Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bray driving test centre?

Options
  • 07-03-2008 4:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭

I read in the paper this week that Bray is getting a driving test centre. Does anyone have any more details on where it will be and when they are starting to take applications -- I need to have another go at the test but will hold off applying for a little while if the Bray centre is going to be up and running soon.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Heard its opening in 2weeks operating out of the Ramada its a SGS Test Center.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭GAN

crap, if it's SGS that means you won't be able to apply directly. I reckon I'll have to apply to Wicklow and hope that I get sent there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭pirelli

What class of vehicles are they doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭owlwink

hopefully if I get sent there I will have 3rd time lucky:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭xIsabelx

I hate that it's an overflow centre....I bet if I apply for Wicklow, I'll get Wicklow town or Arklow.

Apparently the Bray centre will be commencing testing on April 1st and they'll be doing 24 tests a day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭GAN

Wow that's pretty impressive if they reckon they'll get through 24 tests a day. Have applied to Wicklow so fingers crossed I get sent there -- it is literally a four minute drive from my front door so if they're doing it on the basis of proximity then I should be in with a good chance. I put a little note on the online form asking fror Bray so fingers crossed!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 49 mcgiggy

It is now up and running....wooohooo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

Anybody know the test route yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭AMIIAM

leaving @ recycling centre, Boghall road. Left towards Ballywaltrim. Right @ traffic lights, next left, right @ next T junction, down Herbert Road tolights @ Royal Hotel. Straight through lights (if green) down to level crossing @ dart station. after intersection, turning right along seafront where emergency stop will be tested. from there, turn right up Putland hill where you will be stopped and asked to do a hill start. From there, to vevay, turn left to Boghall road , right again to test centre

Good to know but they bloody well sent me to wicklow again. Damn it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

it's only been two years since i passed my test but what in the hell is an emergency stop?

i've got pictures of them asking you to do one and just imagining someone slamming their foot on the brakes. :eek:

that's about the jist of it

is that new or what?

to me it seems like a very dangerous manouvre to be doing anywhere. what the hell happens if there's oil/black ice/rain on the road?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 tomreee

hold on, the test centre is at Ramada, whats this all about the recycling centre on boghall?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Welsh Wizard

Cremo wrote: »
    is that new or what?

to me it seems like a very dangerous manouvre to be doing anywhere. what the hell happens if there's oil/black ice/rain on the road?

Too be honest if there was such dangerous road conditions then i wouldn't say they'd ask you to perform it..

My missus past her test today, it started from ramarda and then went on to somewhere, was listening but the liverpool match was on..:rolleyes:
    She'll post the route tomorrow at some stage...

Bit of advise for you though, when driving on the n11 and not overtaking anyone then use the inside lane...:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 provisional

Hi Welsh Wizard,
    (First time posting on this forum so hope I am doing it right!). Big congrats to your wife - am very envious of her! Am taking my test (AGAIN) in Bray at beginning of May and would be so grateful if your wife could post the test route taken. Had my last two in Wicklow and they were a nightmare so am hoping this might be a bit better and that I will have third time lucky! (If not I am going to throw in the towel I think!). Thanks in advance.

She's not quite my ball and chain yet...
    She'll be home for around 5.30pm, I'll ask her to log on and post the correct route...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Cremo wrote: »
    it's only been two years since i passed my test but what in the hell is an emergency stop?

i've got pictures of them asking you to do one and just imagining someone slamming their foot on the brakes. :eek:

Exactly Emergency Stop? what do they que the Child running across the road :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 tomreee

just passed my test this morning, this was the route i was taken on (Route 2)

left out of testcentre, left at roundabout down the vevay road, onto Newcourt road, cuala road, Putland road(hillstart here), vevay road again, turn into Charnwood(?) (just past tesco) 3-point turn in estate, vevay road into the town, down to quinnsboro road, loop back up to Florence road, back down the main street, up Herbert road, King Edward road, killarney road all the way to the end, back down the southern cross, stopping by Earlscroft(?) to reverse around a corner, before finishing in ramada again.

Hope thats some help to someone, its not too bad at all

Certainly of help to me tomreee - thanks for posting and congrats you must be thrilled. Hate that roundabout at the garage at the Southern Cross Road but apart from that it sounds OK. Did they ask you to do (how to do) a lot of the technical checks? Sorry about all the questions!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Chatterb*x

New to this so bear with me!!
    Did my driving test on Tuesday afternoon in Bray on route 1 and passed!! :)
    The route posted leaving from the recycling centre is wrong as they go from the Ramada hotel, also they dont test emergency stops in your driving test, so I wouldnt bother following the directions on that post..

