Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Got the MOTOR FINDER scam call this morning!

• 29-01-2008 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭

Well, I put my car up on a few sites last night to sell. About 9:40 this morning got a call from a +357 number (Cyprus). Some English guy giving me the whole speel about lots of buyers interested (I wonder how many buyers looked at my car between 1:30 am last night and 9:40 this morning?) and it wouldn't cost me anything, except €118 admin fee thats refunded after the car is sold the they give sell the buyer finance for the car.
    Talk about the hard sell and not taking no for an answer! If it wasn't for this forum I wouldn't have been so wise to the scam.
    I told him I knew what they were about and how they operated. He tried to seem surprised and asked what did I mean and that how could I know I did not want to use their service if I never used it before. I explained I'd never used heroin before and never wanted to, which left him lost for words.
    He came back again asking why I didn't want to use the service I told him freedom of choice. He then hung up.

Just want to thank people in the forum here for putting me wide to this. got me thinking afterwards that they are quite pushy and if you weren't on the ball you can so easily get caught out.

Pete.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭mvpr

Good work - I know someone who fell for this. Still has his car for sale on all the sights a month and a half later with no word from the cold-callers.

They got really offended when they called me before, then hung up on me!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

When they rang me I told them I had no interest in dealing with a a theiving shower of conartists and to F%^k off and then hung up.

He rang me back and asked "would you kiss your mother with that mouth". I hung up again.

He rang back a third time so I just answered the call and left my phone on the desk.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

well done :D

Yeah I do kiss my ma with that mouth but she's not a thieving ****ing con artist!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

YEAP, called me also. Just put the phone down mid conversation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

knipex wrote: »
    He rang me back and asked "would you kiss your mother with that mouth". I hung up again.

...........I would have said "yes"........but i'd have to get off your SISTER FIRST!
    Calling from Cyprus ehhhhhhhhhhh, loadza ex cons tans living in exile out there..........

I remember having a car in the buyandsell there a few months back. I got a call from some nice young girl in some publication in Co.Meath asking would i buy an ad with them. I had never heard of the magazine in question. I said "yes" - sure, "no problem" - shure it'll help sell the car. "Great" she said, that'll be €60 or whatever. I said, no problem, giver me an email address to send you pics and text and get it in the mag and when it sells as a result of your great publication, i'll pay you. She didnt know what to do. She said I'd have to pay up front but i stated that if their mag was as good as she said, It'd sell in no time and she'd get her fee. She said she's have to check with her manager...............and call me back.

She never did............strange that ehhhh:rolleyes:.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BnA

knipex wrote: »

...........I would have said "yes"........but i'd have to get off your SISTER FIRST!
    Calling from Cyprus ehhhhhhhhhhh, loadza ex cons tans living in exile out there..........

I remember having a car in the buyandsell there a few months back. I got a call from some nice young girl in some publication in Co.Meath asking would i buy an ad with them. I had never heard of the magazine in question. I said "yes" - sure, "no problem" - shure it'll help sell the car. "Great" she said, that'll be €60 or whatever. I said, no problem, giver me an email address to send you pics and text and get it in the mag and when it sells as a result of your great publication, i'll pay you. She didnt know what to do. She said I'd have to pay up front but i stated that if their mag was as good as she said, It'd sell in no time and she'd get her fee. She said she's have to check with her manager...............and call me back.

She never did............strange that ehhhh:rolleyes:.
    I'd say it was this crowd that rang you

http://www.motortrader.ie/

Their website is woeful for searching for cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Dubit10

Sorry lads.But if you fall for that scam you deserve to be robbed;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

I got the motor trader call last week when it went in the buy and sell but there was no hard sale. Maybe a sticky should be put up about this? I'm sure almost everyone who places an ad gets a call like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭bman

BnA wrote: »

haha. That site is ridiculous. How could you possibly use it to search for cars? You seem to have to go through all the cars one by one that are made by a certain manufacturer. No search functionality at all!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

pete4130 wrote: »
    I'm sure almost everyone who places an ad gets a call like this?

hence why many ads have "no agents or canvessers" etc. Facking hate their calls TBH.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,696 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I got the call last week as well. I recognised the call originated in Cyprus and I've recently done some work there, so I took the call

They: "hello I am from a company called <whatever>. Is your car still for sale?"

penny drops immediately :)

Me: "sorry not interested, goodbye"

hangs up

They haven't rung me...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

They've called me 4 or 5 times in the last week. Twice today alone, only 13minutes apart. The called from 0044 208 4469407, which is a London no, iirc......

Me, I just told them the car was sold.

But, I need to find a way to have their phone bill go mad.......any ideas?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BnA

galwaytt wrote: »
    They've called me 4 or 5 times in the last week. Twice today alone, only 13minutes apart. The called from 0044 208 4469407, which is a London no, iirc......

They can be fairly persistant in their ringing. About 2 years ago, on a Saturday, I missed something like 14 or 15 calls from them on the same day. I was answering some and leaving them down beside the telly, or giving them to my 2 year old, just the usual messin' or just letting them ring out. They kept on trying. Usually in bursts of 2 or 3 calls. They tried again once or twoce on the Monday and Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

galwaytt wrote: »

Download a Credit Card generator (Luhn Algorithm) and say your interested i'm sure the fraud squad will be knockin on their door ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 73,380 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I got the call last week. told them I wan't interested and they left it that.

Also got a caller last night who just asked if the interior pics were actually of the interior (?) and how much was the car (?)

