Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fair City - Floyd is back!

• 24-05-2008 3:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭

First Hughie, now Floyd Phelan is coming back.

http://www.rte.ie/arts/2008/0523/faircity.html

They promise some shocking stories. Well, the last time he was around he slept with his sister, so what does that leave? His mother? Bela Doyle?

"But it was dark, and Bela is a girl's name!"

I don't think Rita will buy it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭TheWitch06

Is this supposed to rake in loads of viewers by bringing Floyd back? The soap will die out soon enough. LOL @ the Floyd + Bela joke :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

It's been so long since he was on the show that i'm wondering under what cloud was it that he left the show?

Don't see how his return would rake in viewers in any case

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Another new actor playing an old role. I did have an awful crush on the old guy I have to say. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭gogglebok

Chinafoot wrote: »
    Another new actor playing an old role. I did have an awful crush on the old guy I have to say. :o

It's a bit disturbing when that happens. (Not the crush. That's a bonus.) I remember when Home and Away searched all Australia for the person who looked least like the old Pippa in every way. It was like Invasion of the Very Unconvincing Bodysnatchers.

It would be funny if the other characters kept saying, "There's something odd about Floyd. Has he had some work done?"

I thought the reason Floyd left was the affair with Heather. Did I miss something? I might have been in one of my Corrie periods then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 hackwhore69

This lame duck soap wins TV Now Best Soap Award? Didn't make sense to me either. So, after years of ignoring it, I sat down to watch one episode of the damn thing again with quick flicking remote control in one hand and a bucket of ridicule in the other, then something odd happened. The usual sickening boredom didn't set in and before I could exclaim, What the **** is happening to me?' the end credits were rolling. I have to say folks, against my better judgment, the bastard thing drew me in, and now I'm hooked, so perhaps it's time for a little hats off ode to the insidiously seductive power of Fair City:

THE UGLY ****LING

There once was an ugly
    ****ling
    With stories all stubby and
    brown
    But the other soaps said in
    much better words
    Get out of town,
    Get ****, get ****, get out of
    town
    So it went with a smack
    and more twaddle from the crack
    In a hurry to Cidertown
    That poor little ugly
    ****ling
    Tried **** sad fat
    mares
    But on every channel they spat
    in its face
    Now get ****, get ****, get
    out of here
    And it took another whack
    so advanced to the crack
    With the thousand yard stare
    All through the new primetime
    it shat itself away
    Ashamed to show disgrace
    afraid of what critics might say
    All through the spinsters, with its
    lonely stump of meat
    Till a flock of ‘wans eyed
    it there and very soon
    agreed
    You’re a fine soap indeed
    A soap? Me a soap? Ah, go on!
    And they said, yes you’re a
    soap
    Take a gander at yourself on
    the box and you’ll see
    And it looked, and it saw,
    And it said
    I am a soap! Wheeeeeeee!
    I’m not such an ugly
    ****ling
    No stories all stubby and brown
    For in fact those birds in so
    many words said
    The best in town, the best,
    the best,
    The best in town
    Not a smack from the crack,
    Not twaddle from the crack
    But as sharp as a thistle
    With a showy pride back
    Giving head so noble and
    fly
    Say who’s an ugly
    ****ling?
    Not I!
    Not I!

• Advertisement

This lame duck soap wins TV Now Best Soap Award? Didn't make sense to me either. So, after years of ignoring it, I sat down to watch one episode of the damn thing, with quick flicking remote control in one hand and a bucket of ridicule in the other, then something odd happened. The usual sickening boredom didn't set in and before I could exclaim, What the **** is happening to me!' the end credits were rolling. I have to say folks, against my better judgment, the bastard thing drew me in, and now I'm hooked, so perhaps it's time for a little hats off ode to the insidiously seductive power of our own Fair City:

THE UGLY ****LING
    There once was an ugly
    ****ling
    With stories all stubby and
    brown
    But the other soaps said in
    much better words
    Get out of town,
    Get ****, get ****, get out of
    town
    So it went with a smack
    and more twaddle from the crack
    In a hurry to Cidertown
    That poor little ugly
    ****ling
    Tried **** sad fat
    mares
    But on every channel they spat
    in its face
    Now get ****, get ****, get
    out of here
    And it took another whack
    so advanced to the crack
    With the thousand yard stare
    All through the new primetime
    it shat itself away
    Ashamed to show disgrace
    afraid of what critics might say
    All through the spinsters, with its
    lonely stump of meat
    Till a flock of ‘wans eyed
    it there and very soon
    agreed
    You’re a fine soap indeed
    A soap? Me a soap? Ah, go on!
    And they said, yes you’re a
    soap
    Take a gander at yourself on
    the box and you’ll see
    And it looked, and it saw,
    And it said
    I am a soap! Wheeeeeeee!
    I’m not such an ugly
    ****ling
    No stories all stubby and brown
    For in fact those birds in so
    many words said
    The best in town, the best,
    the best,
    The best in town
    Not a smack from the crack,
    Not twaddle from the crack
    But as sharp as a thistle
    With a showy pride back
    Giving head so noble and
    fly
    Say who’s an ugly
    ****ling?
    Not I!
    Not I!

Do you seriously think it's up to the standards of the British soaps? I'm a fan, but a lot of that is because it's local. I don't think it can compete with Corrie when Corrie is on form.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Honestly I dont watch a whole lot of TV, Discovery, National Geographic, Stargate, but I love Fair City, mainly because the acting is so crap it makes it seem more realistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

They're obviously bringing him back so he can ride his sister again. They like reusing storylines. See: Priest + woman + sex = disgrace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭TheWitch06

gogglebok wrote: »
    Do you seriously think it's up to the standards of the British soaps? I'm a fan, but a lot of that is because it's local. I don't think it can compete with Corrie when Corrie is on form.

It's so not up to the standards of the British/Aussie soaps. I completely agree, the only reason i watch it also is because it is an Irish soap and for the terrible acting too :)

• Advertisement

True, there has too often been more ham on display than a butcher's front window but if you look at a character like Ray, he is a comic creation worthy of Coronation Street's best, and his double act with Keith has often been a joy, while, Bob's smarmy way with language and saliva is gold, and, in terms of the high dramatics, some of the actors have shed their pork skins and stepped into an unprecedented capacity to become human, e.g. Heather, Paul, Niamh, Charlie, Jo, Dermot - there have been a surprising number of occasions late where any one of these actors have produced moments of psychological truth that transcended the usually limiting 'Oirish' aspects of the show. Even the look of the damn thing seems to have improved immeasurably. I hate to say it folks, but I'm staking my claim on this mother****er proudly holding its head side by side with those insidiously pesky English others; perhaps even, someday, becoming the benchmark. (Can't believe I'm taking this **** so seriously, but it's gotten into my blood - maybe I need an exorcist.)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

(maybe I need an exorcist.)

Hello, I'm 6th.

Anyway, its cool to slag FairCity so people jump on the bandwagon.

Personally I enjoy it.

Azzie soaps are muck btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I never had you down as a Fair City fan 6th. Is it the acting ability (as in lack of) or the unbelievable (as in I can't believe you wrote that) storylines?

janeybabe wrote: »
    I never had you down as a Fair City fan 6th. Is it the acting ability (as in lack of) or the unbelievable (as in I can't believe you wrote that) storylines?

The story about Tracy and her sister is pretty good. They were acting their guts out on Sunday anyway. Fair enough, it's a story about a an ex-nun whose sister is an ex-prostitute, which could reek of cheese. I think it's handled well.

Does anyone else think the boyfriend is like Father Dougal? I don't know if that makes it more or less sad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

I enjoy it too.

Although the latest 'same character, different actor' scenario [Floyd] is not good.

Can they not retain actors?

Loads have been replaced over the years.

off the top of my head

Mags
    Yvonne
    Jimmy
    Darren
    Dolores
    Wayne
    Farrah (twice!)
    Kay
    Noeleen
    Ciara
    McAleer

have all changed

same actor, different character
    - Phil (assistant to Pascal) turned up a while later as an orderly in the psychiatric ward Pierce was in

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Tonights episode was very poor. MIght be that I dont like the new Floyd.

An ex-nun and an ex-whore - sounds like the beginning of a splendid joke or one of my fantasies - but I agree with you, both of those actresses went right down the line and only the most hardened cynic could suggest otherwise. Nobody's claiming it's masterclass soap television, yet, but you can definitely see some are fighting to drag it up to a new level. By all means dis those motheruckers if they resort back to the lazy slugfest it has too often been, but, respect to those who are stepping up, like the nun and whore and a few others. Respect.

6th wrote: »
    Tonights episode was very poor. MIght be that I dont like the new Floyd.

Yes, my jury's out on the new guy. I liked the old one a lot.

I can see Floyd decking Bob, though. That would bring him up a notch or two. "You stole me Ma!"

What was with Bob's eye yesterday? It seemed to be bloodshot or something.

He went down on Una and her accent hit him in the eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Anyone know what ever happened to the old actor playing Floyd? Did he die or something? I prefer him. :(

• Advertisement

The old Floyd was played by a guy called Simon Keogh.
    New one is played by Jonathon Byrne.

http://www.rte.ie/tv/faircity/floyd.html

gogglebok wrote: »
    It's a bit disturbing when that happens. (Not the crush. That's a bonus.) I remember when Home and Away searched all Australia for the person who looked least like the old Pippa in every way. It was like Invasion of the Very Unconvincing Bodysnatchers.

It would be funny if the other characters kept saying, "There's something odd about Floyd. Has he had some work done?"

I thought the reason Floyd left was the affair with Heather. Did I miss something? I might have been in one of my Corrie periods then.

I pissed myself laughing when I read that. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

I prefered the old Floyd.

Did he actually sleep with Heather last time around? I can't remember.

He is dying! Is it true or is he lying? I'm not sure yet.

I can't stand Bob

Advertisement