Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spanish Language films and music

Options
  • 24-04-2008 10:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭

Hi,

Im hoping to start learning Spanish this summer and in order to help get used to the accents ,pronunciation, flow etc I would like to start watching Spanish or South American films or listening to their music

So I was just wondering would anyone on here have some good recommandations

any genres really as long as there good:p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭elmolesto

All the Pedro Almodovar movies are brilliant.

As for the music, I recommend Manu Chao and la Mano Negra

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭dundealgan

Mar Adentro (the sea inside) is an excellent movie with Javier Bardem. It's about a guy who wants to legalise euthanasia, sounds depressing but it won Best Movie at the Oscars for a reason :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭izzyflusky

Films I think are worth watching:
    El bola
    El diario de Carol (or maybe El viaje de Carol, I always get confused)
    No te fallaré (well this one is not great, but I liked it cuz it was a film about a spanish program lol)
    Hable con ella
    El internado (that was a horror, I used to be friends with the guy in it)
    Cant remember anymore.
    Music...it depends on your taste. I used to like:
    El canto del loco
    La oreja de van gogh
    Estopa
    Fito y los fitipaldis
    Mago de Oz
    Alejandro Sanz
    Platero y Tu
    Bebe.............If u tell me what kinda music u like I can recommend u more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Black hole sun

Thanks im listening to some mexican bands like molotov and Tijuana No! will look into this stuff.

Maná is mexican band that is very famous too. It's a bit different to molotov etc but its pretty good too

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Tony Danza

Watch Spanish TV online,

http://www.radiotelevisionandalucia.es/

In www.tvgratis.tv you can watch channels from other countries, including Spain. Just bear in mind that more "famous" channels from Spain might not be listed or don't work and most of the ones listed are either regional channels or I havent heard of them before so the programmes might not be great. Still spanish though.

Also in www.rtve.es they now allow you to watch some of their programes online.

In sky you can watch tve international. As all the international channels I've seen so far, the programmes they put on air are not great but is still worth watching. On weekends at around 3 they have this series my whole family watches (except me :D) based on spain after the war, its meant to be really good also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 953 ✭✭✭superconor

The films
    La Lengua De Las Mariposas
    and
    Amores Perros
    Are fantastic films. For music,
    Soziedad Alkoholika are good punk/metal.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭another world

Films:

Y tu Mama Tambien

Music:

Los Fabulosos Cadillacs
    La Vela Puerca
    Jarabe de Palo
    Habana Abierta
    Fonseca

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Zatman

Pan's Labyrinth is pretty good just get the one without the subtitles.
    I picked up a lot of the language and pronunciation through Music so that could be helpful.
    Also be careful the yhave different dialects between Spanish and South American Spanish so try not confuse them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 EmmaDow

Yep Pan's Labyrinth is def a good one, and The Orphanage, and y tu mama tambien?
    Mar adentro is brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jameschristophe

When deciding on a foreign language, ask yourself which one you're most interested in learning, NOT which is most useful. If you're not interested in learning it, it's unlikely you'll ever reach a reasonable competence in the language. Since you're really interested in Spanish, you can definitely become competent, despite the fact that it's know to be a lot more difficult for a native English speaker than Spanish is.

It's true that you'll have to learn a completely new writing system with an incredible abundance of complex characters-but perseverance brings reward!

So just forget about what you're dad says and have fun learning and using Spanish!!!
    And who knows...you may end up living in Japan one day! =)

Take a look at:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/languages/spanish/
    http://spanish.about.com/
    http://in.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=4C4C36BA529A86ED&playnext=1&v=YA8DybfLsOQ
    http://learnspanishreview.net/SpanishArticles/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭Síle28

I agree with Emma, Y tu mama tambien, The Orphanage and Pan's Labryinth are all very good. Also Almodovar as above, Volver is the most recent I think? (With Penelope Cruz). Amores perros, good but a bit gorey in parts...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Messy Missy

Some of my favorites:

Nueve Reinas
    El Hijo de la Novia
    El Abrazo Partido
    Isi/Disi (I'm a native speaker and I swear there were times during the movie that I had no clue what these lads were saying! :pac:)
    El Dia de la Bestia
    Esperando La Carroza (it's old but it cracks me up every time I watch it)
    Plata Quemada
    Caballos Salvajes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭djcervi

Hi, usually there is a Spanish film festival in the IFI around easter time. Put that in your diary ;)

If you live in Dublin, of course

Advertisement