Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Events: ...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭davetherave

Happy enough with the north star, in the last while it's mostly just a social gathering for me now but I picked two bits for the collection so any time I can add something is a thing.
    Popped down to Whytes after the North Star to put an absentee bid in. First time at an auction by the way, there was no sign of a recession in there from what I saw.

Got the one lot I was after for 140 less than my max bid so happy days. Interestingly enough, in any pictures I've seen, Pearse is wearing a sam brown which doesn't have a belt buckle like the one auctioned off.
    Note: Not accusing Whytes, the seller or anyone of anything. Maybe someone can inform me otherwise.
    How can one button go for €1700, regards of who it did or didn't belong to. That is mad money. Still, a fool and his money are soon parted and all that....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Happy enough with the north star, in the last while it's mostly just a social gathering for me now but I picked two bits for the collection so any time I can add something is a thing.
    Popped down to Whytes after the North Star to put an absentee bid in. First time at an auction by the way, there was no sign of a recession in there from what I saw.

Got the one lot I was after for 140 less than my max bid so happy days. Interestingly enough, in any pictures I've seen, Pearse is wearing a sam brown which doesn't have a belt buckle like the one auctioned off.
    Note: Not accusing Whytes, the seller or anyone of anything. Maybe someone can inform me otherwise.
    How can one button go for €1700, regards of who it did or didn't belong to. That is mad money. Still, a fool and his money are soon parted and all that....

I was at north star and whytes too & yep the Irish items went well. I have questions about some of the name items whytes had. Particularly the pearse buckle and willie pearse tunic button. From discussing this on other forums it is a mystery how they can advertise them as such. Unless I am mistaken this would not be the first time for whytes - they sold michael collins cap badge last year (unless I am confusing them with adams.ie) - there was subsequently dispute over the design and whether or not it would have been in use during his lifetime. To the best of my knowledge whytes auction items are non returnable. Personaly I would steer clear of 'name' items without rock solid provenance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭enfield

Dead right Morlar.
    The 1924 pattern michael Collins cap badge shows how some people will BUY A STORY. Same thing with Bill the Kids six shooter. After he died his mother sold dozens of them and they had the provinance that his mother said they were what they were.
    Tom

Re;-The
    Waterford War Dead book launch in the Library, Dungarvan this Friday.
    The weather is terrible, the roads are dangerous and not likely to improve in the
    near future so sadly the launch is cancelled for a short time. I apologise for
    any inconvenience caused and will let you know when things improve.
    Kind regards.
    Tom.

• Advertisement

There will be a re-enactmnt of the ambush at Kilcash County Clare on Sunday week after 11am Mass. It was an attack on the Black and Tans and the RIC by the IRA. Should put down an hour or two. Plaque, Minister for Defence, blank firing weapons, period uniforms, re-enactors, etc, etc

Venue is Glenwood, not Kilcash.
    Tom.

Can anyone confirm if the Teachers Club fair is indeed on this saturday 22nd January ?

http://www.msoi.eu/latest-news

CANCELLED - Winter Meeting 4th December 2010
    Thursday, 06 May 2010 15:53 Michael Walsh
    E-mail Print PDF

Winter MSOI Meeting & Medals/Militaria Fair - CANCELLED

Date :- Saturday 4th. December 2010. Provisionally rescheduled for Saturday 22nd January 2010

Time :- Meeting 11:00. Fair 12:00 - 14:30

Location :- Main Hall, Teachers Club 36 Parnell Square Dublin.

Admission :- €2

All members who attend the meeting will be admitted free of charge to the fair.
    Last Updated on Friday, 03 December 2010 11:41
    = = =

I know what the website says but I am hearing rumours it's actually cancelled again - Can anyone confirm one way or another ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭R.Dub.Fusilier

got a catalogue in the post today and has the date as Sat 29th at the Teachers Club 1pm.

got a catalogue in the post today and has the date as Sat 29th at the Teachers Club 1pm.

The catalogue is right ! !! They have now updated their website a few hours ago.

http://www.msoi.eu/latest-news

Auction 2011

Date :- Saturday 29th January 2010

Time :- Viewing 11:30-12:45

Auction 13:00

Location :- Top Floor, Teachers Club 36 Parnell Square Dublin 1.

Catalogue http://www.msoi.eu/auction-details-page/auction-catalogue
    Last Updated on Friday, 21 January 2011 09:15

• Advertisement

Waterford War Dead book launch will be held in the library in Dungarvan at 8.30pm on Friday week, Feb 4th. Carlow War Dead at the end of Feb, venue unknown as yet.

"Medal/Militaria Collectors:- a meeting of the Medal Society of Ireland, takes place 11am Saturday 5th March, Teachers Club, 36 Parnell Square Dublin.

From 12 to 3pm saleand exhibition of medals/militaria, meet other collectors, bring, buy, swap, sell, valuations. Admission €3. Details phone Austin 087 2344890. All welcome"

enfield wrote: »
    "Medal/Militaria Collectors:- a meeting of the Medal Society of Ireland, takes place 11am Saturday 5th March, Teachers Club, 36 Parnell Square Dublin.

