Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AVG VIRUS RESULTS- Can i get some info this result!

Options
  • 21-11-2007 5:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭

Hi all, i decided to run a scan today with AVG as i havent done it in a few weeks .

But noticed this alarming result, well i think it is, but im no expert on this & would need some advice on this & is it possible to find out what installed on my pc like backtracking it?

Also how long should you leave trojan horses in your Virus Vault?

Thanks for any advice given to this matter.

Pic provided below:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭white_falcon

Heres some info on what they both are:

http://www.f-secure.com/v-descs/dnschang.shtml - First one

http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/T/Trojan_horse.htm - Second one

Delete them both straight away, and keep AVG running in the background - have a look at the sticky - get some free anti-spyware programs and windows defender for ur PC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭white_falcon

the virus vault will usually stop viruses from working as they have been moved to a secure area. however, i delete them straight away if i ever get any.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭ActorSeeksJob

They are nothing to worry about, do this and it will get rid of them

To reset your restore points, please note that you will need to log into your computer with an account which has full administrator access. You will know if the account has administrator access because you will be able to see the System Restore tab. If the tab is missing, you are logged in under a limited account.

(Windows XP)
    1. Turn off System Restore.
    On the Desktop, right-click My Computer.
    Click Properties.
    Click the System Restore tab.
    Check Turn off System Restore.
    Click Apply, and then click OK.

2. Reboot.

3. Turn ON System Restore.
    Click Properties.
    UN-Check *Turn off System Restore*.

How to Turn On and Turn Off System Restore in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310405

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭standbyme

To reset your restore points, please note that you will need to log into your computer with an account which has full administrator access. You will know if the account has administrator access because you will be able to see the System Restore tab. If the tab is missing, you are logged in under a limited account.

(Windows XP)
    1. Turn off System Restore.
    Click Properties.
    Check Turn off System Restore.

2. Reboot.

3. Turn ON System Restore.
    Click Properties.
    UN-Check *Turn off System Restore*.

How to Turn On and Turn Off System Restore in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310405

Is that similar to the system restore that Spybot S&D has?

I just deleted the files as i hadnt got one's like that before! & a while since i got any result & when that dialog flashes across your screen sayin YOU HAVE 2 VIRUSES, you kinda freak out & instantly forget AVG kicks in for you, but should i still use the system restore?

This is my hardware:

AVG version 7.5.430 and virus db version 268.14.6/535
    AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5
    Ad-Aware SE Personal
    Spybot-S&D
    ZoneAlarm version:6.5.737.000
    Spyware Blaster v3.51
    Spyware Guard

Thanks again for the advice!

I'm not familiar with Spybot, so can't say for sure if they are similar. I would recommend doing my steps anyway to be safe. You just want to clean out your old system restore points, that will make a new one and stop you getting those AVG warnings.

• Advertisement

Ok will do that ASAP.

Spybot has a scan as well & at the end it asks you to 'Fix these problems' & it creates a system restore point, but dont use it as much as it brings up different results than AVG & too confusing, so i stick with the one scan :)

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Shad0w

Just as a Matter of interest, Did you disable System Restore before you ran the Anti-Virus????

If not the Virus may be help in your System Restor, AVG will not be able to remove the infected files from here if your system restore is Enabled.

Disable System Restore and then do a Scan, Hopefully the infected files will be removed......

Enable your System restore again once finished.

Shad0w wrote: »
    Just as a Matter of interest, Did you disable System Restore before you ran the Anti-Virus????

I've only come across System Restore when i used Spybot's scan, so no i havent.
    If not the Virus may be help? in your System Restor, AVG will not be able to remove the infected files from here if your system restore is Enabled.

Disable System Restore and then do a Scan, Hopefully the infected files will be removed......

Enable your System restore again once finished.

I deleted the files & their not there anymore, as that pic was shown before they were deleted, as i wanted info on it as i'd not seen them before & was worried the DNS was harmful.

If thats what you're meanin to get rid of the files?

Sorry, I meant Held in your system Restore, My typing isn't waht it used to be....

If you have deleted the files and they are not there on a Rescan then you should be OK....

But if you are running XP then you should Disable your System Restore before you run your Anti-Virus.

You can do this by going to .... Start/Programs/Accessories/System Tools/System Restore

Uncheck the "System Restoring is Monitoring Windows"

And Reboot.

Do the same to turn it back on again. ;)

Heh, thats ok, as i thought maybe it was subliminal & only myself could see it :D

I didnt know that about System Restore before a scan! :( as i am running XP.

It seems there are more than one way to get to System Restore,
    but i didnt see this:
    You can do this by going to .... Start/Programs/Accessories/System Tools/System Restore

Uncheck the "System Restoring is Monitoring Windows"

only, Restore my computer to an earlier time (checked)
    Create a restore point.

But there is System Restore settings link which brings up the dialog box for - Start/Programs/Accessories/System Tools/System Restore

But i'll do that tomoro & uncheck System Restore & report back tomoro. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

standbyme wrote: »

This is my hardware:

AVG version 7.5.430 and virus db version 268.14.6/535
    AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5
    Ad-Aware SE Personal
    Spybot-S&D
    ZoneAlarm version:6.5.737.000
    Spyware Blaster v3.51
    Spyware Guard

Is it not a bad idea to be running all of those together? I can only imagine the conflicts, especially considering most of them run in the background by default. And if you deactivate them, it defeats the purpose of continuous protection.

