Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hypnosis and Stammering

Options
2

Comments

  • Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Paul Dee


    Mitt055 wrote: »
    I certainly think you could be way more clear on what you are suggesting.

    You said in an earlier post that a person can expect to be cured after six to eight sessions with you. Is this the basis of your money back guarantee?

    You have strayed from that particular comment in your last post by referring to "a result" to be agreed at a prior consultation.

    Also, you provide a fall back to your guarantee by alleging that some people do not want to be cured.

    I again would reiterate that hypnosis will not cure a person's stammer. It can help a person to learn relaxation techniques, to overcome irrational fears and to look at past issues, all of which can be useful but a cure it certainly is not.
    Would you rather continue moaning or would you rather face your fear and be proactive?


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Paul Dee


    Confab wrote: »
    Or you could go to a practicing NLP Master Practitioner or Trainer and have it sorted in one 2 hour session. That's my experience, and I'm qualified in both (with the certificates to prove it) but practice in neither. ?? Why Give Up??

    The difference? Hypnotherapists are trained to believe that something bad happened in your childhood that made you stammer. Hello? NLP practitioners just sort the problem out. Hello? Hypnotherapists will cry 'oh, he hasn't sorted the problem, it's just dormant now'. Cobblers. You've got a lot of reading to do!

    I went through hypnotherapy as part of my training. The therapist tried to get me to believe I'd suffered child abuse. Bad choice of Hypnotherapist!

    'Sure missus,' I thought, 'Whatever you say.'

    Hilarious stuff. I know people who've been abused as kids. Every single one of them remembered it. And here was this idiot trying to tell me I'd forgotten something that never happened. I had to fake the rest of the session to keep myself from laughing in her face.

    Incidentally, the reason I started training in hypnotherapy was because of my interest and because I wanted to get rid of a few irritating feelings. 8 sessions of hypnotherapy did nothing. Not one thing. 1 session of NLP sorted the whole thing. I woke up the next morning feeling better then I'd ever done before. Still feel the same way now. Just wondering what you're faking now.

    Hypnotherapy is very useful for a few things such as minor phobias and stop smoking stuff and can probably help a bit with stammering. But they're not logical about the whole thing. You get an A + for that statement!!

    How many hypnotherapists know that people who stammer can sing the words with no problems? Try it. Doesn't that suggest something to you?
    Old school. Get cured.
    .


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Paul Dee


    Great posts Airbulb

    Dave Elman was indeed THE master.

    I was trained as a hypnotist by his protegee Jerry Kein. He's also an amazing hypnotist and has spent his life spreading the word of his mentor Dave Elman. Check out his website - www.omnihypnosis.com - lots of great articles on hypnosis.

    Paul
    So let's hear what you think Dave would say to a stammerer?


  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Mitt055


    Can anyone find Paul Dee's evidence to support his claim that a person can expect to be cured after a few sessions with him. :confused:


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Paul Dee


    Mitt055 wrote: »
    Can anyone find Paul Dee's evidence to support his claim that a person can expect to be cured after a few sessions with him. :confused:

    Why not accept my invitation? You have nothing to lose but a stammer. Then you'll have the evidence. :confused:


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Mitt055


    Well, all I can say is that if anyone is planning to go to Paul Dee expecting a cure, this thread would not inspire confidence. No evidence of success has being produced.

    If you do go, this seems to be Paul Dee's answer when you are not cured.
    Paul Dee wrote: »
    Who failed? the Hypnotist or the Stammerer?

    On that basis, an effort will be made to label you as a failure. Who would want to go down that route?


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Paul Dee


    Mitt055 wrote: »
    Well, all I can say is that if anyone is planning to go to Paul Dee expecting a cure, this thread would not inspire confidence. No evidence of success has being produced.

    If you do go, this seems to be Paul Dee's answer when you are not cured.



    On that basis, an effort will be made to label you as a failure. Who would want to go down that route?


    That's harsh! Your statement is assumed and ill informed. I have offered you a means to a cure. I have extended a genuine offer to assist in a cure to the point where you can experience for your self my methods at no cost to you unless you fail to complete the programme. Just complete the programme and if you are not cured you can have your money back. I've told you I've done it before and you ask for concrete evidence! I am not going to open a case file and divulge client information under any circumstances.