From 12 to 3pm saleand exhibition of medals/militaria, meet other collectors, bring, buy, swap, sell, valuations. Admission €3. Details phone Austin..... All welcome"

Thanks for that. I joined them a while ago and recieved a copy of the journal today but no notice of this event. I must make sure to get on that mailing list.

Next Munster Militaria Fair on Saturday , APRIL 23 , 2011.

The next fair is scheduled for Satrurday,April 23, 2011 at the same location, i.e. the Metropole Hotel, MacCurtain Street, Cork City, the fair will be held in the larger Ballroom venue at the Metropole. Opening hours for the public will be 10:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. Traders can set up displays from 8:00 a.m. on the day,
    The fair is designed to bring traders of re-enactment materials and equipment, militaria collectables, all other manner of military themed equipment, , military collectors and the public together for a great fair.
    So if you sell fabrics, swords, medals, scale models, miniatures, Airsoft or any other militaria then why not come along.

Public Admission: €3.00
    Children under 12: free

Trader will pay only 20 euro (minimum flat rate), they will get 2 large 6 foot tables for this.,, any additional tables, 10 euro each..i If you would like to participate, then please contact us for more information. All are most welcome.
    To contact us directly , please e mail us at info@munstermilitariafairs.com
    or visit http://munstermilitariafairs.com/

or phone 086 8731497

Change of date for Salute ;-
    'The Irish Military Vehicles Group wish to announce that our annual show, Salute, will take place on August 27th and 28th 2011 at The National Exhibition Centre, Swords, Co. Dublin.
    The Irish Military Vehicles Group wish to announce that our annual show, Salute, will take place on August 27th and 28th 2011 at The National Exhibition Centre, Swords, Co. Dublin.'

Salute have a website;-http://www.salute.ie

Tom.

From the organisers;-
    Leopardstown Park Hospital Fund Raising Committee have just informed us that they will not be going ahead with their show scheduled for June 4th and 5th this year.

The IMVG would like stress that this decision has been made by the Hospital Board due to internal staffing difficulties and changes of management personnel.

The Irish Military Vehicles Group wishes to express their utter disappointment at this decision and would like to take this opportunity to apologise to all clubs, re-enactors and stallholders that had already committed to attending this show.

They have asked for our help and support in 2012 as it is their intention to hold this event again next year.

If you need any clarification or information on the above please contact Ken @ 087 6872389 or kenblairikf@eircom.net
    jenny102

One less event in the calendar this year. The Vehicles seemed to draw the crowds and the event seemed to generate interest and revenue so that is a shame to hear.

There were two shows tabled for that weekend, Duncannon and Leopardstown. Like Morlar said I hate to see any venue cancel a show, we really should have more, however, Duncannon is still going ahead, and should be bigger than ever.
    Don't forget the fair in the Metropole Hotel, Cork is on Saturday week. 10 till 4.
    Tom.

Here are a few pics from Whytes auction on saturday :

These are of lot 291

1920-1921: Auxiliary Division uniform including tunic, cap,
    bandolier and Webley revolver.
    Auxiliary Division of the Royal Irish Constabulary uniform including balmoral beret
    made by R. A. Knight dated June 1916 complete with cap badge on square khaki
    backing, other ranks British WW1 period tunic with general service buttons and
    collar badges, black trousers, leather gaiters, black leather sam browne belt
    complete with handcuff case and revolver holster, black leather bandolier and Mark
    IV Webley service revolver, serial number “125001”. The Auxiliary Division Royal Irish
    Constabulary (ADRIC) was founded in July 1920 and by November 1921 the
    division was 1,900 strong. The Auxiliaries were part of the RIC, but operated more
    or less independently of the police force in a number of rural areas. Divided into
    companies, each about one hundred strong, they were heavily armed and highly
    mobile in an attempt to combat the IRA flying columns. They operated in ten
    counties, mostly in the south and west, where IRA activity was greatest. The
    uniforms that they wore, such as this example, were usually a mix between RIC
    uniforms or old army uniforms with appropriate police badges, along with the
    distinctive Tam-o-shanter or balmoral caps. The cap accompanying this uniform
    bears a badge similar to that used by K Company of the Auxiliaries based in
    Moore’s Hotel, Cork City (as illustrated on page 278 of Tudor’s Toughs by Ernest
    McCall) (8 items)€5,000-€7,000 (£4,400-£6,100 approx.)

bt02.jpg
    bt03.jpg
    bt04.jpg
    bt05.jpg

bt06.jpg

bt01.jpg

This lot was withdrawn on request of the Irish Govt :

1900 (26 April). Office of Public Works file on the visit of
    Queen Victoria and arrangements for her arrival at Kingstown
    (Dun Laoghaire)
    manuscript and typescript, various sizes, pp200 approx.
    Extremely detailed arrangements for the Queen’s arrival, with correspondence to
    and from various government officials, regarding various works to be completed at
    the harbour, the size of the Royal railway train, decorations, illuminations, and
    protocol down to what type of coat to wear. Fascinating record that may be of use
    again when Victoria’s great grand daughter visits Dublin in May, though she will
    not disembark from the Holyhead ferry on this occasion.
    €400-€600 (£350-£520 approx.)

