Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anyone heard the motion of the ocean....

Options
  • 01-12-2007 4:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭

........tonight? I'm not even that close to the Atlantic but by god it sounds very angry tonight, dying to see if these 14M waves they've predicted actually happen tomorrow! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

have heard it could get quite rough today, 45f waves i heard have nave been predicted, the waves can be impressive at the straind the best of times, was considering headng down there to see the specticle, but thinking where the safest could be, propbably no way near it

just back, quite rough down there, sorry, no pics

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭genie

Surely Strandhill would be safe enough? Anyone near there with a camera? :)

genie wrote: »
    Surely Strandhill would be safe enough? Anyone near there with a camera? :)

around the car park might not have been to bad, there was spray coming into it at times, although the tide was on the turn when i got there,

loads had cameras, had mine, but couldn't get the impresive shots with a small compact, some great waves and spray as i was leaving, could have stayed and got a few shots then but the wind and rain had got a bit much for me at that point

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

I've seen stones the size of oranges thrown as far as the phone box in the big car park. Strandhill can be all that bad.

• Advertisement

il gatto wrote: »
    I've seen stones the size of oranges thrown as far as the phone box in the big car park. Strandhill can be all that bad.

i didn't stay to long, was rough enough when i was there, not sure i'd liked to be there when the tide was coming in

did see alot of people walking along the path away from the carpark in front of the dunes, not the safest place to be i would have thought on a day like this,

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭genie

il gatto wrote: »

Blimey, not Strandhill, then. :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

Re the swell. There wasnt surfers out as well then? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

From the safety of your own home, feet up in front of the fire.

Lahinch Surf Webcam http://www.oceanscene.ie/blog/?cat=2

tuppence wrote: »
    Re the swell. There wasnt surfers out as well then? :eek:

seen no surfers my self, would have to be mad, far to rough out there, giving it worse for today (sunday)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

I ventured down with camera, 300mm lens and tripod in tow, but no surfers were out. Alot of them are actually not all that good at it, so I suppose it was a good call by them. I still thought some of the more expirienced ones would have taken the chance to surf the big waves though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

It would be a real treat to watch if there were some professionals out there. Mind its still great to watch the ocean in wild weather anyway. Come to think of it Lough Gill is great too:)

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Sligored

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭l3LoWnA

Went out there about 2pm on Saturday! Nothing major goign on. Surfers would have had to be crazy and/or extremely professional to go out in it. Would have loved to have stayed (in my car) and watched the ocean for ages - it looked so powerful and angry - but had way too many things to do. Just as I arrived (little camera in hand) the thunder started roaring and the rain lashed me out of it. So I went home, tail between my legs and not even a decent photo :(

48328.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

I can hear the noise of the sea in Strandhill at night from Oakfield. Very powerful stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭daveboy01

There was a great photo on the front of today's Irish Times - taken at Mullaghmore Co.Sligo - says the wave was 8 times the surfers height so must've have been 40 - 50 foot:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Jebus! Its like an old spice ad!

Advertisement