Also got an "offer" of half the asking price by email!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭IrishRover

I haven't seen this posted here before - this guy winds up a cold caller brilliantly:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5z4Vs26-TI
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 tommyjones

BnA wrote: »

I don't think so BnA, I used to work for motortrader.ie they don't operate like that at all. Also their site isn't like what you said. As I said I used to work for them and if my photography business didn't take off like it did I would still work for them. Never had one problem with them, hence my loyalty.:mad::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Download a Credit Card generator (Luhn Algorithm) and say your interested i'm sure the fraud squad will be knockin on their door ;)

They don't work without a billing address.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

IrishRover wrote: »
    I haven't seen this posted here before - this guy winds up a cold caller brilliantly:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5z4Vs26-TI
    :D

That is brilliant :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

had the same thing when i was selling my car.

as soon as it wasn't an irish number ringing you, yo can bet it's most likely going to be dodgy.

after the usual "Hi, I'm ringing about the car you have for sale in xxxx" my reply was "Do YOU personally want to buy my car, privately for yourself?" to which the answer was inevitably "No, but..." I have no idea what they say after that though, I always hung up. :D

my dad used to run two businesses from home in the UK and used to get no end of calls all day from various people trying tos ell him something. It got to the point where he could almost time them as they went through the phonebook from the time they called for his virst business and the time they called about the second one.

He repeatedly asked to be removed from whatever list they had him on but was ignored for about 18 months.

finally he happened to come across an air-horn and after testing it on the phone with me (letting me kno to move my ear well away from the handset first) gave it to them full blast the next time they called. that was the last time (well, two times) they ever called. :D

it started again a couple of years ago, but there's now an exclusion list in the UK that you can request to be put on and NOBODY is allowed to canvass you. it works too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

http://www.motortrader.ie/ - so you click to see what the deal is and you're redirected to paypal... wtf? They don't even explain what they're offering!
    tommyjones wrote: »
    I don't think so BnA, I used to work for motortrader.ie they don't operate like that at all. Also their site isn't like what you said. As I said I used to work for them and if my photography business didn't take off like it did I would still work for them. Never had one problem with them, hence my loyalty.:mad::eek:

Can you please tell me why they don't explain what's in their promotions... why do you have to pay before you're given any details. What nationwide magazines do they advertise your car in and what website does your car go on to, just motorfinder?

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭DaveD

I'm just about to advertise my car and no doubt will be getting these kinda calls all day long about it. I plan just to keep them on the phone as long as possible to run up their phone bill :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 tommyjones

steve06 wrote: »
    http://www.motortrader.ie/ - so you click to see what the deal is and you're redirected to paypal... wtf? They don't even explain what they're offering!

Can you please tell me why they don't explain what's in their promotions... why do you have to pay before you're given any details. What nationwide magazines do they advertise your car in and what website does your car go on to, just motorfinder? ...you mean Motor Trader

Its very fairly easy to understand the offer on the website, its written in english and it says, Advertise your car until its sold for X amount. Motor Trader are not Motor Finder, also they published my photos in their three magazines, Leinster Motor Trader, Connacht Motor Trader and Munster Motor Trader. You pay in advance so photographers like me who submit work to companies like this get paid and are left driving around the country and getting messed around like the guy who doesn't know how to say no on the phone their and just wants to run up peoples bills. If you don't want calls, simply put in those 2 little simple words in your ad "No canvassers".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 mairtinomarta

I got a call today from +35725878716 with an offer from a "finance company" to put me in touch with customers of theirs who would pay the full asking price for my advertised car. All for a nearly fully-refundable fee, would get something like E100 back from E120 once car was sold. He said they would make their money from the "financing". English male accent. Asked if car was in good nick and was selling for genuine reasons etc. I was unsure at first but stopped short of giving laser / credit card payment details. I just told him to email me and I would get back.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

..... I was unsure at first but stopped short of giving laser / credit card payment details. ....

sweet jeebus, that's a close one!

We really need a phone-bill propogating mechanism, though - it's the only thing that'll hurt - in the pocket !

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 1 paddy-shaughnessy

Your gas BnA, jumping to conclusions, I actually worked for that company years ago, scammers they weren't. In fact this thread was talking about a completely different company from outside the country. The motor trader back in its day was the only Irish company that was trying to help people sell their car. The likes of Auto trader and car buyers guide etc were all english owned doing the same work but didn't have as much success, but lets knock an Irish company for the sake of it and make wild accusations. Typical. Pete1430 fair play that you had the cop on not to fall for that scam. This county needs to step up and be more vigilant against companies operating here. I will finish by saying that company motortrader in Ireland was a 100% genuine Irish company and it was a great company to work for and help sell thousands of cars. Fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭passatman86

I did have a little laugh at your post count and the age of the thread

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭barryribs

What's even more impressive is that he obviously got the search function to work

• Registered Users Posts: 51,101 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

New account created just to respond to a 13 year old thread. That's dedication.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭BnB

Mudder of gawd 13 facking years is a long time. Sorry Paddy, I can't remember how good or bad MotorTrader was back in the day. As Slash said once, I can barely remember what my opinions are, let alone my reasons for them.

I do remember those Motor Finder scams though. You couldn't put a car up on the BuyandSell for 5 minutes without some gobshite ringing you 42 times telling you he had 10 buyers in "your area". Obviously, you had to pay him a hundred quid or so to get access to them.

Advertisement