Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Princess Bride

• 23-04-2008 1:11pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I watched this movie last nite out again as i hadnt watched it in years and it made me smile. it really is a masterpiece :)

they sure dont make family movies like that anymore!

Its definitely one family movie that is full of memorable quotes.

Do you have any classic family movies that fill your heart with joy? (Barf bucket on the way!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭macrubicon

Sitting right alongside The Princess Bride on my shelf is The Goonies - another one in the feel good family stable!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

It doesn't get much better than Wesley and Andre the giant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Definitely an absolute classic. I don't think I really liked it that much as a kid, but as I got older, really grew to love it, and watched it a load of times on DVD. The cup scene always does it for me, but there's just so many amazing, standout moment in the film, it's always a joy.

The only aspect of the film that fell short was Billy Crystal, but apart from him, nigh on perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

I only saw the film for the first time ever about a year or so ago, and i have to say i love it.

There arent many films that i can watch completely innocently anymore, someone mentioned the Goonies which is a good shout but for me the ultimate movie for just regressing back to being a kid is Spirited Away...it always makes me feel better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Last year I was working in a studio with around 30 other people and was chatting to one of the other animators about films and mentioned the princess bride and he said he'd never seen it - about 10 heads popped up around the place and people came running over going "WHAT?? how can you have never seen it? I have it at home you must watch it" The next day there were around 10 copies of the film on dvd sitting on his desk :p

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,922 ✭✭✭fitz

Superb movie.
    Superb drinking game!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,452 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Always liked:
    http://ultimatesuffering.ytmnd.com/

Also liked the fact that Chris Guest (spinal tap) is in it as the count :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Ah, great old film that. It was given away with one of the Saturday papers sometime last year. I remember some people asking "What's that?", when I mentioned it.

Other classic "family" type films I have from the 80's would be Flight of the Navigator, The Dark Crystal, The Goonies (of course) and War Games. All the crap Disney spouts out now, can't come close to any of these.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

It is a great film and no cgi anywhere! Also, I believe some of the film was shot down in Co. Clare. Does anyone know what parts were shot down there and did Andre the Giant make it to Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

<3 The Princess Bride - I'm reading the book for the third time at the moment. The first time I read it I was dying to get my hands on the "unabridged version" :o It's the only story where I honestly can't say which is better, the film or the book. I think my sister and I watched it so much as children that we wore out the video tape. Likewise, The Last Unicorn was one we watched over and over when we were little. I picked it up for a fiver a few months ago and got all nostalgic over it (though I'm not convinced that the soundtrack lives up to my memory of it)...

Edit: Oh lord, someone's making a computer game based on TPB :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

It is a great film and no cgi anywhere! Also, I believe some of the film was shot down in Co. Clare. Does anyone know what parts were shot down there and did Andre the Giant make it to Ireland?
    The Cliifs of Insanity are really the Cliffs of Moher.

Great film. Some classic characters in there, and ingenious lines. "no more rhyming, I mean it!... Anybody want a peanut?"
    "I want my father back you son of a b*tch" is right up there with my favourite movie lines. It is totally out of step with the rest of the film, and all the better for it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

A geniune modern classic, without question. And of course, also ticks the "cult" checkbox by being a complete flop during its theatrical run. William Goldman writes an absolutely pearl of a script (not to mention a diamond of a novel to begin with) with perfect characters, hilarious lines & a geniune sense of scale and threat without resorting to "epic" helicopter shots. Love it love it love it. I used to go by the avatar "Montoya" after our favorite Spaniard, until I got fed up being asked "Hey, you really like Formula 1 eh?"

I presume you guys have read the book? :)

So many great quotes :D
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093779/quotes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

I only watched this again last weekend
    have converted herself so much into this genre, that it was she who suggested it.

Love that movieso bloody much, by far the most watched in the collection

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

fitz wrote: »
    Superb movie.
    Superb drinking game!

Rules please!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,963 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I had this on VHS back in the day. I really must get it on DVD some day soon.

