Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Translation

Options
  • 18-01-2008 9:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 45

Hi not sure if this is the correct place to post this..

Can somebody translate this for me it’s an Argentine football chant by River Plate supporters.

Hay che bostero,
    vos sos ortiva
    vos sos amigo,
    de la policia
    en Mar del Plata
    no te plantaste,
    con los Borrachos
    como cobraste...
    sos cagon, sos cagon
    sos cagon, sos cagon

A donde vayas,
    siempre estaremos
    vos sos mi vida,
    lo que mas quiero
    esta tu hinchada,
    esta es tu gente
    la que te sigue
    y te alienta siempre...
    River Plate, River Plate
    River Plate, River Plate

I think in Argentina Cagon means cowardly?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Awful Scut Mk2

Resistance,

A lot of this appears to be Buenos Aires slang, known as lunfardo, but I'll do my best.

Hay che bostero, - Hey you, bostero (derogatory term for Boca Juniors fans)
    vos sos ortiva - you are a snitch
    vos sos amigo, - you are a friend
    de la policia - of the police
    en Mar del Plata - in Mar del Plata (this appears to be a posh Argentine resort, don't know what other connotations this has)
    no te plantaste, - you didn't stand up
    con los Borrachos - to the Drunks (River's notorious 'firm' is known as the Terrace Drunks)
    como cobraste... - because you were getting it (a beating)
    sos cagon, sos cagon - you're a wimp
    sos cagon, sos cagon - you're a wimp

A donde vayas, - wherever you go
    siempre estaremos - we will always be there
    vos sos mi vida, - you are my life
    lo que mas quiero - what I love most
    esta tu hinchada, - these are you fans
    esta es tu gente - these are your people
    la que te sigue - who follow you
    y te alienta siempre... - who always cheer you on
    River Plate, River Plate
    River Plate, River Plate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Resistance

Thanks Awful Scut Mk2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Sonic999

Ay che bostero... vos sos ortiba / Hey you "derogatory nick of your rival team"... you f**king rat (snitch/grass)
    vos sos amigo... de la policía. / you're friends... with the police.
    En Mar del Plata... no te plataste / In "name of a city or place"... you chickened-out
    con los "Borrachos"... cómo cobraste... / with the "Drunks" (nickname of our "hooligans")... you got beat the sh*t out.
    Sos cagón, sos cagón! x4 / You've no guts, you've no guts!... x4
    A donde vayas... siempre estaremos / Wherever you go... we'll always be there,
    vos sos mi vida... lo que más quiero. / you're my life... what I love most.
    Esta es tu hinchada, esta es tu gente, / These are your fans... these are your people,
    la que te sigue... y te alienta siempre / those who support ya... and always root for ya.
    RIVER PLATE, RIVER PLATE!!! x4 / YOUR TEAM, YOUR TEAM!!

This song is now chanted not only by River Plate, but also by many other teams around the globe (check out youtube.com: "sos cagon" to get the rhythm).

I think that's a proper translation. But we could find better slang terms for "ortiba", "plantaste", "como cobraste", "cagon", and "esta es tu hinchada".

ortiba = slang for snitch
    plantaste = you didn't stand up like a man for the fight. I used chickened-out cause it rhymes with "beat the **** out". :p
    cómo cobraste! = man! the beating you took!
    sos cagón = you're someone who sh*ts his pants in fear
    ésta es tu hinchada = this is your "hinchada"; we have a word (noun) for all the ppl supporting the team in the stadium. I don't think there's a word in english for that. In Brazil they call it "torcida". "This is Sao Paulo's torcida", "This is River Plate's hinchada". I don't think you can say "This is Manchester's/Chelsea's/Arsenal's/etc. xxxxxxx". You just say "These are xxxxxx's supporters".
    See if you can find better slang words... and if they can be used bearing in mind the rhythm of the song.

The reference to Mar del Plata is about a fight between the "Drunks" and the "Bosteros" during a match in that city... you can see it in youtube (I'm not proud of it, but man did they get the **** beat out!): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBrGL42g8Bc

Advertisement