Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

computer getting slow

Options
  • 01-12-2007 6:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Hi my 6month old computer is getting slow. what can i do to speed it up. I have removed norton and replaced with avg as I was told this might help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Shamrogue

>Remove any unused programs you installed but dont need. Control panel - add/remove programs
    >Run - msconfig - startup - untick programs that are running on start up which you dont need. Realplayer, MSmessenger etc.
    >Disk defrag myt sort out some stuff too. Windows has one in Start - program files - accessories - System tools - disk defragment, or avg will probably have one, im not sure

If thats not helping, formating and starting from scratch always works a charm

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Shamrogue

Oh and it wouldn't be any harm doing a full system scan for viruses. Ad-aware is a good one as far as i can remember. Your anti-virus should have one also.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Shad0w

Hi,

What OS are you running XP or VISTA?

Alos how much RAM have you got... It may be that you could do with a Hardware upgrade!

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭matrixroyal

I had a 4 month old system with 2gb RAM running vista. I don't really use any programs that are demanding but the pc was always hanging or crashing and could not do a copy and paste at all ( could not remember anything in the clipboard ). I upgraded to 4gb of Ram last week and it seems to have done the trick.

Depending on your current ram, maybe an upgrade with help you as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Good_Crow

its XP with 1gb of ram (more than enough I would have thought). I will try the above suggestions. thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

When is it slow? All the time, only during boot?
    Also define slow... are we talking a few seconds delay changing between windows or taking a minute or more to open word?

You can try searching for XP performance tweaks... you should find some batch files that disable useless services for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Remove some of the unused Windows Apps as well; should be an option in Add/Remove programs dialog.

Could be the remains of Norton on your system too.

Like someone said, a clean install might be the best bet, be amazed just how quick it will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BrendanD

Download cccleaner and run it http://www.ccleaner.com/download
    its free and its good

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

Hey there,

Download Ad-aware and it shall sort out your pc that has slowed down by removing all that malicious spy ware that isn't picked up by avg or mcafee or Norton...But beware that when using ad-aware it will pick up infections in the registry and system 32 files so if it does please do be careful not to delete the viruses rather heal them instead because i had viruses in the registries and system 32 files and i foolishly removed them and it resulted in me loosing my taskbar and most of my start-up menu and the end result was me having to system restore my laptop back two days.:(

Also what ISP are you using, if you're using Mozilla Firefox then configure it in the tools---> options menu to delete the temporary files and cached cookies after every session.

Also disk fragmentation is a must to keep a computer up to speed as it will organize all your files in a logical order again thus enhancing windows transition times.

Oh and also a disk cleanup would not be a bad idea.Plus if you're not using some programs that are installed on the pc, e.g games,etc then uninstall them in the add/remove hardware section in the control panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

BrendanD wrote: »
    Download cccleaner and run it http://www.ccleaner.com/download
    its free and its good
    +1

• Advertisement
Advertisement