Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Easons Opening

Options
  • 13-11-2007 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭

According to todays Weekender, Easons are opening in the former Burger King premises on Thursday November 29.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Good news but maybe not for some of the bookshops in the area..

Hope the place has the book smell rather than the bacon douple cheese berger aroma.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Good stuff but I wonder how it will affect the other bookshops in town?
    I mean there is Conways bookshop which is right next door to the BK premises!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

I wouldn't imagine they are cheering at the news. Although they offer a great service, Easons just have the brand power. Glad I don't sell books tbh.

Will they affect Keaneys, who sell all the school books? When I was going to school we always got our school books from Easons (barefoot, with a warm spud in my pocket).

Hard times for small retailers.

(Yeah I know... Boo Hiss for Sligo Retailers!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Aw man the girl I was working with last night told me this and I pretty much laughed in her face(but not as mean as that!) Can't believe they are going in there though, its possibly the worst premises they could've picked. I'll still be going to the Liber and Keohanes for most of my books though, apart from Easons main shop in Dublin I'm not that interested in them. Although they do more magazines than most...

According to todays weekender it will be open on the 29 of november....

...Um this year apparently!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭daveboy01

its possibly the worst premises they could've picked
    Why so? I think it's a pretty good spot for them - big premises, main street etc etc
    ...Um this year apparently!
    I'd say they'll be open in a couple of weeks no problem - I'm sure they have plenty of experience in getting places kitted out quickly:)

daveboy01 wrote: »
    I'd say they'll be open in a couple of weeks no problem - I'm sure they have plenty of experience in getting places kitted out quickly:)

It was said in jest after how long it took for JC to open!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭magnumlady

I think its great news, especially as regards the school books. Its a complete nightmare at the moment, all the book shops in town and only one sell school books.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

It's been said already, but i think having an easons in town is good, but with it's location it will kill off the other book shops.

magnumlady wrote: »
    I think its great news, especially as regards the school books. Its a complete nightmare at the moment, all the book shops in town and only one sell school books.

Don't both Keaneys and Keoghans do School books?:confused:

• Advertisement

No only Keaneys. Keohanes used to do them a few years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭folkswagen

Who will the owners be? I take it it will be a franchise of Easons like the Ballina store?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

folkswagen wrote: »
    Who will the owners be? I take it it will be a franchise of Easons like the Ballina store?

Hopefully so, especially if it's a local person/persons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭nicolaonfire

WOW we're getting an Easons. Omg how exciting :D
    The one week I don't read the Weekender, they have good news.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,777 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Feckin' wonderful news!

Reminds me actually - last Saturday i went into get John Krakaeur's book 'Into The Wild' in Sligo Bookshop, the woman behind the counter could tell me they had it in stock but had no idea which section.

She was very helpful giving me a hand to look for it.. but i gave up! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭nicolaonfire

Haha!
    Well i'm sure you will get the book on the 29th in Easons!!!

God i hope so.. as Play was sold out of it last time i checked! :(

Wouldn't mind getting my hands on it either!

Yep.. i searched all around town for it at the weekend. No-where to be found.

Two editions of it on Play.com for €9.49 - and both sold out!

Ah well.. back on topic i s'pose!

Yes please.

• Advertisement

Just thinking actually. The Burger King premises is a pretty big site!
    How big is this store going to be in relation to other Eason's around Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭l3LoWnA

I heard ages ago that Easons are knocking through into the Card Boutique. Would Conways have sold to Easons or taken over the franchise perhaps? Although, that was probably only a rumour - strange to have Easons moving in right next door to another book shop!

But it's great, if only for special offers/magazines/newspapers from around the country etc....great selection of cards too & nice gift ideas! Hope it's kitted out as well as other Easons stores around the country!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

I had heard that Easons were opening there since before BK shut sown and nobody believed me:mad:

bobcar61 wrote: »
    I had heard that Easons were opening there since before BK shut sown and nobody believed me:mad:

It's not that we didn't believe you Bobcar but there was no evidence to back it up! Nothing on the Easons site in relation to it even at this stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Heard from a reliable source (not Bobcar! :D) that it is indeed a franchise being taken by Conways ,and that they are knocking the two buildings together. It will be a really big store, I would imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

basquille wrote: »
    the woman behind the counter could tell me they had it in stock but had no idea which section.

jesus, things go missing in every shop, i remember ringing the limerick branch of my shop to see had they something, i was initially told they had but after some searching they concluded that the stock in question was robbed a week earlier

The store is opening next Thursday, the 29th

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

Woohoo!! Thank god! That's great news! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Madge

I can't wait! It must be pretty big 'cos they have an 8 person capacity lift in it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

l3LoWnA wrote: »
    I heard ages ago that Easons are knocking through into the Card Boutique. Would Conways have sold to Easons or taken over the franchise perhaps? Although, that was probably only a rumour - strange to have Easons moving in right next door to another book shop!

But it's great, if only for special offers/magazines/newspapers from around the country etc....great selection of cards too & nice gift ideas! Hope it's kitted out as well as other Easons stores around the country!

easons in letterkenny in the courtyard centre was something similar, took over exsisting newsagent, along with neighbouring bookshop, and bookshop on floor beneath, resulting in a two story store

Advertisement