Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your best and worst customer service experiences [rant & praise]

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

That reminds me, ordered from the local take away the other night, never came. So, won't be ordering from them again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

FAI - biggest bunch of wasters.

PC World - shafted me on laptop repairs.

Apple - Jobs is a smug bastard.

The S*n - assholes.

i refuse to do my shopping or buy alcohol anywhere in ireland. from dundalk its a 15 min drive up to sainsburys in newry where i find my weekly shop is literally half of what t costs here. there are weekly special offers on booze, a few weeks back they were selling 24 can slabs of carlsberg for stg£10 and you can get decent bottles of wine starting at st£3. im off for another stock up tomorrow and IRISH ECONOMY BE DAMNED:D

i refuse to do my shopping or buy alcohol anywhere in ireland. from dundalk its a 15 min drive up to sainsburys in newry where i find my weekly shop is literally half of what t costs here. there are weekly special offers on booze, a few weeks back they were selling 24 can slabs of carlsberg for stg£10 and you can get decent bottles of wine starting at st£3. im off for another stock up tomorrow and IRISH ECONOMY BE DAMNED:D
    That seems rather over priced. Come to my house and i'll piss in your glass for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭SparKing

Burger King, McDonalds isn't exactly gourmet cuisine but it's ten times better than Burger King, I have sworn a blood oath never to eat it again.

• Advertisement

SparKing wrote: »
    Burger King, McDonalds isn't exactly gourmet cuisine but it's ten times better than Burger King, I have sworn a blood oath never to eat it again.
    Burger King beats the piss out of McDonalds!!

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Burial

I keep saying I'll go on a diet and never do. Does that count?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

I love Sainsburys too-isn't it deadly?! We always stock up on beer and wine in it.Did a grand big grocery shop in it last week, far cheaper than down here. Might start doing our weekly shopping in it all the time now or even just every two weeks so we'll only have to get a small trolleyload in Dunnes:)

• Registered Users Posts: 24 THE S33K3R

PC World- for trying to shaft me on the price of a camera that did not work in the '04 January sale and then refusing a refund saying a credit note is all i was entitled to.

The FAI - for selling out to Sky a few years back , and for what ? a measly seven million quid. The buzz about Irish campaigns has never been the same since.

SEAT dealerships of Dublin - Unable to fix my car but have no problem charging 70euro an hour labour.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

AIB and Bank of Ireland - horrible people with horrendous customer service. it took me months to close my Bank of Ireland account, they refused to give my new bank my details.

when i went in to complain they literally throw the forms at me

Oh the restuarant around the corner from work, they wouldnt let us push two tables together and then told us they didnt need our custom. they lost 250 customers from my building

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

No where. I buy what I like and use the services I like.

I don't"boycott" anything actively, I might just prefer the alternative. I refuse to cost myself money or put myself out because some employee of a big company wasn't nice to me once. I'm not needy, I don't need random peoples love all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I don't boycott whole companies just the individual shops.

Like GAME on Henry st. Bought my niece a DS for christmas. Brought it home and noticed the screen resolution was weird and there was a dead pixel.

Brought it back the next day and was told its grand. I had one myself so told them i wasn't accepting it. The security guard was even trying to tell me it was okay.

Used Dawson street GAME till the ilac's GAME opened. Never had any problems with them as a company since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Burger King/KFC etc - Hate all that processed food crap. I dont trust the meat from those places either.

Eircom - Cold calling, overcharging, incompetent idiots

Dunnes Stores - Almost gone-off food on the shelves, and doing their utmost to keep other supermarkets out of Kilkenny

Hibernian Insurance - Sending jobs to India

Irish Ferries - Not so "Irish"

Dell - Worst customer service ever! My Dell laptop was a piece of sh!t also. When I tried to order parts for it, the guy in India said my laptop didnt exist.

Quinn Insurance - My renewal quote was higher than the quote I got online through the site

Pizza Hut in Carlow - Rude staff and very very very slow service

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

:eek:
    Are you sure it's the products/services are at fault? Perhaps you're just an awkward customer?!

Thats what I was thinking. I usually only have problems when I am in a bad mood. Used to work in Tech Support, so try to be as polite as possible when dealing with shops/serivces and products, and find I get along better. If I am not happy with something, I politely complain. Alot of people don't seem to be able to complain and still remain polite at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Monsoon - I was in the Dundrum branch of Monsoon looking around and noticed on the price tag they have 2 currencies, British pound and Euro. One particular jacket I noticed was £200. However Monsoon must have their own special exchange rate because they where charging €310 for it. Now the actual conversion rate is £200 = €256.50, so thats a mark up of €53.50 (about 20%) for the Irish (and there where similar mark ups all over the shop). I don't know why anyone would buy from a shop that doesn't even try to hide the fact its ripping you off.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Burial

Never shopping in GAME again. Horrible people. I bought Grand Theft Auto IV on the day it came out and it was sratched. Went in that day with the receipt and told them. They told me it wasn't their problem and that I had to contact Rockstar to get a replacement.

I asked could I complain to the manager about my rights being violated. They proceed to ring customer care and wouldn't let me talk and said my complaint was noted. I asked them again to see the manager and the guy told me, he was the manager, despite working behind the counter. I proceed to tell them why they were refusing to take my game back, and he said it'd cost money to send it to rockstar to fix, which I told him I'd pay and he said, no, it'd be too much work for him. Then he offered to fix my disc with those scratch-cleaner things for a fiver. I politely told him to go **** himself and that my business was going elsewhere. I've complained to the actual manager about this and no action was taken. The guy wasn't even warned. Such BS. GAME can go f*ck themselves if they ever think there getting my money again...

