Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternative to a "hen night"?

Options
  • 04-01-2008 11:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭

Hi guys and gals, well after a year of failing miserably to plan for our 2009 wedding we've decided to bring it forward to this August - we were sick of waiting and it was all getting too big. So, what I need are ideas for something to do to distract my family/friends from holding a full scale hen night for me. I worked in bars for years and I can think of no more hideous way to spend and evening than drinking cocktails through fallic straws in a busy bar.

Has anyone here done something a bit different? Going abroad isn't an option as a few of my closest friends are doing masters/PhDs and wouldn't have the cash. I was thinking some kind of activity day? Oh, and I'd prefer it not to be something really girly, since most of my friends are fellas, and frankly, getting me into a wedding dress is enough girlyness for one year!

Anyway, any suggestions would be appreciated. The rest of the organising seems to be going smoothly *crosses fingers* so I'm trying to stop this becoming some big complicated thing. I hope!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭echosound

Plenty of options for just a nice day out - perhaps a day gokarting, a nice meal in a restaurant, or some activity like hiring out a boat for a cruise/sightseeing down the shannon/round the coast?

Horseriding? Could arrange a weekend away with a hotel on the coast and get the hotel to arrange an activity day to include horseriding or trekking?

Don't want to suggest the obvious spa weekend seeing as most of your male mates wouldn't really appreciate it!

If you wanted to keep it low key you could just have a party at your house, with a BBQ or suchlike. Not all hens/stags have to be big extravagant affairs costing the earth, esp. with so many unable to afford a lot of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

Hmm, I kinda like the idea of taking a barge or something down the shannon, thanks! I like the idea of an activity day to, has anyone here tried one and how did you get on?

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Fr Dougal

The Causey Experience in County Meath was featured on Nationwide a couple of months back, they do hen parties, a great farm experience. Then you spend the night in the Headfort Arms hotel in Kells with Dinner and a nightclub.......

http://www.causeyexperience.com/_irishForADay/beIrishForADay.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 happybee

Paintballing would probably go down a treat with a group of lads.You could book into a hotel in the local area (I think the best paintball is in Wicklow apparently) which would mean a nice relaxing evening in the company of good friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Featherl

A night at the Dogs, brilliant craic! :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement