Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any suggestions...

Options
  • 07-05-2008 4:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭

.. for a decent pub to watch United win the Premiership in on Sunday?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭tulipandthistle

There's a few United supporters in the pub part of the thai Jasmine restaurant, think it used to be the Riverside hotel or something? Great food while you're watching too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

There's a few United supporters in the pub part of the thai Jasmine restaurant, think it used to be the Riverside hotel or something? Great food while you're watching too!

Good call.... a spot of lunch, a few scoops & some footie. Sounds like a perfect afternoon!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,879 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Yeah - Cheers bar in Ballybofey - the owner is a fanatical Pool fan. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 43,815 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Just for reference, the bar section of Jasmine Thai Restaurant is called The Mill Bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

usally go to mooneys or the embasy rooms to watch liverpool

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭tulipandthistle

basquille wrote: »
    Just for reference, the bar section of Jasmine Thai Restaurant is called The Mill Bar.

Yep, that's the one.... thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Belfrey.
    It's not a done deal yet either! Come on Wigan!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Jabby

I'd suggest (with all due respect) you go to a place with lights suitably dimmed. That way ye reds can cry into your beer in privacy when Wigan whip ye and Chelsea roll over Bolton.
    C'mon Ye Blues for the double.

Jabby wrote: »
    when Wigan whip ye

That must be the least heard phrase of the season. That, and "Derby are gonna hammer ya".

That must be the least heard phrase of the season. That, and "Derby are gonna hammer ya".

You Man U guys very touchy this week.... must be the nerves. What will ye be like on the eve of the Champions league. It would be the funniest thing though you would have to admit, if United lost it on the last day what with some of the bookies paying out on them four weeks ago. I know that I will have a great laugh... Don't suppose there will be a pub in Sligo that will show Chelsea v Bolton. I usually like to watch a good football match on a Sunday. Might have to settle for Wigan.

• Advertisement

You Man U guys very touchy this week.... must be the nerves. What will ye be like on the eve of the Champions league. It would be the funniest thing though you would have to admit, if United lost it on the last day what with some of the bookies paying out on them four weeks ago. I know that I will have a great laugh... Don't suppose there will be a pub in Sligo that will show Chelsea v Bolton. I usually like to watch a good football match on a Sunday. Might have to settle for Wigan.

I hope Wigan won't roll over & let Utd tickle their bellies like West Ham did... you can't beat a bit of excitement... I mean, last day of the season & the league's still not decided - it's class. Been a long time since that happened. I was hoping that some of the pubs would have the 2 games on simultaneously.. that'd make it even better.

Well.. I thoroughly enjoyed watching United retain the trophy.. after eating in the Jasmine on Friday, I didn't really fancy watching it in that pub (the clientel seemed a wee bit too local yokel for my tastes), so I watched it in The Strand.

One thing really bugged me though - there were no tables or seats in front of of the TVs, so I'd to stand at the the bar. Meanwhile, there was a couple sat down at a table with a PRIME view of one of the TVs. But were they watching the match?! Nope - they sat there, reading the Sunday Times supplements and then had lunch. The bloke glanced up occasionally at the screen, but had obviously zero interest in the game... meanwhile the parts of the bar where the TV screens could not be seen were virtually empty - there were about 50 tables they could have sat at & allowed someone else to sit down & enjoy the game.

They were probably embittered Liverpool / Arsenal fans.

(the clientel seemed a wee bit too local yokel for my tastes),

What tastes? Manchester United. Eh up, hardly the most sophisticated club chuck eh? I lived there for years and there were no shortage of 'yokels' in red who gathered around the bars and threw shapes along Matt Busby Way every match day.

There's yokels everywhere... and usually best avoided. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Well.. I thoroughly enjoyed watching United retain the trophy.. after eating in the Jasmine on Friday, I didn't really fancy watching it in that pub (the clientel seemed a wee bit too local yokel for my tastes), so I watched it in The Strand.

Dude, where you live now?

Dude, where you live now?

Strandhill Road. My house was a great venue last night to watch ..... THIS ....

1_248660_1_9.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

Strandhill Road. My house was a great venue last night to watch ..... THIS ....

1_248660_1_9.jpg
    Yes great match. the pitch was a bit rough though.
    It brought all the memories back of 1999, that was an all night celebration. This time it was oh right they are playing, will watch with me da!:)

Yeah - I'd to keep the celebrations fairly low-key this time round... hence watching it at home - didn't stop me hopping like a mad thing around the sitting room though when Van der Sar saved Anelka's peno!!

It WAS a great game though & (cliche though it may be) a game of 2 halves.. both sides played really well - a nice, open game... not much in the way of diving or cheating going on & the obligatory hand bags at 12 paces at the end! At least it was so far into the game that Droghba's sending off meant nothing.

As for the pitch - it seemed fine to me.. the ball was moving fine across the surface, though the wetter it got, the more players seemed to be getting hit by cramp & sliding around the place... Van der Sar slipped a few times & Terry obviously went on his ear taking the peno - but then again, what was he doing taking penos in the 1st place? Despite the fact I was dancing round, pointing my finger laughing at him, I did feel a bit sorry for him.

But there ya go, that's football!

[quote=Despite the fact I was dancing round, pointing my finger laughing at him, I did feel a bit sorry for him.

But there ya go, that's football![/quote]

A penalty shoot-out is 'football' is it? Rubbish. It's a bloody lottery, that's what it is. The better team last night lost- just like the Champions League Final in 1999.

A penalty shoot-out is 'football' is it? Rubbish. It's a bloody lottery, that's what it is. The better team last night lost- just like the Champions League Final in 1999.

Yeah - if a game is a draw after 120 minutes, they should go on playing till either a). someone scores or b). there's only one man left standing.

Edit; saying that "penos is a lottery" and "the better team lost" are 2 of the biggest football punditry cliches going. Penos are not a lottery - a proper lottery would be to put both teams names into the cup & pull out the winning teams' name. And to say the better team lost is absurd.. if they were the better team, they would a). have scored more goals b). conceded less. Such is football.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

I thought United deserved to win.
    They should've been three up before Chelsea got a look in.

MikeySligo wrote: »

It was said last night on a few occasions that it was a "game of 2 halves". Surely though, with extra time, it was a game of 4 halves?! :D

basquille wrote: »

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! I'm SO glad I clicked those links (even though I was certain they'd revert me to the soccer forums!) :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

This just keeps getting better!!

This just keeps getting better!!

Next season we will see how Man Yoo get on when the grease ball leaves for Madrid..... Rooney and Tevez... I'm shaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

MikeySligo wrote: »

never!!! they never deserve to win, they just always do at the last minute!! Can youm tell I support Chelsea? (Feyenoord first though!)

"It's a shame one team had to lose"

If that's the case why don't they just ban team sport?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

"It's a shame one team had to lose"

If that's the case why don't they just ban team sport?

maybe just ban ManU? great idea.:D anyway talk about scale and great footie, sligo tonight!!!:D

Advertisement