Oh, and they're software ;) - hardware is the bits of metal that make up your PC.

sdonn_1 wrote: »
    Is it not a bad idea to be running all of those together? I can only imagine the conflicts, especially considering most of them run in the background by default. And if you deactivate them, it defeats the purpose of continuous protection.

Oh, and they're software ;)

The hardware -> I only mean that as a term of reference :D

Nah i dont have all of them, as i had that typed in a textfile, saves me typin it out countless times, whenever i have to detail my pc specs ;)

You're kinda right there.... If it was me, I would just keep the AVG Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware. Maybe Zone-Alarm as I don't think this would conflict with the AVG Stuff. I would definetely remove Spybot, Spyware Blaster and Guard and only install these again if I found a Spyware that AVG did not remove....

It's not just that they may be conflicting but they are probably starting up with your Operating system, which can lead to slowness or performance issues.

:D Sorry, we seem to be posting at the same time :D

Shadow, the OP doesn't have to have AVG or any program remove the System Restore points when he scans them. If he flushes the old restore points like I said, and then makes a new one, the malware in the system restore folder will be gone. No scans are needed.
    Is it not a bad idea to be running all of those together? I can only imagine the conflicts, especially considering most of them run in the background by default.
    There are no actual conflicts between the programs, as long as he isn't using the paid version of AVG anti-spyware and Ad-Aware. Otherwise those programs are perfectly ok.
    I would definetely remove Spybot, Spyware Blaster and Guard and only install these again if I found a Spyware that AVG did not remove
    I would agree about Spybot, however SpywareBlaster and SpywareGuard definitely should not be removed. They are both excellent programs, the best out of the ones you have, and provide a totally different function than Spybot or AVG. The whole point of these programs is to make sure he doesn't get infected, so if you remove them then you will be leaving your PC vulnerable. There is no need to only download them when infected as they are real-time protection programs only, and will not remove any spyware.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

There is no indication how long those viruses are there, so the last restore point might be just as infected as it is now.

Id suggest a clean (with a decent AV, such as NOD32) first before resorting to a restore.

There is no indication how long those viruses are there, so the last restore point might be just as infected as it is now.
    I think there seems to be a misunderstanding here. I don't think anybody was saying the user should use System Restore to go back to a previous safe point, as like you say Sully, chances are he will still be infected. But the screenshot that the user posted showed that AVG was picking up two pieces of malware in the System Restore folder. To remove these all you have to do are uncheck and check the System Restore box, which will make a new clean System Restore point, hence removing the infected points.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Ah, I see what your suggesting. Not sure how I picked it up wrong.

Good stuff anyway. :)

I would agree about Spybot, however SpywareBlaster and SpywareGuard definitely should not be removed. They are both excellent programs, the best out of the ones you have, and provide a totally different function than Spybot or AVG.

Sorry you are right about these providing real-time protection and it being pointless to install them when there is already a Malware/Spyware infecting his PC... But how many does he really need???

If they are so good shouldn't one be enough???

He doesn't have all of these installed so which of these would be the best to recommend?

I would stick with AVG Anti-Virus and Anti-spyware. I have never used Spyblaster or SpyGuard so I can't comment!!!!

No worries Sully, easy mistake to make :)
    But how many does he really need???
    You are right, he does have too much programs if he has all those. I would remove Spybot, Ad-Aware, ZoneAlarm(replace that with Comodo), and he would have some really amazing protection(and free at that).
    He doesn't have all of these installed so which of these would be the best to recommend?
    The best anti-spyware scanner is AVG anti-spyware. Second would be a toss up between SUPERAntiSpyware and Dr. Web Cureit. Spybot and Ad-Aware are generally not that good anymore.

ZoneAlarm is definitely not as good as it used to be. Comodo is considered by most to be the best firewall.

For anti-virus, it really is a toss up between AVG, Avast, and AntiVir. If you wish to pay for one then Kaspersky is the main man.

As for SpywareBlaster, this is such a cool and simple program. It immunizes you against so many pieces of malware, meaning you will avoid so many bad sites/infections. It is a must for every PC user.

SpywareGuard is easily ignored by a lot of people, and people always ask "the last update was a few years ago, is the program dead". However this is easily the best anti-spyware real-time protection you will get. It uses heuristic protection, meaning it can stop brand new nasty pieces of malware. It is far superior to TeaTimer and anything else. It barely uses any resources also. A definite must for every PC in my opinion :)

• Advertisement

Ah Actor, dont be forgetting NOD32. Its probably on the same par as Kaspersky! The free AVs are certinaly not that good, and id recommend this be on product people purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭kaiser sauze

SpywareGuard is easily ignored by a lot of people, and people always ask "the last update was a few years ago, is the program dead". However this is easily the best anti-spyware real-time protection you will get. It uses heuristic protection, meaning it can stop brand new nasty pieces of malware. It is far superior to TeaTimer and anything else. It barely uses any resources also. A definite must for every PC in my opinion :)

Doesn't Teatimer use heuristic analysis?

I didn't think it did but I can't say for sure.

Advertisement