Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marriage Proposal Ideas

Options
  • 22-11-2007 11:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi folks. Just wanted to get a few ideas from all the "experts" on here. Planning on proposing to my girlfriend next month but wanted some opinions on ideas. I know she wouldn't like to go abroad because she's always said she'd rather be near home for something like this (and probably because she wants to pick the ring herself and pick something outrageously expensive:eek:) Anyhoo I was thinking of either bringing her to the Four Seasons in Ballsbridge and to Shanahans for a meal that night or else down to the new Ritz Carlton in Powerscourt to stay there for the night and bring her to a few jewellers in Dublin the next day. What I wondered was (a) what people thought of either of those ideas (b) any other suggestions? and (c) when's the best time to actually propose?? I'd prefer to do it before an expensive dinner as I wouldn't enjoy the dinner from nerves etc.Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭sillysocks

The Ritz Carlton sounds lovely..... one idea might be to book a suite there for the night (looks like they're around 280 mid week, bit more at weekends), and because they have a separate living/dining area you could arrange to have a room service romantic dinner.
    You could maybe send her off to the spa under the pretence of a 'treat' and then arrange to have the room with candles or flowers or something when she comes back!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Mrs_Doyle

I dunno if I would even bother with the meal if I was you. You could cook her a lovely meal at home and pop the question there, or hang on till Christmas and propose then. Might sound a bit cliched but I'm a traditionalist at heart, and I'm all for Christmas/birthday etc proposals.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Countryripple

I personally would steer clear of the christmas/birthday ideas. I much rather the idea of something like the suite nice hotel. or maybe do one of those romantic weekends in a secluded gate lodge or lighthouse or something and prepare dinner for her yourself etc.

Fair play to you that you are looking to do something special for it. The fact that you are planning it at all will score you great points!!!

Good luck!! Let us know how you do!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Mrs_Doyle

Fair play to you that you are looking to do something special for it. The fact that you are planning it at all will score you great points!!!
    He's about to propose ffs, how many more brownie points does the guy need to score???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Cowboy79

Thanks for all the advice folks. Have gone with the Ritz Carlton idea. I cook most of the time so cooking a meal for her would unfortunately not be seen as anything special! Will let ye know how I get on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭kizzyr

Mrs_Doyle wrote: »
    He's about to propose ffs, how many more brownie points does the guy need to score???

Depends on what the girl is into really. If my OH proposed to me at Christmas/ New Year/Valentines Day/in Paris/on my birthday I'd be really really annoyed. I know many people think these are really romantic times and places but personally I think they are cheesy, predictable and involve very little imagination or thought of something personal for the woman involved.
    Proposing and proposing well for YOU is the way to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭kizzyr

Cowboy79 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the advice folks. Have gone with the Ritz Carlton idea. I cook most of the time so cooking a meal for her would unfortunately not be seen as anything special! Will let ye know how I get on.

I think your idea was really good. Best of luck with it all:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 greengreen77

Hi there - was on the bbc Northern Ireland web this morning and have spotted that they are filming an engagement proposal series. Franc the planner from brides of franc is offering his services to help people devise the perfect marriage proposal to wow their partners. It sounds like it could be fun - info@powerpictures.ie is the contact address they give. Best of luck with however you decide to pop the question.

Advertisement