Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gypsies

Options
  • 13-12-2007 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭

40 Gypsies died in a massive crash on the motorway and went to heaven. They turned up at the Pearly Gates and asked St Peter to let them in.
    He said that he didn't have room for all 40 of them. He only had room for 5, so they should go away and think about who would come in.

A short while later St Peter went to see God and said 'They've gone!'

God replied, 'What, the Pikeys?'

'No....... the F*cking gates !!!!'

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Not bad :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Aoife Nic L

I've never stolen anything since I was a young child. I was a virgin til I was in my 20s and only ever had one partner, my soon-to-be husband, I've never claimed welfare (though no problems with people who do claim it genuinely between jobs), I pay taxes from my own genuine, legal, registered-for-tax business, I'm paying my own way through college part time, I've never been arrested and never started a fight.

But since I'm from the Traveller community I must just be a thieving, slutty, lazy, welfare dependent pikey.

Have you any idea what it is like trying to live your whole life as a productive member of a society that didn't want you since before you were even born? When people who don't even know you assume you are inferior to the settled "decent" people? To be refused private rentals because landlords assume you are going to rip out their plumbing and sell it on? To always be followed around shops because your accent makes them assume you are going to steal stuff? To hear snide comments like you can take the knacker out of the caravan but you can't take the caravan out of the knacker?

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭pkvader

9 years ago lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,720 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

pkvader wrote: »
    9 years ago lol!

Haha it's like she thought to herself,
    "hey, I feel like getting offended by something"

*Google's something she might find offensive

And goes to the effort of registering on a website to leave a comment on how she was offended.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Aoife Nic L

Donkey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

Aoife, as a new member of Boards, you might not know that you can report posts that you think are offensive (and if I were in your shoes I would find this offensive as well). Most mods frown on "bashing" type posts if they are brought to their attention. Click the ! in a triangle sign at the bottom of the gray area to the left of the post.

Incidentally, I've been living in Ireland for two and a half years (I married an Irish guy and immigrated from America) and I am utterly incapable of seeing what the difference is between Irish people who are settled and Irish people who are Travellers; I mean, how people think they can tell the difference on sight. I would probably not be certain of your ethnicity even if I literally saw you step out of a caravan (after all, anyone can do that). As a secular American Jew I got the "born into a country that doesn't like you" in the "lite edition", but I can understand a small part of your frustration.

Also, refusing to hire, rent to, and socially include someone and then looking down their nose at them when they apply for social support and neglect to participate fully in the culture is, if I may be so bold as to say so, ridiculous on its face. I can never get an answer out of Irish people for why this is the case that doesn't amount to an American from Alabama saying, "Those n****** keep to themselves" etc. Just to be crystal clear, I think this situation is nuts, but I have been given to understand that my Yankee opinions aren't relevant or wanted. I don't voice them often in public offline.

Advertisement