Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wedding on an island, or Las Vegas

Options
  • 04-01-2008 12:53pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,506 Mod ✭✭✭✭

We are planning to get get married in June 08, either on a nice island somewhere (think Seychelles, Mauritius, Jamaica, etc) or Las Vegas.

Can anyone recommend a location, or advice / warnings on the type of locations listed above?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Why an island? Purely out of curiosity. It seems like so much hassle arranging it all and getting people out for it. A honeymoon out there makes more sense to me.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,506 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Ideally it would just be us on the island for the wedding, hence no stress organising others to get out there. I picture my wedding as a stress free event, not crowd control for 500 people I only see once a decade.

Island would be peaceful, romantic and I can go snorkeling after a slice of cake.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

BossArky wrote: »
    Ideally it would just be us on the island for the wedding, hence no stress organising others to get out there. I picture my wedding as a stress free event, not crowd control for 500 people I only see once a decade.

Island would be peaceful, romantic and I can go snorkeling after a slice of cake.

That makes sense. The idea of dragging all the relatives out the Bahamas just struck me as an immense amount of pain and hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Oh sweet mary mother of black Jesus, not in Vegas.

I ve been there, great fun, great for a stag or hen even, but about as romantic as getting married knee high in ****e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 staby

Was at a wedding in Mauritius, though my mate was marrying a Mauritian Girl, so it was somewhat different.

On a tea plantation.

Amazing Island, though as its a 12 1/2 hour flight from London, it might be difficult for some folk.

More Honeymooners than people getting married there.

And not a place to bring singles, believe me.

Though, again, it was an amazing experience, and one off the best places for snorkeling, the best man forgot to bring his suit, though not his 27kgs worth off snorkeling gear over.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭ciano6

It depends on whether you want to bring some guests (even best man/bridesmaid as well).
    I live in St. Lucia in the West Indies, and while like most of the islands, it is more of a honeymoon destination than a wedding one, I do see weddings most days on the beach nearest my house.
    Hotels can arrange everything, and you just need to be here a few days before (I think five). If you go on to the St. Lucia Tourist Board website in London, you can request a brochure to be sent to you and it'll be in Ireland in a few days. I've done that before for family members.
    There are some incredible hotels here including the Windjammer, 3 Sandals resorts and a couple only resort called The Rendevous which is the one I see every day.
    Some (maybe most) of the other Caribbean Islands can offer the same thing eg. Grenada (we like), Jamaica, Barbados (not as much), Antigua. All have direct flights from London and you can also fly via the US which is great cos you get a free stopover in NY or Miami - combining island and city.
    The only thing about the Caribbean in June is you take a small but significant risk with the weather (rain/hurricane).
    Cian

• Registered Users Posts: 10,235 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

I'm getting Married in St Lucia in April. A party of 7 (possibly 8). Then heading to Las Vegas for honeymoon.

One week in Carribean, then a week on our own somewhere else.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,506 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Dodge wrote: »
    I'm getting Married in St Lucia in April. A party of 7 (possibly 8). Then heading to Las Vegas for honeymoon.

One week in Carribean, then a week on our own somewhere else.

Hey Dodge, was this much work to organise? How long did you start in advance? We are aiming for June, but just starting to organise stuff now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,235 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Well we planned it for a while but we just went into a travel agent (Tropical Places) and gave them the places we wanted to go, and after about an hour in there we were sorted. The legal stuff should be done about 4 months prior and we're starting to do that now (with Department of Foreign Affairs). We're not going for religious ceremony.

A week after we were in travel agents we got notification that everything was confirmed. In fairness we booked it about 2 months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

I got married in Las Vegas, well more specifically we got married at the bottom of the grand canyon but the whole lot was arranged from Vegas.

As mentioned above its not exactly romantic but we were heading off without family or anything and wanted something fun and different.

Great wedding photos too!
    http://www.chetandhanna.com/view/Classic.view/detail.php?name=wedding_070507010606&page=55

Romantic = Island
    Fun = Vegas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 curlie-wurliexx

Chet T16 wrote: »
    I got married in Las Vegas, well more specifically we got married at the bottom of the grand canyon but the whole lot was arranged from Vegas.

As mentioned above its not exactly romantic but we were heading off without family or anything and wanted something fun and different.

Great wedding photos too!
    http://www.chetandhanna.com/view/Classic.view/detail.php?name=wedding_070507010606&page=55

Romantic = Island
    Fun = Vegas

hi there i'm new but i found this while looking up info on getting married in vegas. your photos look amazing, did you find it easy to organise everything from vegas, was it by email or did you wait until you got over there? sorry about all the questions

When i said it was arranged from Vegas i meant that is where we were based. Everything was arranged from here months before we left.

It couldn't be easier to get married there, all you need to do is go to the marriage license office with ID and your completed form (here) You can then get married anywhere within Nevada

The wedding itself was done through Weddings Las Vegas (http://www.weddingslasvegas.com) which was simply a matter of ordering the package online

Feel free to ask any questions, i'm bound to have fretted over it before

• Registered Users Posts: 40 curlie-wurliexx

thanks very much for all that info, i think we just want to keep it simple so not sure if we will be going with a company like that one but thanks very much for the link!!!!! :)

No probs, have fun

Advertisement