Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does XP SP2 result in slowing down computer?

Options
  • 30-11-2007 7:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭

I had a Dell Inspiron 8600 and was running extremely slowly, thought it may be viral and ran various virus scanners, adaware spy ware removals etcetra. Had no joy, my lap top imitated Dublin Bus at rush hour. In the end I reinstalled Windows XP on the lap top. It ran very well but whenever windows update installed XPS2 the computer slowed down dramatically. Is this a common problem, in the end followed the hype and changed to a mac, which I'm happy with but is this a problem anyone ever came across before? Would like to get windows laptop up and running again

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭ActorSeeksJob

Well XP SP2 needs at least 120mb of ram to run properly, so if you have that or less, then that may be the case for your PC being slow. SP1 needed less RAM to run, so thats why you may notice a difference.

However if you have at least 256mb of ram, then there must be something else responsible.

Installing SP2 can fragment the drive fairly heavily. Defragment the disk and you should see an improvement. But the best way by far is to install XP using a CD with SP2 built in.

Advertisement