Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

foreign beer prices

Options
  • 13-01-2008 2:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,880 ✭✭✭

just back from Rome and feck was beer dear, ranged from 6 a pint to 15 in some places, i thought we were royally screwed here on prices but definitely not by their prices.
    France the beer is cheap and nice, 1664 i particularly like.

why so dear in Rome?

where have you been that it's cheap dear?

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,283 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Yeah, found the same thing in Rome a couple of years ago. I think it's because the Italians don't really have a culture of beer drinking. We did find a couple of places that were not quite as extortionate, but they were still dear enough. On the flip side, when we were in Sorrento on the same holiday our hotel had bottles of Peroni (not Nastro Azzurri - same brewery, different beer) for €2 a bottle. Our bar bill was huge at the end of the week.

I found America surprisingly expensive for beer any time I've been there, particularly New York. Not Rome prices, maybe a little bit higher or lower than here, depending on where you are, but considering everything else is cheap there I expect the beer to be cheap too.

Cheapest I had was in Prague around 1996, one place had beer that was about 19p a pint. In fairness, it tasted like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I've never been to Rome but I found Amsterdam surprisingly expensive this year.

NYC a beer on Times Sq cost me €6-

I was in Beirut where a beer (a 330ml bottle) cost me US$9- :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I had a pain in the arse evening finding pubs in Rome... it's just ice cream parlours everywhere...

And the zoo isn't the best either...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Was in Portugal last year, Porto to be exact.

The local stuff was 80 cent a bottle (330ml) and it was very drinkable. Although in one place, we were ripped off, the same beer was 95 cent. Bastards.

In fairness, I have never found the US expensive for beer. Certain places in New York, certainly, but in general no.

The most expensive was in Monte Carlo - €10 a pint. Although the pints were €5 in McCarthy's, an Irish pub there, which isn't bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Thailand.
    30c a bottle. Happy days. Good beer too (Singha)!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭trout

The cheapest beer I have ever known is Pa trout's Homebrew. I never had to pay a penny.

Incidentally, it is also the dearest beer I have ever known ... as it cost Pa trout his eyesight one weekend ... he advised me never, ever, ever to drink homebrew so "fresh" that is it was still warm from the fermentation process.

In fairness, he was making it in a big plastic bin (like a wheelie bin, but no wheels) in his shed, without the aid of measuring equipment ... so everything was based on a hand full of this and a hand full of that. He even stirred the awful concoction with his hand ... and I still drank it.

Thankfully ... his sight returned fully some days later ... so now you know the phrase "blink drunk" has some basis in reality. :cool:

I was charged 10 US Dollahs for a beer on a beach in the Cayman Islands a few years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,880 ✭✭✭patrickc

I had a pain in the arse evening finding pubs in Rome... it's just ice cream parlours everywhere...

And the zoo isn't the best either...

found a few even an irish one,
    Forky wrote: »
    Thailand.

that is happy days
    trout wrote: »
    The cheapest beer I have ever known is Pa trout's Homebrew. I never had to pay a penny.

Incidentally, it is also the dearest beer I have ever known ... as it cost Pa trout his eyesight one weekend ... he advised me never, ever, ever to drink homebrew so "fresh" that is it was still warm from the fermentation process.

In fairness, he was making it in a big plastic bin (like a wheelie bin, but no wheels) in his shed, without the aid of measuring equipment ... so everything was based on a hand full of this and a hand full of that. He even stirred the awful concoction with his hand ... and I still drank it.

Thankfully ... his sight returned fully some days later ... so now you know the phrase "blink drunk" has some basis in reality. :cool:

I was charged 10 US Dollahs for a beer on a beach in the Cayman Islands a few years back.

pa trouts home brew sounds very potent

and 10 a beer in the caymans ya get that im sure when your trying to dodge tax there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Forky wrote: »
    Thailand.
    Singha is not good beer imo, it's the Bud of SouthEast Asia.

Full of chemicals that lead to a disgusting hangover.

Chang ftw, same price, but much nicer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

DesF wrote: »

Chang is good too, personally prefer Singha.

But Tiger beats em both hands down.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I find Scandinavia to be expensive, even their so-called offies. €6 a bottle I remember paying :eek: I also remember ordering a beer and sandwich in Helsinki airport and it came to €13. And the beer was only .4L even though it was in a .5L glass so it looks like you are getting only half a beer which added to my dismay!

Eastern Europe was cheap a few years back. I remember paying only 20 or 30p for Budvar in Prague. Prices where I am are OK in comparison to Ireland. Bottles of beer cost from €1.50 in the pubs, have to pay €1.80-€2 if you were to go for the imports like Budvar or Staropramen.

Regarding Amsterdam, has anyone else noticed that the beer is cheaper in the airport than in most of the city pubs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭denashpot

did any1 come across any decent pubs in paris?? heading there next month. thanks!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

denashpot wrote: »
    did any1 come across any decent pubs in paris?? heading there next month. thanks!:D

beware of prices there, I paid €15 for a pint there a few months ago :eek:

Pubs there were different, the french ones have more of a cafe style to them, if you want a pub pub you gotta go to the irish or scottish pubs, I cant direct you to where they were as I was being led to them most of the time and can't remember where they were. As i recall there's not much along the lines of pubs in the Eiffel Tower area, just lots of restaurants.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭Treora

denashpot wrote: »

In Paris try, Rue Delambre (South side of street), Montparnasse. There is a nice pub, can't remember the name but it isn't very obvious from the outside. Paris is around €6-€8 for a beer

Monkeyfudge: Rome has a different attitude to Ireland. They only drink a quarter or less of what we do and women drinking more than two .25l is considered ugly by everyone. Hence so many fine asses.

However in Campo de Fiori has place call Saby's (?) and for winter/spring from 23:30 - 02:00 a beer is €3, a shot is €2 and a beer €4. That said, Campo is normally 6.5, but elsewhere beer is only €5. Because people live in the city centre in Rome people don't want 10 bars beside each other due to noise pollution. So you will fine 1 or 2 bars in each neighbourhood, thus the walk around.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭denashpot

thanks mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭DirtyDiesels

Des wrote: »

I disagree, Chang and Leo are horrible flat tasting beers, where as Singha is more like a smoothened version of miller...i m just back from thailand and i drank singha for the 3 weeks most nights, never had a serious hangover...

:P...Maybe you need to start getting out more...mayb e drink a little more:P:P:P:P:P:P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭trout

die Zombie thread, die!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement