Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Guide - the Budget Gaming PC

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭DermotOH

Im a bit confused with Hardwarevesand's delivery process, Do they use DHL or UPS and How do you know when to expect the item? The only information I found on the site was they tell you when its been shipped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

DermotOH wrote: »
    Im a bit confused with Hardwarevesand's delivery process, Do they use DHL or UPS and How do you know when to expect the item? The only information I found on the site was they tell you when its been shipped.

They use DHL and once it has reached Ireland it will be delivered by anpost :)

They provide a tracking code which also works on the anpost tracking site once it has reached Ireland

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Trevor451 wrote: »
    They use DHL and once it has reached Ireland it will be delivered by anpost :)

They provide a tracking code which also works on the anpost tracking site once it has reached Ireland

Amazing what wonders technology can achieve nowadays.

/Gives dirty look to Ebuyer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭giggsy664

It's €30 shipping via DHL, then it's via An Post when it's in Ireland. You can use the shipping code on dhl.de, and I don't know if it works at anpost.ie. Once it's here, if you're out when it's delivered, the return it to the sorting centre for 16 working days. It took me 4 days in Germany, and 2 in Ireland. Just try to order when all parts are in stock. You have to do a bank transfer/InterPay, but that's easy enough, HWVS give you all the details, all you need is their warehouse address.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 kaya08

Thanks for the help Monotype.
    I have no idea how much is enough for a case - my choices are largely based on guesswork
    Is there any particular advantage to a tower case over a desktop case beyond preference?
    Was thinking
    http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=25146&agid=633
    Simply because it would be easier to store it.
    Obviously if a tower and / or alternative case would be more practical for whatever reason then I'd go for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

There's not much info on the case that I can find. The superflower website only has the SF-103S which seems to be a slim version.
    You'd need to make sure that there's enough room for your storage drives and that the DVD drive is not a slim version. Also, make sure that there's enough space for your chosen heatsink and especially your graphics card.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

kaya08 wrote: »
    Thanks for the help Monotype.
    I have no idea how much is enough for a case - my choices are largely based on guesswork
    Is there any particular advantage to a tower case over a desktop case beyond preference?
    Was thinking
    http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=25146&agid=633
    Simply because it would be easier to store it.
    Obviously if a tower and / or alternative case would be more practical for whatever reason then I'd go for that.

A tall cooler like the Scythe Mugen cooler (16cm) would certainly not fit into that Desktop case as it is only 14cm deep (46 cm (W) x 37 cm (L) x 14 cm (H)). The HD 6950 is also a long card as well, at 26-27 cm. As the case is only 37 cm long it may very well not fit in the case properly depending on the layout of the hard drive bays etc.

Even if it did fit it would essentialy divide the case into two compartment which would seriously impact on airflow, which I suspect would be probably be poor enough in that case to begin with.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭SmokeyTheBull

Just like to thank everyone here for their help, I hate ignoring some of it but due to budget constraints I've no choice. This is what I've decided on and of course I'd still appreciate any comments or advice, especially if there's a glaring problem, I assume that network card will allow me to connect to wfi right? cheers 147285.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 kaya08

Ok, thanks again for advice.
    How about
    http://www3.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=18980&agid=631
    checked a few reviews and it seems solid enough, will fit the cooling fan you recommended and the psu. Seems about the same size as other cases in this price range. Should be ok, unless I'm missing something?

also previous graphics card has gone out of stock
    http://www3.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=41503&agid=1165
    seems more or less the same, though slightly bigger at 29cm.
    Any other recommendations you can make?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Looking for a gaming build for maximum 1000 euro (including delivery and cost of putting it together). Need a wifi card, decent soundcard (well one thats 5.1 compatible). Pc will be used for gaming and general web/video. Keyboard, Mouse, monitor, operating system, speakers etc, not necessary. Any help much appreciated!

p.s apologies for cluttering the board but my individual thread hasnt really gotten many replies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 FLW

Just like to thank everyone here for their help, I hate ignoring some of it but due to budget constraints I've no choice. This is what I've decided on and of course I'd still appreciate any comments or advice, especially if there's a glaring problem, I assume that network card will allow me to connect to wfi right? cheers 147285.JPG

I am building a very similar machine for my first build. Wanted to know does the heat sink come with the Athlon II or do you need to get one. Also is there any need to get specialized fan for this particular cpu.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Most will come with a heatsink, especially if they say "boxed". Exceptions are a few of the older black edition processors or if they say tray or OEM.
    It won't be superb in keeping quiet but it will get the job done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 FLW

Monotype wrote: »
    Most will come with a heatsink, especially if they say "boxed". Exceptions are a few of the older black edition processors or if they say tray or OEM.
    It won't be superb in keeping quiet but it will get the job done.

