Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why can't Americans learn foreign languages?

Options
  • 15-12-2007 1:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Would anyone be interested in discussing this topic?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

wtf?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Why can't n00barts create interesting threads?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

Unusual choice for a first post O.o

[edit]n00bart? Never heard that before, and I've seen loads of variations on n00b. What's it mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

What makes you think they can't? I've met quite a few who speak good Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 wjiraffales

Pardon me for my initial post.

I thought this was a serious board.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I have met yanks with a second language. Before we start discussing - back up your claim or are you just US bashing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I work with several Americans who speak very good German :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

OP has left the building :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I think you will find Americans are MORE likely to speak another language... especially Spanish. More to the point, they will pronounce it better and in the correct accent.. unlike when we try and speak something with our own accent and no effort.

My wife and her friend, both Americans did a Spanish course here and were the only two people who made the effort. They stopped going as they could not stand listening to the old men from Ballyfermot complain that it was too hard and give out to the teacher saying "Its like your speaking another language"
    Jaysus...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 wjiraffales

Well, maybe I gave up on this room too soon. It looks like there may be some potential for this topic.

I am new here, so I really don't know what kind of discussions go on, but I am looking for a place where language-learning issues are discussed in a fairly educated manner. If this is the place, then great. If it's not, I would appreciate advice on where such a place may exist.

I am a former university professor (of Spanish) in the U.S. I left the profession because I got fed up with the farse; at many universities in the U.S., language programs are a huge failure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

wjiraffales if you are from the US then you should know better than anyone how massive and diverse the country is... its bigger and more populated than all of Europe and while you do not have all the countries with different languages that we do, you have as many ethnic groups living together and speaking their home language. So much so that in places like California and Florida you almost have to know some spanish to get by.

Advertisement