Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Microscope light, adapter 110/220v Help!

• 31-01-2008 11:08pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭

Bought a Microscope from the US. The adapter that came with it is american two pin. I am assured that the light will work with either 110 or 220 power.

Will I be able to get an adapter that will work here?
    The light is a 20w tungsten halogen light.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

tungsten halogen light designed to operate over 110 V will not operate to anywhere near its desired spec (if at all) on 220V.
    Is there a power supply that says something like

input 220/110 Vac
    Output 12 Vdc

if the power supply is smart it will detect the different input voltages and output the same regardless.
    If this is the case shops like Argos, www.cpc.co.uk, travel shops in air ports, some Euro Value shops etc will sell the Us to UK adapter.

if there is no power supply between the lamp and the input supply (socket) then you will need a unit with a built in step down transformer.

Can you give us the input and out put readings for the unit, then we could advise better and give a link to what you require?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Have you a link to the product?? we might be able to tell a little more then...

It could be as simple as changing the plug, or using a trafo, or changing the bulb.... without more info its difficult to see which is the best solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

difficult to see

Excuse the pun considering it's a microscope :p

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

Okay I'm back with hopefully all the info....

The first image is of the base of the microscope, which has 1.2v green batteries within the black square, (rechargeable I assume, the light does not work at the moment I'd say batteries need to be charged)
    The second image is of the adaptor that came with it. The adaptor is labeled as follows AC ADAPTOR INPUT: 100-240V~ OUTPUT:6VDC 800mA

Attachment not found.
    Attachment not found.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

As suspected by previous posters the transformer appears to be designed to be able to function on our 230 voltage. All you need is a 2 pin to 3 pin travel adaptor. It's giving you a 6vdc output to microscope once input voltage is between 100 and 240 vac.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Andrea B. wrote: »
    Excuse the pun considering it's a microscope :p

It looks like it's no-longer difficult to see the best solution :D (thanks for pointing out the pun ;) )

Yea as Andrea says above the power supply appears to be auto-ranging, so all you need is a "travel" type plug. It does not need to step down the voltage, just needs to physically connect the live and neutral lines.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

a universal power supply could also be the job, they have em in cheapo Euro Value shops of €2 if you are lucky

Are the batteries for charging it?

Stoner whats the universal power supply thingy is it an adaptor too?

Thanks soo much for the help.

Genuises on boards

yep that looks like the job alright

the ones in the euro shops would replace the complete PSU, i.e you just adjust them to 6V dc pick the connection that fits your scope and plug it in, could work out to being a better job TBH, I dont really like those adaptors sometimes the connection can become a bit loose

• Advertisement

Stoner wrote: »
    yep that looks like the job alright

the ones in the euro shops would replace the complete PSU, i.e you just adjust them to 6V dc pick the connection that fits your scope and plug it in, could work out to being a better job TBH, I dont really like those adaptors sometimes the connection can become a bit loose

Got the one in argos and its fine, I agree though that the connection is'nt too tight. Will keep an eye out for the universal power supply in my local euro shop...

Again Thanks To ye all

Advertisement