    You seem intent on rubbishing hypnosis as a means to a cure for psychosomatic conditions yet you seem devoid of any in depth knowledge in anything other that twisting words to formulate negative statements.

    I say Put up - or shut up. It is overtly obvious from your posting that you are afraid of something. Perhaps you are afraid of living life stammer/stutter free? Or perhaps you are a practitioner in a field other than hypnosis who can't deal with the fact that hypnosis used properly can affect a cure in a fraction of the time that other methods being used. If you have a vested interest, then show your colors. If you are a genuine case then face your fear. If you have some other reason to engage on a campaign of attempting to Rubbish Hypnosis then let's hear it?

    I've been offering you options and you have been behaving as if you want to fail. Sensible people take a test-drive before they make an informed opinion. And please don't come back playing symantics in an effort to rubbish hypnosis just because you don't understand it. Never make assumptions before all of your questions have been answered. Obviously all of your questions can't be dealt with online. That is why I made you the offer. I use hypnosis in a unique way. I have dealt all of the cards in a way that you will win. why do you keep looking for ways to lose!


  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Mitt055


    Paul Dee wrote: »
    Just complete the programme and if you are not cured you can have your money back.

    This reminds me of a court case some years ago after a famous hypnotist called Paul Goldiin, now deceased, made a similar offering. All was going well until a number of his clients decided to get together and sue him for breach of contract. I think there was 5 or 6 of them. They were obviously not cured and Paul Goldin was refusing to give them their money back.

    After the first day at court which was not going well for Paul Goldin as the claimants for all to see were not cured, the case was settled. It must have taken a lot of courage and a lot of anger for people who stammer to take a hypnotist to court.
    Paul Dee wrote: »
    It is overtly obvious from your posting that you are afraid of something.

    The only thing I'm afraid of is that some unfortunate people will lose a lot of money. If you do get some business from your money back guarantee - and somehow these schemes always have some takers - I would ask that you become aware of the limitations of hypnosis and possibly of your own ability. Maybe you are the best hypnotist in the world, I don't know, but if you can cure stammering you surely can lay claim to that title.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Paul Dee


    Mitt055 wrote: »
    This reminds me of a court case some years ago after a famous hypnotist called Paul Goldiin, now deceased, made a similar offering. All was going well until a number of his clients decided to get together and sue him for breach of contract. I think there was 5 or 6 of them. They were obviously not cured and Paul Goldin was refusing to give them their money back.

    After the first day at court which was not going well for Paul Goldin as the claimants for all to see were not cured, the case was settled. It must have taken a lot of courage and a lot of anger for people who stammer to take a hypnotist to court. Well that was unfortunate for all concerned, wasn't it! Not familiar with it.



    money back guarantee is just for you and nobody else but you. Which is? Read again

    I would ask that you become aware of the limitations of hypnosis and possibly of your own ability. I would suggest that you inform yourself before commenting, and become aware of the limitations of hypnosis and possibly of your own ability to make a valid comment.

    Maybe you are the best Commentator in the world, I don't know, Do you want to move the goal posts again or are you happy where they are?


  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Mitt055


    Whilst I'm finding it increasingly difficult to follow your posts due to your habit of interpersing your own comments into my posts, I wish you every success in helping anyone who decides to go to you.

    I hope they will find you of some benefit. It will at the very least satisfy their curiosity and it might even kick start somebody into looking for a way that will be truly helpful to them. I'm in favour of people looking at all avenues and very many people I know who stammer have tried hypnosis at some stage. Maybe its a neccessary step along the way so I wish you the best of luck and total success.

    Now I can't be fairer than that!


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Paul Dee


    I usually use CAPS or Bold to respond to the many emails I have to get through each day. It makes sense and saves time and is most effective when I find dealing one-on one. I haven't thought about it causing confusion on Boards. I'm sorry if I confused you. I thank you for your good wishes and I wish you all the best in your search for a cure. I'm not toting for business at this stage, I'm simply looking for like-minded people who really understand or want to understand hypnosis as I have found it to be effective. Pioneers before me have been ridiculed and it's par for the course. For every question there is an answer, and for every complicated question there is usually a complicated answer.

    Perhaps the hypnotherapies you/your friend consulted didn't get a result. There are obvious and not so obvious reasons why this may happen.

