Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oiling up the Tape Players out in Montrose.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭amlinopta

Colm O’Mongain promoted from The Late Debate to Drivetime, looks like an early Christmas for Cormac

• Registered Users Posts: 19,138 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Good call A, came from obscurity as Deppity Foreign Editor, to the Late Debate, to the Saturday gig and now to Drooivetoime as he says himself.

Huge improvement on that braying jackass who holds the position up to now.

Wonder who replaced him as ‘Deppity Foreign Editor’. ……..uhmmmmm….yeh.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭thejuggler

Derek Mooney back on radio 1 this afternoon with Santa. Probably a prerecord.

Often wonder what kind of a wedge Del Boy gets now.

Was well sinecured back in the day…….I guess we will never know.

A handy €5k per week or €268k annual salary at the peak of his powers. Just the one hour a week these days?

• Advertisement

We were told he left the 3pm-4:30pm show on Radio 1 to become RTEs "senior wildlife executive director" however we never heard of any new work he did with this makey up title, indeed he's been drafted a few times as a fill-in presenter on Lyric FM in recent times, probably because he has little else to be doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭leath_dub

One of the last of the staffers ( along with Blathnaid ni Cofaigh) - gets the same moolah no matter what his output is

At least they got a Stephen’s Day Mooney Goes Wild out of him. The cost of this lad’s hourly output based on his salary would make for interesting reading

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

I’m quite happy to pay the little fecker NOT to broadcast.

One of the two acolytes (one whom is infinitely politer than the other, under their varied sock puppets) will now chime in to remind us how great Del was/is.

Im afraid he wasn’t. I struggle to decide between himself and Arsey, as to who was worse. I actually think it was him rather than Porridge Man, at least Ray didn’t come with Braying Brenda and that absolute harridan Eanna.

• Advertisement

Leader in the ‘carrying the load’ so far. ….Lillian Smith

• Registered Users Posts: 10,707 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Spoke too soon there.

Today was her last appearance of the year.

She's done her bit over the season in fairness...by RTE standards that is.

Neil Doherty covering the 11.00-1.00 slot for the week, which Ronan would often have done. Ray Cuddihy on Late Date last night, has been shared out between a few of them.

Thats the point with the ‘so far’ P.

Lots more time to go ….Brenno Courtney on this morning interviewing all women……not one poor man if I recollect correctly.

Plenty of time to make a name for yourself while the ‘stars’ rest their weary bones down around Monkstown and Killiney

Neil Doherty on now, the off button going to get a dunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,538 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Courtney judging by the hour or so I heard was very 'woke' and seemed afraid to intervene when his guests just started waffling. Some comedian on and seemed like she was talking to herself.

Neil Doherty is an acquired taste - like listening to treacle! Is that how he is in real life or just his radio persona, tiresome after a short while.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,148 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Tommy Mescal is busy, doing the news on radio and TV all week by the look of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,010 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

To hear Neil go a show without an ABBA track and something from the soundtrack of a recent Hollywood musical would be RTÉ's version of Blooms crossing Dublin without passing a pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,538 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

The Boucher was on this morning and when yer man Doherty takes over, he says in all apparent sincerity that PBH would make a great DJ if wanted to move on from the current affairs stuff. You could almost hear Boucher saying in the background 'What a Twat'!! In fairness to Neil, he'd make a great target for the likes of Callan to take the piss out of.

What do guys like Doherty do for the rest of the year.

As bland as a Westmeath motorway.

• Advertisement

On the RTÉ gravy train since 2010 based on his Wikipedia page. Couple of hours Saturday Sounds music show after the sport, some of the time. And the radio commentator for Eurovision! May be a producer as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,329 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

This thread is unintentionally hilarious because it the usual boards.ie lineup of posters whining about nothing. With not much better to do.

Pre Records/stand ins are radio industry standard in either voluntary local, paid local or national level. Particularly at the holiday time of year. This thread should be retitled ‘yet another RTE boards.ie begrudgers thread.’

It reminds me of the tone of the begrudging whiners use when they go on about the teaching profession. June, July, August etc. But clueless to the work put in outside the classroom, background work etc.

But the truth is the begrudgers don’t want to try themselves. They just like a whining begrudgery from a safe distance. While contributing feck all themselves.

Maybe except for sneering comments with piss poor imitations of presenters and callers etc. A clique of oddballs who view such things as a fun ‘pass time’ or ‘crusade’. But the posts could be copied and pasted by most of the posters. Same guff rehashed.

I always wonder how many of the posters in such threads such as these have got involved in even local volunteer radio - or do you all just ‘talk’ a good game between the sneering posts?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,329 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

'Gamed?' Proves my point odd words like that sense of entitlement. If you hate RTE anyway don't listen - simple.

It seems most on boards and the radio forum in general only seem to listen to programmes to have a whinge - RTE in particular.

This is just another in a long line of threads dressed up in different clothes - this time RTE get too much holidays - especially at holiday time. But that is nothing new in the radio industry at all levels as I said. Many programmes have to be prepared in advance - or stand ins found. That is the way it works....pal....

And you realise that most in RTE work from contract to contract? How many would like to work like that with no job security?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

You jumped in here trying to stir things up and got it badly wrong.

Very few here “hate RTE” they just want value for money, given their position … a public service outfit financed by the state, most getting paid huge money for quite modest hourly input and standard.

You make assumptions based on nothing. How would you feel if for instance Air traffic Control decided to take two weeks off around the busiest travel time of the year?

You have taken a wrong turn coming in here trying to stir things.

I’m afraid you need to understand that high salaries in the public broadcasting industry, don’t necessarily mean putting your feet up at one of the busiest time of the year.

No job security! Don't make me laugh.

Yeah, the likes of independent contractors like Tubs and Duffy are really worried for their jobs. Tell me the last big name who got the heave-ho from Rte? Sure George Lee was able to walk out to try his hand at being a politician, and when he couldn't hack it, walked back into a job paying 200k. Where else would you get it. And the reason we should all be concerned at such goings on is because its our money that's running rte. You're being a fool to sit idly by while it's being wasted and say we should all just switch over.

The likes of Tubs and Duffy have been suckling off the rte/ licence payers teat for a generation, with never a danger of them being replaced. Look at the likes of Mooney and O'connor as well. 200k and 250k per year for doing next to nothing. One used to be a daily presenter but when dropped still picked up serious wages for doing god knows what. And Ballsy gets 250k for working a couple of hours each weekend, that's when he's not on holidays.

Spot on N.

Anyone who doesn’t find that set up questionable is only in here to rise things up, in my honest opinion.

Its quite reasonable to question why people in public service broadcasting,funded by the taxpayer, can put the ‘shop’ on auto over the Xmas period and not expect some pushback?

Not only that but every public holiday it will be the same, whilst pocketing north of €250k.

I’ll say this anyone who thinks that kind of ‘service’ is beyond reproach and considers those who highlight this as …well cranks has to be a bit challenged.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭StevenToast

I wouldnt engage with the NKM/Tubridy acolytes.....usual suspects....

This one Went off and started a Tubridy fan thread that went nowhere due to zero participation....subsequently closed!

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

Yeah, and as Steven says, that's even before you start asking questions about the link between rte and NK Management.

There's definitely questions to be answered there.

How rte always seem to pick the person who is on NKM books, rather than a neutral. Take that guy Coleman. You'd think he was the only child physiologist in Ireland. Or Eoin McGee, the only financial guru in the country.

Aonghus Cox rapidly rising as the ‘super sub’… Says in the papers….MI..various ‘backstage credits.

• Advertisement

I happen to enjoy RTÉ 1 radio in the main. And while I expect some adjustments this week, frankly more than a lot of them are absurd and take the mickey.

Last night for one; they make the effort with some some excellent programming (Sheila and Lilian, take a bow.) and Creedon. However, cue the midnight news and it's straight into a relay of Gold. As if the audience went and did a Cinderella on it!! And Likewise on Christmas Eve; can't be arsed getting in a Late Date so up with the fader and tune into Gold. Which incidentally didn't have Xmas music programmed; shame on you Aidan Leonard!

And there has been a few years in the past when 2FM hadn't any live shows on the 25th. Had they a licence (Or backbone in the BAI) then they'd be in for a caning.

Advertisement