Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adware/Spyware

Options
  • 03-12-2007 7:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭

Yesterday an icon appeared on the bottom right toolbar of my pc saying:

"A new XBox 360 has been detected. Click here to connect it to this computer".

I knew something was wrong so I ran a scan on AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5 and it detected 37 corrupted files. My problem now is erasing these files. I cant locate them on my hard drive.

Does anybody know of any free software that will sort this out??
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭whassupp2

cheers. i appreciate it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭ActorSeeksJob

Download WinPFind3u.exe to your Desktop and double-click on it to extract the files. It will create a folder named WinPFind3u on your desktop.
    • Close ALL OTHER PROGRAMS.
    • Open the WinPFind3u folder and double-click on WinPFind3U.exe to start the program.
    • Under Additional Scans, check Reg - BotCheck and Reg - MSConfig
    • Now click the Run Scan button on the toolbar.
    • Let it run unhindered until it finishes.
    • When the scan is complete Notepad will open with the report file loaded in it.
    • Click the Format menu and make sure that Wordwrap is not checked. If it is then click on it to uncheck it.
    Use the Add Reply button and attach the information back here. I will review it when it comes in. If, after posting, the last line is not < End of Report > then the log is too big to fit into a single post and you will need to split it into multiple posts.

Make sure you attach the report.

I dowloaded and ran Spybot-search and destroy. It cleaned the system.
    Just to make sure i ran AVG again and found that there are still 11 traces. I am currently following ActorSeeksJob's instructios and will post report when scan is complete.

Thanks for the help

As requested. Thanks again ActorSeeksJob

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭ActorSeeksJob

Start WinPFind3U. Copy/Paste the information in the quotebox below into the pane where it says "Paste fix here" and then click the Run Fix button.
    [Kill Explorer]
    [Win32 Services - Non-Microsoft Only]
    YY -> (0026801196548157mcinstcleanup) McAfee Application Installer Cleanup (0026801196548157) [Win32_Own | Auto | Stopped] -> %SystemRoot%\TEMP\002680~1.EXE C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\McAfee\INSTAL~1\cleanup.ini
    [Registry - Non-Microsoft Only]
    < SharedTaskScheduler [HKLM] > -> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\SharedTaskScheduler
    YN -> {fa19bd7e-50bc-4203-80ac-c4edc81ca9a3} [HKLM] -> %System32%\nbbrhbd.dll [hirtellous]
    < BHO's > -> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects\
    YN -> {7E853D72-626A-48EC-A868-BA8D5E23E045} [HKLM] -> Reg Data - Key not found [Reg Data - Key not found]
    < Internet Explorer Extensions [HKLM] > -> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Extensions\
    YN -> {219C3416-8CB2-491a-A3C7-D9FCDDC9D600} -> Reg Data - Value does not exist [ButtonText: Blog This]
    YN -> {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} -> Reg Data - Value does not exist [ButtonText: Research]
    YN -> {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} [HKLM] -> Reg Data - Key not found [MenuText: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001]
    < Internet Explorer Menu Extensions [HKCU] > -> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\MenuExt\
    YN -> &Windows Live Search -> %ProgramFiles%\Windows Live Toolbar\msntb.dll\search.htm
    [Empty Temp Folders]
    [Start Explorer]
    [Reboot]

The fix should only take a very short time. When the fix is completed a message box will popup telling you that it is finished. Click the Ok button and Notepad will open with a log of actions taken during the fix. Post that information back here along with a new WinPFind3u scan(attach the WinPFind3 scan report).

I will review the information when it comes back in.

Advertisement