    20 years ago, before the BOOM!) I chose the wrong builder to fix a leaking roof. I learned a lot from the experience. Since then I've learned to use the builders with the track record. I seek out and award the business to the most proficient.

    Once again I wish you every success in your endeavuors.

    Paul D


    Mitt055 wrote: »
    Whilst I'm finding it increasingly difficult to follow your posts due to your habit of interpersing your own comments into my posts, I wish you every success in helping anyone who decides to go to you.

    I hope they will find you of some benefit. It will at the very least satisfy their curiosity and it might even kick start somebody into looking for a way that will be truly helpful to them. I'm in favour of people looking at all avenues and very many people I know who stammer have tried hypnosis at some stage. Maybe its a neccessary step along the way so I wish you the best of luck and total success.

    Now I can't be fairer than that!


  • Registered Users Posts: 22,142 ✭✭✭✭Esel


    Paul, please use Notepad rather than Word if you want to use an editor to compose replies. Your reply above is almost invisible to users on the Cloud skin (which uses a black background). There are also extraneous tags in your reply. Also, be sure to leave the QUOTE and /QUOTE tags (these are enclosed in square brackets which I could not include here) around the post(s) you are quoting intact.

    Not your ornery onager



  • Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Paul Dee


    esel wrote: »
    Paul, please use Notepad rather than Word if you want to use an editor to compose replies. Your reply above is almost invisible to users on the Cloud skin (which uses a black background). There are also extraneous tags in your reply. Also, be sure to leave the QUOTE and /QUOTE tags (these are enclosed in square brackets which I could not include here) around the post(s) you are quoting intact.


    Oops! Sorry esel. I assumed we were speaking the same language.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 PsychMan101


    does anybody provided us an answer or solution to this issue?

    _________________________________________
    Self Hypnosis Mp3 Audio CD's do they help???


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Paul Dee


    Offers extended. No takers = fear? Seriously, think about it.


  • Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83


    Confab wrote: »
    Or you could go to a practicing NLP Master Practitioner or Trainer and have it sorted in one 2 hour session. That's my experience, and I'm qualified in both (with the certificates to prove it) but practice in neither.

    The difference? Hypnotherapists are trained to believe that something bad happened in your childhood that made you stammer. NLP practitioners just sort the problem out. Hypnotherapists will cry 'oh, he hasn't sorted the problem, it's just dormant now'. Cobblers.

    I went through hypnotherapy as part of my training. The therapist tried to get me to believe I'd suffered child abuse.

    'Sure missus,' I thought, 'Whatever you say.'

    Hilarious stuff. I know people who've been abused as kids. Every single one of them remembered it. And here was this idiot trying to tell me I'd forgotten something that never happened. I had to fake the rest of the session to keep myself from laughing in her face.

    Incidentally, the reason I started training in hypnotherapy was because of my interest and because I wanted to get rid of a few irritating feelings. 8 sessions of hypnotherapy did nothing. Not one thing. 1 session of NLP sorted the whole thing. I woke up the next morning feeling better then I'd ever done before. Still feel the same way now.

    Hypnotherapy is very useful for a few things such as minor phobias and stop smoking stuff and can probably help a bit with stammering. But they're not logical about the whole thing.

    How many hypnotherapists know that people who stammer can sing the words with no problems? Try it. Doesn't that suggest something to you?

    I think you're experience may be with the ICHP. I believe they are trained in this way. Apart from the whole "something must have happened in your childhood" they have very good training, and I register them on a live register. The majority of clinical hypnotherapists (the ones who are properly trained) are not taught to believe that early trauma is the reason for most problems. But they are encouraged to be open to the possibility of this being the case with some people.

    It is possible that something like child abuse can be suppressed or not recognised by the victim but the problems it can cause are detrimental. As a trained clinical hypnotherapist, I prefer not to delve into the past if it is not required. I aim for symptomatic relief unless the client specifically requests otherwise. If the problem lies dormant for the rest of their lives without causing further upset; i'm happy as long as the client is. On rare occasions we do need to get to the root cause and this must always be discussed thoroughly with the client before heading in this direction. I know of a very well known hypnosis organisation (with offices scattered nationwide) which does not tell clients that they intend to regress them to their childhood to try fix the problem. They do this for every issue (including smoking cessation). I totally disagree with this behaviour and practice. Unfortunately I can't name the company but it is highly ranked on google and is expanding purely because of mass advertising. I have yet to meet a satisfied customer of theirs.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Paul Dee


    Hi goz83, With the greatest of respect, you are either missing the point, deliberately/subconsciously not seeing the point or, evading the point.

