Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Leave of abscence in training contract?

Options
  • 17-01-2008 11:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

I am currently a year and a half into a 3.5 year training contract with a big 4 accountancy firm. Lately a lot of my mates have been heading off travelling etc. and I just feel like its passing me by. (I won't be finished my contract until April 2010).
    I was thinking of trying to ask if there is anyway I could take a 3 to 6 month leave of abscence and have my contract extended by that amount of time. I am just wondering if anyone has ever done this or knows of anyone who has and what are the chances of the company allowing it? Any info would be great. Cheers.

Comments

Hey

I wouldn't advise it, tbh. I know its easier said, than done, but I would see through the ACA (its what I did), and then have all the time in the world to travel. (also what I did!)

When interviewing people, I would be inclined to question a leave of absence taken during a training contract. It could raise issues about commitment and maturity, tbh. Also, this is all on the proviso that your current employer even goes with the idea! Things move fast in the big 4, and you could come back in 6 months and have utterly failed to progress, or even fallen behind those who were once your peers, so to speak.

Anyway, its a personal choice, but I would advise: sit it out. Hope this helps :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Hungry

Cheers.
    I was jsut interested to see if anyone had done it or felt like that before. I know it is better to sit it out because it would be all worth it in the end. But 2 years seems like such a long time when you are young! Thanks anyway.

Trust me, i definitely felt like doing it! But from where I am now, 4 years after qualifying, I'm quite glad I didn't, for the reasons I mentioned before. Best of luck anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

never heard of anyone doing it in big4

tbh I don't think they'll allow it - in fact I'd bet on it

if they allow 1 person ....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,020 ✭✭✭applehunter

I was offered a forced "leave of absence" by my employer if i did not pass my Prof 3 exams in September.

Maybe it was just scaremongering but I got the exams so **** them!

There is a mechanism in the institute to take leave of absence though.

• Advertisement

I was offered a forced "leave of absence" by my employer if i did not pass my Prof 3 exams in September.

Maybe it was just scaremongering but I got the exams so **** them!

There is a mechanism in the institute to take leave of absence though.

That IS scaremongering, imo. Surely you are contracted with them anyway, so those kinda threats carry no weight? Anyway, I would get out of there the day your contract expires

Advertisement