Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coolaney

Options
  • 07-05-2008 12:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭

.. I'm moving there in a couple of weeks & am looking for opinions on the place. So far, I've only had the chance to check out the chinese (Happy Rock) - quite nice food, has to be said & I was in the Mountain View restaurant back when it was open. Have yet to investigate the pubs, local areas etc.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

.. I'm moving there in a couple of weeks & am looking for opinions on the place. So far, I've only had the chance to check out the chinese (Happy Rock) - quite nice food, has to be said & I was in the Mountain View restaurant back when it was open. Have yet to investigate the pubs, local areas etc.

Looks like a cool little place. Its the sister town of Collooney, you probably know the folk stuff around it. (Una and Aine)Theres a lovely ox mountain drive out there, nice place for picnics if this weather holds. Theres the remenance of a lovely old railway line. Area twould be grande place for cycling I would think. used to cycle out there as a kid. Pubs I dont reallly know them. I would probably recommend the Owenmore in Collooney. You might be lucky and be within range for delivery from Sligo town. Have you checked out?
    There seems to be quite a few boardsies here that live there by the looks of it, so no doubt you will be inundated with advice. :)
    I hope you like country living. I totally recommend village life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

tuppence wrote: »
    Looks like a cool little place. Its the sister town of Collooney, you probably know the folk stuff around it. (Una and Aine)Theres a lovely ox mountain drive out there, nice place for picnics if this weather holds. Theres the remenance of a lovely old railway line. Area twould be grande place for cycling I would think. used to cycle out there as a kid. Pubs I dont reallly know them. I would probably recommend the Owenmore in Collooney. You might be lucky and be within range for delivery from Sligo town. Have you checked out?
    There seems to be quite a few boardsies here that live there by the looks of it, so no doubt you will be inundated with advice. :)
    I hope you like country living. I totally recommend village life.

Thanks Tuppence! I've been out there quite a few times over the past few weeks doing some renovations to the house & it does seem really nice and very peaceful (until I land in with my subwoofer, that is!)... everyone I pass has said "hello" the next door neighbours have already sent over a welcoming bottle of vino... my house is detached, so hopefully I'll stay in with these ones! There does seem to be a few roads worth exploring on the bike.. I've a really nice vintage Vespa from 1978, so I'll be putting it to better use than I've done recently - last time I spun out to Strandhill, I was nearly blown over to Coney Island!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

It is a lovely place to live. I've spent time out there when I was younger, and they are a very nice group of people. The local pubs are ok and usually have the local feel where everyone knows your name. It's a nice place, and tbh I wish I could be living out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Its a nice place, I live there.
    People are friendly. The Hungry Rock is a great takeaway.
    Not been in the pubs much.
    Theres a real community spirit with a festival in the Summer.
    Good luck with the move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Eh you've pretty much seen everything Star. The railway line is the one to limerick which is in the process of being fixed up afaik. (slowly). There seems to be more and more fights in/outside the pubs at the weekends-what I've been told is that it's being caused by people from sligo coming out to coolaney at the weekend, but I don't know the whole story.

• Advertisement

Eh you've pretty much seen everything Star. The railway line is the one to limerick which is in the process of being fixed up afaik. (slowly). There seems to be more and more fights in/outside the pubs at the weekends-what I've been told is that it's being caused by people from sligo coming out to coolaney at the weekend, but I don't know the whole story.

A nice bit of action so!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Thanks Tuppence! I've been out there quite a few times over the past few weeks doing some renovations to the house & it does seem really nice and very peaceful (until I land in with my subwoofer, that is!)... everyone I pass has said "hello" the next door neighbours have already sent over a welcoming bottle of vino... my house is detached, so hopefully I'll stay in with these ones! There does seem to be a few roads worth exploring on the bike.. I've a really nice vintage Vespa from 1978, so I'll be putting it to better use than I've done recently - last time I spun out to Strandhill, I was nearly blown over to Coney Island!

You'll have to trade in the Vespa for an old Honda 50 with fertilizer bags for fairings and a wooden box attached with baling twine:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

There's more people from Sligo town and other towns in Coolaney now than there are "natives" or culchies, so unfortunately that joke doesn't apply as much now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

I'm sure starbelgrade will put us right here, but coming from Sligo town doesn't make one a non-culchie. It just makes you a culchie with high notions :D

il gatto wrote: »
    I'm sure starbelgrade will put us right here, but coming from Sligo town doesn't make one a non-culchie. It just makes you a culchie with high notions :D

I'm a Dulchie. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

Sound place...Been in the Mountain View for a few bevies over the summers...Great place for a spin on the bike or bringing the car for a run...Great backroads...

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Tickets on sale now!)

The Mountain View's within staggering distance of the new house. Handy!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭magnumlady

The Mountain View's within staggering distance of the new house. Handy!

Thats odd I've lived here years and never heard of the Mountain View......heard of the Mountain Inn though!:D

magnumlady wrote: »
    Thats odd I've lived here years and never heard of the Mountain View......heard of the Mountain Inn though!:D

Well, if ya stand outside it, you can view the mountains. :D

Advertisement