Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Foaly Was Here.scr"

Options
  • 04-12-2007 12:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

Hope I'm in the right place here- sorry if I'm not:confused:

We have AVG (we keep it updated and it seems to work fine)
    Once or twice a week we find viruses when we scan the computer, most was 11. All file paths were recognisable apart from this one-Foaly Was Here- Googled it and it's a character from a kids book so I think it may have been a picture that one of the kids were messin with. Anyway, it keeps turning up in AVG virus scan results. I move it to vault then empty vault.
    Now, I've just come across it again so I had a look to see where on the computer it actually is. It's on my hard drive ("C:\WINDOWS\Foaly Was Here.scr") and also on start-up menu under "All Programs"
    When I try to uninstall it tells me that it's a .dat file and I need to identify where it came from first, I don't want to mess any further with it because I don't really know what I'm doing.
    Any ideas ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭kaiser sauze

hi-fi wrote: »
    Hope I'm in the right place here- sorry if I'm not:confused:

We have AVG (we keep it updated and it seems to work fine)
    Once or twice a week we find viruses when we scan the computer, most was 11. All file paths were recognisable apart from this one-Foaly Was Here- Googled it and it's a character from a kids book so I think it may have been a picture that one of the kids were messin with. Anyway, it keeps turning up in AVG virus scan results. I move it to vault then empty vault.
    Now, I've just come across it again so I had a look to see where on the computer it actually is. It's on my hard drive ("C:\WINDOWS\Foaly Was Here.scr") and also on start-up menu under "All Programs"
    When I try to uninstall it tells me that it's a .dat file and I need to identify where it came from first, I don't want to mess any further with it because I don't really know what I'm doing.
    Any ideas ??

It might be a good idea to start a new thread in this forum. ;)

In that thread post a 'HijackThis log'. The software is available from TrendMicro. Make sure you install the software onto your machine before you run the scan. Once installed, click on scan and save a log file and post that up here. [on the new thread]

The virus you have is in your registry and AVG is obviously not deleting the key properly. It is set to reinstall each time you reboot, after your AVG removes it!

It might be an idea to check your add/remove list and see if anything resembling the term 'foaly was here' is listed on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Split into its own thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 hi-fi

It might be a good idea to start a new thread in this forum. ;)

In that thread post a 'HijackThis log'. The software is available from TrendMicro. Make sure you install the software onto your machine before you run the scan. Once installed, click on scan and save a log file and post that up here. [on the new thread]

The virus you have is in your registry and AVG is obviously not deleting the key properly. It is set to reinstall each time you reboot, after your AVG removes it!

It might be an idea to check your add/remove list and see if anything resembling the term 'foaly was here' is listed on it.

Sorry, I know I'm probably computer illiterate but what does all this mean ?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 hi-fi

:confused:
    Split into its own thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

He just meant that this thread was created off another one. Unrelated to your problem.

An scr file is a screensaver file. Boot into safe mode and run avg? Also, I'm not sure if avg has the option, but avast does, to run a boot scan. Don't forget to give Spybot a run too. Maybe something like this might help.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭ActorSeeksJob

Do this

Download WinPFind3u.exe to your Desktop and double-click on it to extract the files. It will create a folder named WinPFind3u on your desktop.
    • Close ALL OTHER PROGRAMS.
    • Open the WinPFind3u folder and double-click on WinPFind3U.exe to start the program.
    • Under Additional Scans, check Reg - BotCheck and Reg - MSConfig
    • Now click the Run Scan button on the toolbar.
    • Let it run unhindered until it finishes.
    • When the scan is complete Notepad will open with the report file loaded in it.
    • Click the Format menu and make sure that Wordwrap is not checked. If it is then click on it to uncheck it.
    Use the Add Reply button and attach the information back here. I will review it when it comes in. If, after posting, the last line is not < End of Report > then the log is too big to fit into a single post and you will need to split it into multiple posts.

Make sure you attach the report.

Advertisement