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Ruu wrote: »
    Quality post. Reminds me of Father Ted with the acceptance speech for the Golden Cleric. :D

- "Where are you NOW, Father John Arundel, while I'm here receiving an award for being a really GREAT priest!"

Personaly I think a good chunk of it (his post) is stupid.

NTL for a start, whatever about disliking them for current issues, avoiding them because of the actions of people that owned the company 2 or 3 owners ago is pointless. It's akin to not going to England because of the whol e"800 years" crap.

Wont use takaways that dont let you see the food being made but restaurants are grand?:rolleyes:

He wont baptise his kids ( I dislike religons myself btw and take no part in any of them) because of the catholic church but boycotts a company because, in the past they discriminated against catholics.

Monsoon - I was in the Dundrum branch of Monsoon looking around and noticed on the price tag they have 2 currencies, British pound and Euro. One particular jacket I noticed was £200. However Monsoon must have their own special exchange rate because they where charging €310 for it. Now the actual conversion rate is £200 = €256.50, so thats a mark up of €53.50 (about 20%) for the Irish (and there where similar mark ups all over the shop). I don't know why anyone would buy from a shop that doesn't even try to hide the fact its ripping you off.

So if companies dont hide the fact they charge different amounts in different countries they should be boycotted, but if they do hide them they are fine? Clue: all companies that operate in different countries do that.

Dont go to the uk to get things cheaper btw, the can be got for a fraction of the cost in India. RIP OFF UK!!!!!!!!eleven!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111
    Nightwish wrote: »
    Quinn Insurance - My renewal quote was higher than the quote I got online through the site

You going to run out of insurance companies in a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

The whole Sterling to Euro/Irish Punt markup is not always about ripping you off or making obscene profits. In many cases, there are additional running costs or transport costs with selling in Ireland. That particular markup does seem excessive in fairness.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Stekelly wrote: »
    He wont baptise his kids ( I dislike religons myself btw and take no part in any of them) because of the catholic church but boycotts a company because, in the past they discriminated against catholics.

Boycotting religion because of the actions of the church doesn't mean that the people that follow that religion deserve to be discriminated against.

Agree with you about the upc part.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

EcoGirl wrote: »
    We dumped SKY too. I really resented giving them my money anyway, but the last straw was when they showed graphic trailers for murder programmes during the ads for innocuous programmes which my 10 year old was watching - and a) it was almost impossible to find somebody to contact to speak to about it and b) they didn't care when I did get to talk to somebody.

They said things like: It was after the 9.00 watershed. My argument: 1) We were watching the +1 station and it was after 9.00, but the programme was originally shown at 8.00, 2) The watershed means that parents have to judge whether a programme is suitable, and the programme we were watching WAS suitable, but I as the parent had no chance to make a judgement on those ads, and 3) I didn't want to see these images either even though I'm an adult.

BTW we were watching the documentary channel and these programmes were going to be on the crime channel.

Another argument they came back with was that these trailers (and indeed the programmes) were just reconstructions, not the real thing. Like, Duh! I didn't exactly think they were snuff movies! But just as everything in the cinema is fiction doesn't mean we don't have age ratings.

Anyway, they wouldn't/couldn't help me, I cancelled and they suddenly started courting me again with offers to rejoin. But of course these offers have no contact e-mail on them so you can't get back to say why you won't be rejoining. And they have no phone numbers either except for the sign-up one.

So they'll never know, and yes, I know they probably won't care. But I'm definitely voting with my feet on that.

Should we all suffer and see adds for nintendo wiis even after 9pm?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Jeapy

McDonalds (or at least one particular Dublin city one) due to an incident with finding a pubic hair (or and underarm hair- couldnt really tell but equally disgusting either way) in my food and being offered 1 euro back by way of apology.

Nike and Mattel for child labour reasons and for the fact their bosses make millions every year with mark ups of hundreds of %.

H&M, New Look, Topshop, River Island, Monsoon etc etc until they acknowledge the fact that sterling is weak and we're being ripped off. Doing my Christmas shopping in Belfast ftw!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Basically, I've been boycotting the whole of the ROI, .

Nowadays I get everything from either Newry/Belfast or UK/US mail order, whether it be groceries, drink, fags, hi-fi equipment, clothes, you name it.

The only things I've been buying down here recently have been the utmost essentials (such as bread, milk, eggs) and I've been purchasing those in LIDL/ALDI.

To those who bemoan PC World et al, I'm really sorry, but you should have supported your local electrical shop way back when and not bought into the Wal-Martisation philosophy that says cheaper is always better.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,463 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I bought petrol in Shell before. Handed my card in. 'sorry your card doesnt swipe'...me:'erm, it worked fine 5 minutes ago. Can you try again please?'...'it didnt work so Im not trying again'...me:'no problem. Best get yourself a straw so, as I cant pay for the petrol, and you'll need to get it out'...'oh your card is working now'. Cnut

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

TBH, I hate shopping. I know too much about who tests on animals, what happens to battery chickens, what's in most big-brand cleaning products, etc. Www.ethicalconsumer.org is the work of the devil.

Ignorance is bliss

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

I will not pay for sex or still water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

The work canteen. I refuse to eat their **** no more.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    I refuse to eat their **** no more.
    So you're going to eat their shít?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Pizza Hut for giving my child milk in a dirty glass, then replacing it with dirty milk in a glass :eek:

Dunnes Stores for rude unhelpful staff

Rody Bolands for rudeness and bad bad service

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

snyper wrote: »
    I will not pay for sex or still water.

One way or another, we all pay for sex.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

nipplenuts wrote: »
    One way or another, we all pay for sex.

:D

I was thinking that as i typed it.