Thanks for that Monotype. Yeah I thought they might give you one, just something to get it done. Nothing Special.

Also is there much of a difference between the thermal paste or is it all fairly standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Mmmm_Lemony

Hey,

A friend of mine from college has posted on here before and is very happy with the rig you pointed him towards. I don't want an 'off the shelf' either for obvious reasons, which is why I'm here. I'm 1 semester into a 4yr degree pt in computing, so looking for something that will last the next 4 years, with enough room to upgrade here and there as needs be.

Apart from a keyboard and mouse, I am starting with nothing, although I may be able to source a Windows operating system, maybe Windows 7 home or similar, will know in a week or so. I plan on booting with a windows based OS and Ubuntu, and if possible something else.

I will mostly be using it for graphics and animation so lots of rendering, and some basic sound mixing (very basic) and of course software development. I would like a dual screen setup so 2 lcd or led monitors. I would like wifi-fi, bluetooth, a HDMI slot and all the usual stuff etc... but it wouldn't be the end of the world if I can't. I don't need a huge HD either as I have a couple of external drives that do the trick for storage. I mostly use headphones too so don't need speakers or junk. I have a laptop and a netbook for general office type apps so don't need anything like that. This will just be used for graphics and development.

So...

Hardware: Dual screen, Network
    Software: Graphics/Video, Programming/Software Development

Budget: 700 - 750

I know its a small budget especially if it is to include 2 monitors, but I'm hoping you guys can help.

Hey,

A friend of mine from college has posted on here before and is very happy with the rig you pointed him towards. I don't want an 'off the shelf' either for obvious reasons, which is why I'm here. I'm 1 semester into a 4yr degree pt in computing, so looking for something that will last the next 4 years, with enough room to upgrade here and there as needs be.

Apart from a keyboard and mouse, I am starting with nothing, although I may be able to source a Windows operating system, maybe Windows 7 home or similar, will know in a week or so. I plan on booting with a windows based OS and Ubuntu, and if possible something else.

I will mostly be using it for graphics and animation so lots of rendering, and some basic sound mixing (very basic) and of course software development. I would like a dual screen setup so 2 lcd or led monitors. I would like wifi-fi, bluetooth, a HDMI slot and all the usual stuff etc... but it wouldn't be the end of the world if I can't. I don't need a huge HD either as I have a couple of external drives that do the trick for storage. I mostly use headphones too so don't need speakers or junk. I have a laptop and a netbook for general office type apps so don't need anything like that. This will just be used for graphics and development.

So...

Hardware: Dual screen, Network
    Software: Graphics/Video, Programming/Software Development

Budget: 700 - 750

I know its a small budget especially if it is to include 2 monitors, but I'm hoping you guys can help.

1.16 over budget after delivery, hope thats ok ;)

This is about the most balanced build I can think of for 750.
    147821.jpg

Very nice build. It's amazing how you can get a two monitor setup for so cheap these days. Or well really how cheap monitors are, but it's a very good system overall.

Don't forget wireless and bluetooth. Homeplugs are recommended above wireless but you'd be talking about €50.
    http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=39705
    http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=28575

marco_polo wrote: »
    AMD Phenom II X4 955 Box, Sockel AM3

What would be an 'Intel equivalent' for this chip? I realise the Motherboard would have to change also. The reason I ask is it might be possible for me to get my hands on a Core-i5, through a friend of mine, but if it falls through I might just go with the AMD.

What would be an 'Intel equivalent' for this chip? I realise the Motherboard would have to change also. The reason I ask is it might be possible for me to get my hands on a Core-i5, through a friend of mine, but if it falls through I might just go with the AMD.

By and large with both at stock speeds is a bit behind the i5-750 in terms of performance (although not an absolutely massive gap for most tasks), but factor in overclockability and the i5 sails off into the distance in a big way. The absolute closest Intel equivelant would probably be high end Core 2 Quads like the Q9550/Q9650.