The Whytes site now also has the list of prices.

For anyone who is interested there is also the Adams ' Independence ' Auction next tuesday 19th April 2011, Catalogue in .pdf from here

http://www.adams.ie/

INDEPENDENCE

in association with Mealy's auctioneers

Tuesday 19th April 2011

Session I starts at 11.00am

Session II starts at 6.00pm

• Advertisement

I really REALLY have problem with that cap badge. Its London Irish, plain as day.
    RIC badges have a buckle on the corner. See the correct collar badge on the tunic and compare. Be careful out there lads.
    Regards.
    Tom.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭arnhem44

I would agree with Tom,the cap badge is that of the 18th London Irish without doubt in what looks like silver or white metal.

Here is the last of the pictures:

bt07.jpg

I don't have access to the book referenced by the auctioneers to verify :

The cap accompanying this uniform
    bears a badge similar to that used by K Company of the Auxiliaries based in
    Moore’s Hotel, Cork City (as illustrated on page 278 of Tudor’s Toughs by Ernest
    McCall)

Does anyone have a copy they can scan that page from ?

Here is an rté news report on today's Adams Independence auction

http://www.rte.ie/news/av/2011/0419/media-2945053.html#

pdf catalogue online here :
    http://www.adams.ie/

Dont forget there is a fair in the Metropole Hotel in Cork this Saturday from 10 am

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

I was at the fair yesterday in the Metropole Hotel in Cork, a good selection of stuff, the latest to be added are repro Leather bandoliers, webley holster, .455 Sam brown ammo pouches, etc. I did not go to buy but whatchagonna do. I saw a few things that screamed, 'take me outta here!!' and I obliged. Crowds were way down and I am sure most of the stall holders did not cover their rent but bargains were there to be had. I noticed one stall holder selling ww1 medals at one third less than they were last year. It was all veru frielndly and a great opportunity to catch up on all the gossip and find out who died since last year, you know all the usual old tosh...
    The next show is the Curragh on Sunday week, and from what I hear it will be bigegr than ever with the clubs all coming together as one with re-enactments. Now there's a first for the Curragh. From what I hear the Air Corps are also going to drop in, literally, from the sky.
    All that sort of stuff.

I was at the metropole too, myself and a couple of waf regulars got free train tickets and made the trip. I have to say if I had paid €60 return I would have been a bit ticked off a the amount of dealers and some of the prices. I saw one dealer selling the same 2 ww2 german photo albums he has had for years at €275 each when they are worth about €60-€80 max. In the end I picked up some books fairly cheap, also some Rising postcards for about a third the price that they sell for in Blackrock antique market so that was good.

For me the highlight of the day was the Irish Independence display on the left on the way in, these guys :

http://irishvolunteers.org/

had a couple of stalls with items of Irish Independence militaria, ICA & Cuman na Mban uniforms, photos, scrapbooks autographs, medals etc unfortunately none of it was for sale just for display/education but they had some fascinating items. One of the guys running it P. O’ Ruairc had a few of his books on sale too.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 jenny102

Was at the fair myself and have to say I agree that the Irish Volunteers stand was very impressive.

The IMVG would like to invite you to to our Annual Show at The National Show Grounds on August 6th and 7th. See link to facebook event.

https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=164042003652479

• Advertisement

Just back from the Curragh show. Lots of vehicles and re-enactors, possibly more than last year but the Irish Army had little or nothing there. The crowd was down by at least 50%. The breeze in the Curragh is always strong but this weekend was crazy trying to put up tents, stalls etc. It was the first big show of the season and was enjoyed by all.
    Salute in late August has been cancelled but there is a new venue, Malahide Castle, on August 6th and 7th. It is being run by a new club named AME ( IMGV split, so now have IMVG and AME, which stands for 'Association of Military Enthusiasts', as far as I know. Please correct me if this is incorrect). It will be the same type of show, Military vehicles, re-enactors and militaria stalls.
    I picked up a NATO hitch, Royal Signals peaked cap (for my British FFR), and a 1914 pattern leather open top holster in great nick.
    For the War of independence lads, one of the stallholders sourced a stock of repro leather kit, bandoliers, ammo pouches, sam brownes, holsters, etc.
    It will be interesting to see if these big shows will survive with the downturn of the economy. I know they cost a lot to set up and with the take at the gate way down, clubs splitting (at least two of the bigger ones split this year) who knows what will happen?. We are in uncharted waters.
    For images of the show, google your head off, There will also be images posted later today on this page;-
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/westrat/5476766917/
    Have a good one.
    Tom.

Advertisement