Take a drink whenever:

A sexual connotation can be taken from the dialogue.(Oh so many. The filthier you are in the head the better the game is.)
    Fezzik makes a rhyme.
    Inigo says "Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya, you killed my father. Prepare to die."
    Any time Vizzini says "Inconcievable."

By the 30 minute mark, you're lamped.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

its a classic love this film.great scenes and some cracking dialogue .its as enjoyable now as it was when i first saw it as a kid.the cliffs of insanity are indeed the cliffs of mohar.Hello,My name is Inigo Montoya,You killed my father prepare to die.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Mrs. D'arcy

My absolute favourite film..nothing comes close for me!It has everything,humour,romance,excitement...The only thing I'd change is the cutting back and forth to the grandfather and grandson.Think I might just have to go and watch it tonight :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Take a drink whenever:

A sexual connotation can be taken from the dialogue.(Oh so many. The filthier you are in the head the better the game is.)
    Fezzik makes a rhyme.
    Inigo says "Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya, you killed my father. Prepare to die."
    Any time Vizzini says "Inconcievable."

By the 30 minute mark, you're lamped.

Sorry dude, you've lost me on that one! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭wezzopalooza

On the subject of childhood faves, "Little Monsters" was right up there for me...It starred that kid from The Wonder Years who gets up to all kinds of malicious shenanigans with a monster who comes from under his bed, which acts as a doorway into the "monster world" where all kinds of crazy creatures reside..Got it on dvd on ebay a while back, couldn't believe how many double entendre jokes are in there that completely went over my head as a kid lol:D....anyone else remember this one??????? Marv from Home Alone was also in it but its kinda hard to find over here and its never shown on tv..

• Advertisement

Yeah, I remember that, had "Road to Nowhere" on the soundtrack.

Faceman, watch it looking for sexual innuendo and pun. It's full of it.
    "Nothing gave Buttercup as much pleasure as ordering Westley around."
    "The only pleasure she took was in her daily ride."
    "Here me now, I will always come for you."
    "Look, are you just fiddling around with me or what?"
    etc, etc...

Oh, left one out...you also take a drink whenever Westley says "As you wish."
    Though this can be seen as a sub-rule of the sexual innuendo rule I suppose.... :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Yeah, I remember that, had "Road to Nowhere" on the soundtrack.

Faceman, watch it looking for sexual innuendo and pun. It's full of it.
    "The only pleasure she took was in her daily ride."
    "Here me now, I will always come for you."
    etc, etc...

Oh, left one out...you also take a drink whenever Westley says "As you wish."
    Though this can be seen as a sub-rule of the sexual innuendo rule I suppose.... :P

That would be a dangerous game I read in ur endo in damn near everything.

Me too Thaed.
    Last time I played it I ended up on all fours cause I couldn't stand up.
    Beruthiel was there, laughing her ass off.
    Get a couple of people together and try it. It's possibly the best drinking game ever invented.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Me too Thaed.
    Get a couple of people together and try it. It's possibly the best drinking game ever invented.
    Sounds like fun :)

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭cobweb

fantastic movie and great book must try drinking game next time i watch it

also love these Flight of the Navigator, The Dark Crystal

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Me too Thaed.

*Penny drops*

Surely im not getting innocent as i get older!!! :eek: :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,953 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

InigoMontoyaPrepareToDie.jpg

Good one Grover! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

InigoMontoyaPrepareToDie.jpg

next time i have to go to a stupid company gig i am so doing this :D

BRILLIANT film. right down to the mark knophler sound track. it literally is the most quoteable film in decades and a proof that kids movies dont have to be dumb to be fun. personally i think it was WAY head of its time in terms of alternative comedy.

i dont think the cinematography has aged particularly well but the script is top notch and its the best thing the actors in it ever did (though carey ellews (spl) did a great tv movie called "the pentagon wars" which was funny as fcuk :) )

for me the best bit was when indigo killed the six fingered man, still brings a tear to me eye just thinking of it !

im pretty sure ive got this on DVD somewhere so must root it out (still have the VHS :) )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Einstein

great movie!! Never Ending Story (the original) was pretty cool too.

Always wanted a flying dragon!

But why did the horse have to die WHY!

Advertisement