If you can get your hands on an i5 at a decent price then I would snap his hand off (Just at the moment the price for an i5-760 works out at about 170-180 which is a signifigant gap over 115, it had been as low as 150 ish at one point and at that price point the choice was a no brainer).

By and large with both at stock speeds is a bit behind the i5-750 in terms of performance (although not an absolutely massive gap for most tasks), but factor in overclockability and the i5 sails off into the distance in a big way. The absolute closest Intel equivelant would probably be high end Core 2 Quads like the Q9550/Q9650.

If you can get your hands on an i5 then I would snap his hand off.

Thanks a lot for your help dude. Really appreciate it.

So if I could get the i5, it would be an i5-570. What motherboard would you recommend to go with it? And is there anything else you would change in the setup above?

Thanks a lot for your help dude. Really appreciate it.

So if I could get the i5, it would be an i5-570. What motherboard would you recommend to go with it? And is there anything else you would change in the setup above?

Wouldn't really change anything else, seems to be a shortage of P55 motherboards around the 90-100 mark on HWVS, probably because of Intels current sandybridge woes. Of the ones in stock I would maybe go with something like this http://www3.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=27948&agid=1305

If you can I would get a cooler as well, not essential if the budget won't allow as the stock cooler will be fine, but a third party cooler would be much quieter and will allow for a little overclocking if you fancy it. The Sycthe Mugen is always a good reasonably priced option.

http://www3.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=25731&agid=669

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭lezflano

hey im looking for a cheap but reliable gaming pc that runs fast for games like Starcraft 2 world of warcraft ect. and if its able to be assembled before its shipped thanks :D

Wouldn't really change anything else, seems to be a shortage of P55 motherboards around the 90-100 mark on HWVS, probably because of Intels current sandybridge woes. Of the ones in stock I would maybe go with something like this http://www3.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=27948&agid=1305

If you can I would get a cooler as well, not essential if the budget won't allow as the stock cooler will be fine, but a third party cooler would be much quieter and will allow for a little overclocking if you fancy it. The Sycthe Mugen is always a good reasonably priced option.

http://www3.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=25731&agid=669

Will be picking the i5 up today. Will let you know how I get on.

Do you need monitor/speakers/keyboard/mouse/windows? If you don't need a monitor, what resolution are we talking about? Any budget maximum?

Hardwareversand.de will build the PC for €20, but to use them, you need to do a bank transfer or pay through with credit card through paypal (for an extra 3%).

World of warcraft is old now and most laptops would run it easily. Starcraft 2 appears to be able to run at maximum settings at a resolution of 1920x1080 with a 5770.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭lezflano

ye ive used me laptop for years its realy old i need everthing speakers windows case everything.:cool:

Ok, just to double check before I go through with the purchase, is there anything I am missing from this setup, such as cables/mounts/screws etc...? I'd love to get a fancier case too if its possible with the extra savings, maybe an extra 20 for a case?

Ok, just to double check before I go through with the purchase, is there anything I am missing from this setup, such as cables/mounts/screws etc...? I'd love to get a fancier case too if its possible with the extra savings, maybe an extra 20 for a case?

You should be all set for everything. I would have a look around the site yourself, pick out a few cases you like the look of and read a some reviews to make sure they don't have any glaring faults (Most cases in that prices will have a few positives and negatives). You would be unlikely to go too far wrong with cases in that price range from Coolermaster, Antec, NZXT, Thermaltake, Xigmatek to name a few decent brands.

Here are a few I worth considering in the 50-70 price bracket to get you started :).

http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=31307&agid=631

http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=38379&agid=631

http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=37836&agid=631

http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=27225&agid=631

attachment.php?attachmentid=148347&stc=1&d=1297878759

650W power supply isn't necessary but the system builder on the site won't accept anything less with that graphics card (out of stock item has come into stock since I captured this).

Delivery = €30.

I haven't included a keyboard because they would have German layout. You could order one separately from komplett for free delivery.

Components can be cut/enhanced if the budget is lower/higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭dango

i5s, AMD X6s and prices of €700-1000 don't belong in a budget gaming pc thread!

I just needed to get that off my chest.

You can always click on the report button and I'm sure Solitaire will be happy to move them. Well maybe not happy, but he'll move them if he agrees.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

I missed the last one, it was a bit OTT for sure, moved now. The one before isn't so bad, it may be €840 but it really comes to under €600 if you exclude the monitor, OS and peripherals! :):p

Advertisement