    Are you trying to change the subject?

    Do you want to find an answer to the original question or continue to try and muddy the waters?

    What company do you speak of that is spending heavily on advertising?


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭Macca206


    Paul Dee wrote: »
    Offers extended. No takers = fear? Seriously, think about it.

    Well if its a free trial then Id be prepared to go along and see if it works and report back in an honest way whether it worked or not.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Paul Dee


    Macca206 wrote: »
    Well if its a free trial then Id be prepared to go along and see if it works and report back in an honest way whether it worked or not.

    Make contact and let's get the ball finally rolling. I need you to commit to the programme for one hour a week for up to eight weeks, maybe less. You need to follow some simple guidelines. You will have a little homework that is essential. You need to enter the programme with an open mind and stay the course. That's not a big ask by any stretch of the imagination.

    Paul D


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭Macca206


    Paul Dee wrote: »
    Make contact and let's get the ball finally rolling. I need you to commit to the programme for one hour a week for up to eight weeks, maybe less. You need to follow some simple guidelines. You will have a little homework that is essential. You need to enter the programme with an open mind and stay the course. That's not a big ask by any stretch of the imagination.

    Paul D

    That seems fine. Can I do it in the daytime?


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Paul Dee


    Macca206 wrote: »
    That seems fine. Can I do it in the daytime?

    Sure! Why not! Call me.

    Regards,

    Paul Dee


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 browne1230


    Ive just joined this site. Ive been doing self help on my stammer for the last 12 years. I dont profess to be an expert in stammering, apart from having a stammer! I did speech therapy for years as a kid with no results. At the age of 25 I decided to try to sort it myself. Hours and hours of research on the web and situational practice. Thankfully ive learned to control my stammer and now it no longer hinders me.

    Stammering isnt about curing your speech on its own. Its about changing yourself as a person. If you do that then you can control your stammer to such and extent that its practically eliminated. I used a mix of the Van Riper method, John Harrison method and diaphram breathing. Its hard work at the beginning but soon becomes second nature. Ive a website about it. Its "breakmystammer.com" Hope it helps!


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Charlie_Boswell


    From the outset I have to admit that I haven't read every post but did get the jist of the topic. I haven't been on Boards in a while and I just wanted to share my experience over the last two years or so.

    I remember watching Paul McKenna on Sky one ages ago where he did a program called "I can change your life" One of the episodes was about a guy with a stammer that he worked with. I don't believe the was "cured" because I don't believe there is a cure for a stammer, However it did get me interested in the whole Idea of hypnosis to help with my stammer.

    I read and listened to two of his books 1. Instant Confidence 2. Change your life in 7 days.

    My personal and lasting experience is that they did have an effect on my outlook on life and indirectly my speech, I still listen to the accompanying CDs every so often. Following on from that I read Stephen Covey's "7 habits of highly effective people" and more recently I've downloaded Anthony Robbin's "Personal Power" and "Get the Edge" programs.

    My personal opinion is that the outlook I have on life greatly affects my fluency. I'm sure there are many more authors that I haven't discovered yet but so far I've found that by taking a proactive approach to how I live my life and the attitude/self confidence I give myself has greatly changed how I approach a difficult situation where I may stammer.

    I wouldn't have got this far if I hadn't started by reading/Listening to the material by Paul McKenna.

    In summary (and apologies for the long post) I think that if anyone tells you they can "cure" your stammer in 2 hours, 6 days or 6 weeks...Walk away they are looking for a fast buck...we all have the power to change ourselves if we choose to do so.

    Charlie;)


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Paul Dee


    From the outset I have to admit that I haven't read every post but did get the jist of the topic. I haven't been on Boards in a while and I just wanted to share my experience over the last two years or so.

    I remember watching Paul McKenna on Sky one ages ago where he did a program called "I can change your life" One of the episodes was about a guy with a stammer that he worked with. I don't believe the was "cured" because I don't believe there is a cure for a stammer, However it did get me interested in the whole Idea of hypnosis to help with my stammer.

    I read and listened to two of his books 1. Instant Confidence 2. Change your life in 7 days.