Ok here goes.... its long but if you know Bray I am sure you will be able to follow these directions!!

Leave the Ramada Hotel and turned left, down to the roundabout and back around onto the southern cross. Up the southern crosss to the roundabout at Woodies, took right turn off the roundabout and a right onto Killarney road, down past the graveyard, head towards the traffic lights at the church, turned left at the lights. Passed the post office and took a right at the end of the road, down past the green tree and right into Killarney Park (not sure if its Park or Heights but the first estate on the right. Did my 3 point turn there then took a right out of the estate, continued on and took the next right, passed Silverpines and straight ahead, took a left at the end of the road and headed down into the town. At the top of the town, took the first left (think its Parnell rd or sq, loads of road works!!) followed that road and took a left at the end, followed the road and took a left up into Ardmore - this is where I had to do my hill start, on the ardmore hill (steep!!), up the hill staying to the left and did my reverse around the corner (the second last corner on the left on your way out of the estate), back out of Ardmore to the left, passed Silverpines again, straight ahead, right onto Killarney road, passed Fairyhill, continue on to the lights, took a left there onto the Boghall rd, continue to the end of the bog road and take a right, through the roundabout, right at the next roundabout and right back into the Ramada car park!!! Phew!!!! Thank god thats over....

Good luck to you all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Splendour

Does anyone have a phone number for this test centre?

I drove into the business park beside the Ramada (as per signpost), but couldn't find it. Can I apply directly through this centre?

knew they'd use ardmore hill as the hill start, fair fecks to ya for getting your test.

that hill is a bugger to even the most experienced drivers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭jellybaby21

They are bringing in the 'emergency stop' to the test next year as well as parallel parking on the right and left side!!!

Had to do the emergency stop when i done my test 9 years ago.. but that was in the u.k.

What is this going to mean come July...?
    Is there going to be more or less cars on the road...?
    Will it take less time to get anywhere when only fully licenced drivers are on the road..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭AMIIAM

Very surprised to learn that " Emergency Stop "! is irrelevant in Ireland. It is mandatory in the UK, rightly so.Ever wondered why your insurance premiums are so exhorbitant? Also driving on theM50/M/N11is a nightmare for experienced drivers. No lane discipline. IE ones who sat a proper driving examination. As for parking, "abandoned vehicles " seems more appropriate to me. Also, why cannot the grossly obese mammy not walk the grossly obese pup to school instead of cluttering already stressed out traffic layouts with more poorly trained drivers? I rest my case.

The test centre is in behind the hotel... You cant apply directly, you have to apply to Wicklow and if you get outsourced you may get Bray!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭xIsabelx

I heard that one of the routes brings you down to Greystones to the Esso garage and turning in to Redford, where you do your 3 point turn, reverse bend and hill start. (but that could just be a rumour) I also heard they bring you down the meath road. But I can't understand why any route would start anywhere other than the southern cross where the centre is. :confused:

I do a hill start on the putland everyday, so that'd be class if I had to ever do it there. :)
    Never been to Ardmore hill...gulp!

QUESTION: Anyone know which test centres in Wicklow are for which locations? I went to book my test and it said:

"Choose your test centre"

WICKLOW
    WICKLOW NO 2

Was there always two Wicklows???

Hi,

Probably a very silly question, but have just had a pre-test this morning (with a pre-tester who sadly did not know any of the routes!) and who gave me really no answer to one of the concerns I have. When driving back to the Bray test centre up the Southern X road (towards the Vevay Road direction), you have to go into the outer lane for much of the road due to a bus lane. The turn into the SGS test centre at Ramada is just after the end of the Bus Lane, equally the left arrow turn for that entrance too is just after the bus lane. Driving instructor told me that due to bus lane and arrow positioning that I cannot go into the bus lane for left turn, equally when I asked what if bus or traffic (alot of cars go into that lane anyway) are coming down, can I stop in right hand lane before making the turn (which seems pretty dangerous to me) - she thought for a while and then said well no you are not meant to stop in the right hand lane and hold up the traffic! Her advise was to pray that there was nothing coming on the left lane! Anybody know what I can legally do without getting myself a 'fault mark'? Was hoping pretest would settle my nerves, has just made me 10 times worse! Thanks in advance.:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

provisional do you think you could pm me the name of the person you did your pretest with?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement