Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eagles Flying

Options
  • 29-03-2008 10:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭

We went to Eagles Flying and we would highly recommend it to everyone! Everyone is very friendly and you can touch some of the animals in the "petting area"- the wee man loved it.
    They were on hand if you wanted to ask questions and they gave loads of information.
    The flying demonstration was spectacular. The wee man even got to touch the back of an owl - his favourite animal (under supervision of course).

Afterwards we were talking to the owner and he was saying that they don't get funding from anywhere and they just survive on the entrance fee. All the animals there are rescued and I think they do an amazing job!

All in all we had a great time there, we'll go back again with all our visitors.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

God you would have thought there would be some grant out there to assist them. Wonder have they researched it. Great tourist initiative too.
    Sure thats something the schools could be getting involved in for day trips or whatever. (perhaps primary) Could give them a little boost especially off season. So important to have an insight and respect at an early age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭tulipandthistle

tuppence wrote: »
    God you would have thought there would be some grant out there to assist them. Wonder have they researched it. Great tourist initiative too.
    Sure thats something the schools could be getting involved in for day trips or whatever. (perhaps primary) Could give them a little boost especially off season. So important to have an insight and respect at an early age.

The owner didn't know if he was able to get grants, where do you find that information out.
    To get so close to these animals is out of this world! The animals all look so well cared for, there's even a pig there who was rescued from a pub! It would be such a shame if they couldn't carry on their work that they are all so passionate about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Gulliver

It's really good. Did the owl fly right over your heads (really close) in the demonstration? People were freaking out when it did that!!

The tourist board use an image of the owner's son and a bald eagle (or fish eagle or some such thing) on their billboards on the roads around Sligo, Boyle and Carrick-on-Shannon. Hope they paid them!

Gulliver wrote: »
    It's really good. Did the owl fly right over your heads (really close) in the demonstration? People were freaking out when it did that!!

Most of them flew over our heads - it was AMAZING! Our son was totally mesmerised (he's 2 and a half). One flew right passed my Dad's camcorder and the guy stood with the "prey" right in front of our son, who loved the whole experience, especially when it covered him in it's wings. We were so prooud of our son for staying calm the whole time.
    I agree tuppence, kids should be taught how to behave towards animals from an early age.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

The owner didn't know if he was able to get grants, where do you find that information out.
    To get so close to these animals is out of this world! The animals all look so well cared for, there's even a pig there who was rescued from a pub! It would be such a shame if they couldn't carry on their work that they are all so passionate about.
    Yes no doubt that would almost be full time position in itself to keep it afloat. There first bet might be to seek advice with the Heritage section of Sligo Co Co. They have a heritage officer there. Sligo Enterprise board as well. They's have training for new businesses anyway i reckon. If they are operating as a non for profit/charity theres a mix match out there. They would need to be very innovative and perservere. Perhaps they could talk to Sligo Leader also?
    The kind of thing out there is
    http://www.citizensinformationboard.ie/news/news20080306.html
    Just a brainstorm from my opinion, may be awol. :confused::)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

there's even a pig there who was rescued from a pub!

Poor pig - I'm sure he was perfectly happy where he was. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭bettlebrox

it looks pretty cool indeed. here's the web-site if anyone's interested:
    http://www.eaglesflying.com/index.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭magnumlady

It is a fantastic place, I can't praise it enough...there are a few photos I took here:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/magnumlady/sets/72157602234333654/

What the hell is that red haired yoke?

Its a vulture.

• Advertisement

magnumlady wrote: »
    Its a vulture.

No - the thing that looks like a cross between a rat & a cat.

No - the thing that looks like a cross between a rat & a cat.

would it be the ferret? .... the yellow thing with red eyes? It took quite a liking to us.

would it be the ferret? .... the yellow thing with red eyes? It took quite a liking to us.

Aha - a ferret! Weird lookin' yokes. I can't believe people stick them ** **** *****!!

Aaw the ferret was cute. I have to go back again soon to see the pig:D

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭ems_12

Really glad ppl are promoting this place - Lothar and Alex (the owner + son) work really hard with the birds (and other animals!), but are so friendly and take time to talk to anyone who is interested. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,201 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

I'm up in Sligo quite a bit and have been meaning to go to Eagles Flying since I first found out about it less than a year ago.

All I can say is that this place is an absolute must-do! You have got to go here, it is one of the best touristy things that I've ever done in this country.

Firstly there's a kind of petting zoo where you can get up close to Geese, sheep, donkeys, Goats and their kids, rabbits, ferrets, Pig etc... It doesn't sound too exciting but when you bring kids they love it! All animals look perfectly happy to have people around them and are extremely friendly and can all be petted.

The actual show is superb, about 7 birds of prey (Hawks, Buzzards, Vultures and Eagles) are taken out and fly right passed your head - on occassion their wings actually brush against you! A brief talk is given on each bird as they fly a couple of feet in front of you. Before and after the flying the birds are just sitting about and enjoying the sunshine and you can observe them from quite close.

We spent a couple of hours in the grounds just wandering around and speaking with the nice lady, and other staff members, who presented the show. I honestly could not recommend this place more - it was fantastic. I will definitely be back.

I believe that they are also trying to open a reptile section within their grounds as well!

I was there again yesterday, love the place.
    More photos on flickr and I got to hold a hawk, got chased by geese and had a great time!:D

We're going back again soon as well. There isn't a day going by without our wee man telling us about the owl that flew over his head and about the lamb that said "BAAA" very loud (many, many times a day....) It's really left an impression! Can't wait to go back!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,870 ✭✭✭✭muffler

magnumlady wrote: »
    got chased by geese
    Was it something like this one

muffler wrote: »
    Was it something like this one
    Thats scary!!
    Heres my one:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mV8oKMeWGiY

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Mrs.T

We went again today! Even the second visit was amazing!! I still went aaawwww and oooooo during the flying show. That guy who does the talk is so funny too. Everyone who works there are so friendly and approachable.

I recommend this to everybody!!!!:D

Advertisement