Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Will Wheaton looks back at Trek...

• 29-04-2008 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27,793 ✭✭✭✭

The boy who used to be annoying brat Wesley Crusher has turned into a pretty funny blogger - check out his reviews of some early TNG eps at TVSquad.com:

http://www.tvsquad.com/2008/04/28/star-trek-the-next-generation-code-of-honor/

Some quotes:
    We discover that the Ligonians are also descended directly from a 1940s pulp novel set in deepest, darkest Africa, and that they are amused to discover that the Enterprise's security chief is a woman. Oh good! We're going to be racist and sexist in this one!
    ...when I look back at "Code of Honor" and see that it came between "The Naked Now" and "The Last Outpost," I'm astonished that we weren't canceled by mid-season. In fact, if we hadn't been first-run syndication, and if the core audience of Trekkies hadn't been as patient as the Ligonians – not to mention incredibly forgiving – we almost certainly would have been.

Picard invites Wesley to sit at ops. Next to Geordi. In the middle of a major crisis... My god, a lot of the hate mail I used to get suddenly makes a whole lot of sense. I have never been more grateful that there wasn't liveblogging in 1987 as I am right now.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

"Oh good! We're going to be racist and sexist in this one!"

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dellboy2007

I'm sorry but i really hate star trek, well, when i say i'm sorry i'm not really.

I'm sorry but i really hate star trek, well, when i say i'm sorry i'm not really.
    May I ask why you came to the Star Trek forum then?

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dellboy2007

To get an insight into why people like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,793 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Because it's an optimistic view of our future, because starships look cool and so do nebulas, because it has lots of babes, beacuse it has heroes battling evil and facing challenges, because a starship crew is a team and some people want to be part of a team that values brains not athletic ability, because it's an escapist fantasy that takes you into outer space and away from your mundane job, or homework or day-to-day problems...

"It speaks to some basic human needs, that there is a tomorrow - it's not all going to be over in a big flash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans. No, ancient astronauts did not build the pyramids - human beings built them because they're clever and they work hard. And 'Star Trek' is about those things."
    - Gene Roddenberry

"For me science fiction is a way of thinking, a way of logic that bypasses a lot of nonsense. It allows people to look directly at important subjects."
    - Gene Roddenberry

"In the annals of science fiction, where dystopias rule the imaginative roost, Star Trek stood nearly alone in telling us that our future would be better than our past, that our common problems would be solved, that we, as a species, were fundamentally good, and that the universe would reward us for our goodness."
    - Charles Shaar Murray and Mike Marqusee in "Prospect Magazine"

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

To get an insight into why people like it.
    Ya, i'm sure that's it.

Advertisement