    My personal and lasting experience is that they did have an effect on my outlook on life and indirectly my speech, I still listen to the accompanying CDs every so often. Following on from that I read Stephen Covey's "7 habits of highly effective people" and more recently I've downloaded Anthony Robbin's "Personal Power" and "Get the Edge" programs.

    My personal opinion is that the outlook I have on life greatly affects my fluency. I'm sure there are many more authors that I haven't discovered yet but so far I've found that by taking a proactive approach to how I live my life and the attitude/self confidence I give myself has greatly changed how I approach a difficult situation where I may stammer.

    I wouldn't have got this far if I hadn't started by reading/Listening to the material by Paul McKenna.

    In summary (and apologies for the long post) I think that if anyone tells you they can "cure" your stammer in 2 hours, 6 days or 6 weeks...Walk away they are looking for a fast buck...we all have the power to change ourselves if we choose to do so.

    Charlie;)

    I fully agree. Now go back and read the posts to see what was on offer.


  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Esmeralda34


    My personal opinion is that the outlook I have on life greatly affects my fluency. I'm sure there are many more authors that I haven't discovered yet but so far I've found that by taking a proactive approach to how I live my life and the attitude/self confidence I give myself has greatly changed how I approach a difficult situation where I may stammer.


    Charlie;)[/quote]

    Hey Charlie

    I agree with you unreservedly! My stammer kicked off in school at 9 years old - following an assault from a nun that taught me in 3rd class primary school. My parents sent me to many therapists. The worst and most soul-destroying was a therapist when I was about 15 that dealt with stroke victims primarily. From my heart I don't mean any disrespect to stroke victims or people with physical speech difficulties. The thing is mine was certainly psychological - a foreign concept in rural Ireland even in the late eighties!

    You see, I could speak almost entirely without a stammer with some people but was much worse in other instances.

    I left Ireland for a period when I was nineteen. Within a few months my stammer disappeared entirely. I would talk about it quite openly and my friends and colleagues almost disbelieved me!

    Now I find it creeps out of the woodwork occasionally, but rare enough. Again it depends on whom I am speaking to and sometimes the subject matter.

    Sorry for the ramble here! However Charlie, I agree whole-heartedly that my outlook and confidence in myself has a huge impact. I also believe that we already hold the key to the door in our hearts and minds.

    I am not saying that that is for everyone, but certainly my personal experience. (In fact those many years ago when I went to speech therapists, I wouldn't stammer at all whilst talking to them!).

    Best of luck to everyone!

    Es


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Charlie_Boswell


    Macca206 wrote: »
    Ive a public speaking meditation/hypnotherapy cd that definately does help but does not completely cure it. Also if used too often it loses its affectiveness so would be interested if anyone had any other similar cds or could point me in the right direction

    HI Macca,
    If you Google "Paul McKenna Torrent" you'll get a raft of stuff you can download. I'd recommend the instant confidence and change your life in 7 days Books. I have to say I find Anthony Robbins fantastic for getting energized and focused on what I want. If you're Interested I'd start with Personal Power and Get the Edge.

    Hope this Helps

    Charlie


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Charlie_Boswell


    Paul Dee wrote: »
    I fully agree. Now go back and read the posts to see what was on offer.

    Hi Paul,
    I've read back on your posts and I have a few questions for you.

    1. Do you believe that a "cure" exists for a person with a stammer?

    2. You say that you decide after the first meeting if you can help somebody, what criteria do you set for this decision?

    3. Can you tell us anything of your longterm Success rates? by this I mean how many of your clients whether they are on a smoking cessation or weight loss etc program?

    4. A lot of Paul McKenna's Material on the two CD's I've listened to uses NLP, Do you think the NLP can produce long term results?

    5. Last but not least;) Do you think people can achieve the results you say you can produce on their own?


    Thanks in advance for your answers
    Rgds,
    Charlie


  • Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Fairdues


    A really helpful thread.


  • Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Fairdues


    I have a friend whom I will definitely refer to this thread.


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Charlie_Boswell


    Hi Paul Et Al,
    Just wondering if Paul is going to reply to my earlier post? I'm all in favour of helping people, but trying to sell an idea of a cure to stammering doesn't sit well with me.

    The Silence is deafening in his absence!! :rolleyes:

    Charlie


Advertisement