Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello All, This is just a friendly reminder to read the Forum Charter where you wish to post before posting in it. :)

Tube 'vs' Flat Plate

2»

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 12 steve82


    Gurgle wrote: »
    Climbing up on the roof of a 2-story house with a ladder is something I would not recommend to your average Joe Soap. It certainly shouldn't be necessary every few months to maintain your solar installation.
    True Gurgle...2 story roof climbing ain't recommended for anyone. Should only be someone who is confidant with roof walking. Bungalow risks are lower, but precautions should be still taken.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭ Mothman


    steve82 wrote: »
    FP requires hoist, scaffold or cherry picker.

    Not true :confused:

    I installed my flat plate panels myself. Non of the above used. The 2m x 1m panels do need 2 people to carry them.

    My brother installed flat plate panels. Non of the above used.

    Granted in both cases, neither installation was on 2 story building


  • Registered Users Posts: 12 steve82


    Mothman wrote: »
    Not true :confused:

    I installed my flat plate panels myself. Non of the above used. The 2m x 1m panels do need 2 people to carry them.

    My brother installed flat plate panels. Non of the above used.

    Granted in both cases, neither installation was on 2 story building

    True, you physically can install them without scaffold, hoists or cherry picker. I personally would not. If there is a moderate gust of wind, you may find yourself in trouble with a flat plate. If its a 2 story, you cannot use ladders with FP. Its not written into the building regs just yet. SEI's (grant body) training course, does not allow you to install flat plate with ladders. Tubes are OK, as you always have 3 points of contact with the ladder.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭ Mothman


    steve82 wrote: »
    True, you physically can install them without scaffold, hoists or cherry picker. I personally would not. If there is a moderate gust of wind, you may find yourself in trouble with a flat plate. If its a 2 story, you cannot use ladders with FP. Its not written into the building regs just yet. SEI's (grant body) training course, does not allow you to install flat plate with ladders. Tubes are OK, as you always have 3 points of contact with the ladder.

    What equipment is needed (or not) for installation is generally a mute point as few people self install, and installation quotes should included all ancillary costs.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭ Pataman


    Are there any good sites out there that cover how to install these? Is it covered in the instructions? I am quite happy to do the necessary plumbing, have some experience. I presume its not too difficult. They are tubes and needless to say they havent arrived yet.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,526 ✭✭✭✭ AckwelFoley


    Pataman wrote: »
    Are there any good sites out there that cover how to install these? Is it covered in the instructions? I am quite happy to do the necessary plumbing, have some experience. I presume its not too difficult. They are tubes and needless to say they havent arrived yet.

    Its not the installation thats the difficult bit, its the comissioning that needs to be done correctly.

    Il have a look around for you and post something if i find it, the difficulty is some can be product specific.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭ Pataman


    Thanks


Advertisement