Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fishmonger in Sligo?

Options
  • 01-05-2008 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Is there a good fishmonger or fish shop in Sligo?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,776 ✭✭✭✭Basq

There's a place across the road from the back of Connolly's that absolutely fantastic.

But if you go too early, they won't have any fish out. Too late, it'll all be gone.

Tough to call.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I can't vouch for quality but there's a relatively new(ish) fish monger's on Holburn street that I've been meaning to visit for ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Berlin_100642

Thanks folks. Now could someone tell me where Connolly's is, and Holburn Street?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,776 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Same place Xiney mentioned.. shows that a French Canadian who's been our town for less than a year now knows the town better than me! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Berlin wrote: »
    Thanks folks. Now could someone tell me where Connolly's is, and Holburn Street?

If your looking at the front of the Ulster Bank, its the street to the right of it... John the Fish is just up there on the right... And then pop accross to Connolly's for a great pint of plain...:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭hupyago

some butchers are good fish stockists
    like londis and in ballysadare (sherlocks butchers)where I presume its fairly fresh stuff considering the popularity of fishing in the area

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭tulipandthistle

Berlin wrote: »
    Is there a good fishmonger or fish shop in Sligo?

(Whisper)Isn't there a fishman in a van around Dromahair every Friday?
    basquille wrote: »
    There's a place across the road from the back of Connolly's that absolutely fantastic.

But if you go too early, they won't have any fish out. Too late, it'll all be gone.

Tough to call.

That's why....We were very excited that a fishmonger had arrived in Sligo, went to check it out and he was empty. Have to go back again.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Berlin_100642

Is there? No-one tells me anything around here!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,830 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Hope he doesnt take his football as serious as this guy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Theres a Fishmonger Van at the market Friday mornings.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭tulipandthistle

muffler wrote: »
    Hope he doesnt take his football as serious as this guy

Pffff! Dutch :rolleyes: +1 for butchers ordering fish for you any local butcher should get it in for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

This is pretty helpful,I didn't know theat there was a fishmonger in town except for the one in Tesco which I don't even buy fish from as I'm not a fish eater

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

bobcar61 wrote: »
    This is pretty helpful,I didn't know theat there was a fishmonger in town except for the one in Tesco which I don't even buy fish from as I'm not a fish eater
    The one in Holburn street would be the first one I would think of. Yer man is a great character and he does his own marinades there for you if you wish, tells you how to cook it. (Its practically idiot proof) The market in the I.T on a saturday am early used to do fish. Theres a butchers that has a good selection of fish in the wine street car park as well. Only particular days and dont know which so sorry. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Photo here of the shop, too bad it was closed when I took it:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/magnumlady/1250784255/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

tuppence wrote: »
    Theres a butchers that has a good selection of fish in the wine street car park as well. Only particular days and dont know which so sorry. :rolleyes:

Fridays only.. and again, you'll have to be an early bird for that. The selection's not brilliant either - they have 8-10 varieties which don't vary much from week to week. If yr lucky, they sometimes have monkfish tail in stock. (salivates)

Advertisement