Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Oven and Hob

• 11-02-2008 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

My girlfriends parents currently have a freestanding gas cooker. i will be installing a new kitchen next week and was wondering how difficult it would be to replace the cooker with a built in electric oven.
    The wiring thats is? What is required? How dufficult is it? Do i need an electrician to do it?
    I will be going for a built in gas hob.

Thanks for the help!!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Assuming this hasn't been installed previously, you'll need a new mcb at the distribution board, new cabling from the mcb to the new cooker switch, new cabling from the cooker switch to the oven & hob (hob for the ignitor).

It's a job for an electrician, not something that you should take on unless qualified :)

Good call on the electric oven and gas hob btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭oneillk

thanks for the help.
    Looks like ill get an electrician or a gas oven again.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Assuming this hasn't been installed previously, you'll need a new mcb at the distribution board, new cabling from the mcb to the new cooker switch, new cabling from the cooker switch to the oven & hob (hob for the ignitor).

It's a job for an electrician, not something that you should take on unless qualified :)
    What about if you are just replacing an under counter electric cooker with another under counter electric cooker?

The big red cooker power switch is on the wall and there is one fat cable going to the back of the cooker. Can I simply switch off the power switch (and the switch at MCB, to be extra safe), unscrew fat cable from old cooker and screw into new cooker?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Yeah, that should be fine. Make sure all your connections are tight and you don't damage the copper conductor. If in doubt contact an electician :)

Advertisement