whom I disagree. Actually, it can be quite enlightening and interesting too. Are you really suggesting that it's better to just ban them discussing and exclude them if you don't like what someone says?

Try questioning and engaging with someone who cannot or will not see past their own rigid viewpoint. Especially on an essentially anonymous forum. Even more so on AH.

Such people will tend to aggressively defend their view, usually by a priori rationalisation, conceding not a single point. It all usually degenerates into a poo-slingling contest with one or more vapid cretins beings banned. That being the case, locking a thread before all this starts is often the best option.

Free Speech coupled with Interweb Forums is like giving a hand grenade to a monkey.

Not pretty.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Maximilian wrote: »
    Free Speech coupled with Interweb Forums is like giving a hand grenade to a monkey.

Not pretty.

Yet strangely you just cannot look away :(

Maximilian wrote: »
    Try questioning and engaging with someone who cannot or will not see past their own rigid viewpoint. Especially on an essentially anonymous forum. Even more so on AH.

Such people will tend to aggressively defend their view, usually by a priori rationalisation, conceding not a single point. It all usually degenerates into a poo-slingling contest with one or more vapid cretins beings banned. That being the case, locking a thread before all this starts is often the best option.

Not pretty.

Of course, one comes across such people in life too. My policy is to avoid them as engaging is of no use.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭IRLConor

If they have their hands over their ears and are shouting misinformation and don't stop spreading the misinformation when presented with the truth then it's best to close the thread.

It's not a question of liking or not liking what they say, it's a matter of "if you're willing to debate, go ahead; if not then go away".

The matter being "discussed" is a very simple one to resolve. There's a very clear statement in the protocols annexed to the treaties which stops the EU from making any law permitting abortion in Ireland. It's black and white with no room for a reasonable interpretation. Even the Catholic Archbishop of Dublin agrees, and he wouldn't do so if there was any doubt in the matter. Anyone arguing otherwise may as well be arguing that the earth is flat, which is OK if you have sufficient evidence and a sufficiently sophisticated argument. Merely repeating "the earth is flat" will get you nowhere.

Of course, one comes across such people in life too. My policy is to avoid them as engaging is of no use.
    Luckily, this is an internet board; drawing parallels to real life interactions is silly, since closing a thread isn't the same as locking away dissidents.

IRLConor wrote: »
    If they have their hands over their ears and are shouting misinformation and don't stop spreading the misinformation when presented with the truth then it's best to close the thread.

It's not a question of liking or not liking what they say, it's a matter of "if you're willing to debate, go ahead; if not then go away".

The matter being "discussed" is a very simple one to resolve. There's a very clear statement in the protocols annexed to the treaties which stops the EU from making any law permitting abortion in Ireland. It's black and white with no room for a reasonable interpretation. Even the Catholic Archbishop of Dublin agrees, and he wouldn't do so if there was any doubt in the matter. Anyone arguing otherwise may as well be arguing that the earth is flat, which is OK if you have sufficient evidence and a sufficiently sophisticated argument. Merely repeating "the earth is flat" will get you nowhere.

Just because some people agree "Even the catholic Archbishop of Dublin", doesn't mean there is no room for discussino. In any case, we already have abortion in Ireland, so the whole discussion on abortion seems pointless. I was trying to make a general point and not one specific to abortion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Dinter

Should be sent to the 'dome tbh.

Advertisement