Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Events: ...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭arnhem44

chem wrote: »
    Some vid from portrush show last weekend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eG1N9o-mUaQ

Excellent stuff chem and a bang at the end to frighten everyone,lol.

Tom I think the amount of hits the thread has recieved speaks volumes for itself,this is down to the good work yourself and all the other lads and lassies(maybe) do on here.No doubt there's plenty who visit these pages and never say anything,it dosen't mean there not interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭enfield

Ok, Ok, I get the picture guys. Maybe I am taking myself a bit too seriously. Normal progammes will resume.
    Anyway the video of portrush is brilliant!! I posted a link to it on the Livnghistory forum for the lads. Wel done to all concerned.
    Regards.
    Tom.

It was a splendid venue for the show. The public loved it as did all the participants. I even got a few bob for petrol, now that never happened before, happy chappie. It was policed by the Gardai who were as fascinated as the public in the displays stalls, Gaol and re-enactments. Shows on the hour in the arena and the weather was perfect. Many thanks to Martin, Garry and Matt for a wonderful weekend. I can see that next years show there will be even better. There were lads there from every county, the north and the UK.
    Anyway, I have started uploading pictures and then some videos through the day, enjoy.
    Regards.
    Tom.

http://s888.photobucket.com/albums/ac88/tomburnell/Cork%20Gaol%20Show/?action=view&current=101_2042.jpg#!oZZ1QQcurrentZZhttp%3A%2F%2Fs888.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fac88%2Ftomburnell%2FCork%2520Gaol%2520Show%2F%3Faction%3Dview%26current%3D101_2042.jpg%26

http://s888.photobucket.com/albums/ac88/tomburnell/?action=view&current=1-1.mp4&newest=1

Thanks for the report Tom,some great looking stuff for sale and display by the looks of it.I missed this one due to having no transport,there's always something god damn it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

I agree those militaria stalls look pretty interesting alright. Good selection of re-enactors as well.

Btw Did you see any nice Rising or War of Independence era militaria there ?

Hello guys.
    The setting is spectacular and the weathe was perfect. Anyway as you will see the videos are upoading to the same site so click on the link and follow on from there. The videos are slow to load thats why I took short ones. Now then Salute is on in the last weekend of this month and it is promising to be the biggest yet.
    Now then, war of independance items at this fair. There were lots of copies of uniforms and insignia, it would not take very much of an expert to tell them from the originals.The quality is deliberately less than the original ( I am told by the vendor) so you can see they are fakes. There were some original black and tan medals but I dont know how much they were. I did see an original Oglaig Na h-Eireann belt with the brass buckle and the belt could hold bullets. At £1,200 I successfully fought the urge to buy it. For sale by a Northern Ireland dealer and brought home with him as well, unsold.
    I am putting together a Flying column for re-enactment purposes and got lots of leather gear from it in Beltring over the years so over the next period of time you will see a lot of 'Tans' getting slaughtered. It was funny at the Carrigtwohill show, we said we would let the 'Tans' win but they said no, if we did not kill them the crowd certainly would!!
    Getting back to War of Independance stuff, if the repro stuff is not what you want Whites auction is the place for you m'lad as there is very little of it about and whats about is darned expensive.
    I was also glad to see sellers from the Teachers club fair. They compained that they did not get much response from sellers and the public for their fairs. I mentioned the fact that secrer fairs were rarely successful and he should take a stall at the big shows like Duncannon, Salute, The Curragh and now Cork Gaol in future and everyone will be a winner. It seems that it just might happen...
    Regards.
    Tom....still uploading video of the show for ye.

More picturs of the show here
    http://gallery.me.com/kimnowak#100065

Can anyone confirm is it the North Star Hotel Militaria Fair this saturday 14th August or is it the Teachers Club (Parnell Square in Dublin) one ?

Keep this in your folder.
    http://internationalmilitariacollectorsclub.com/index.php?p=2
    Regards.
    Tom.

• Advertisement

Quote;-
    'The next fair is scheduled for Saturday, November 6,, 2010 at the same location, i.e. the Metropole Hotel, MacCurtain Street, Cork City, the fair will be held in the larger Ballroom venue at the Metropole. Opening hours for the public will be 10:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. Traders can set up displays from 8:00 a.m. on the day, or on Friday evening the 5.th of November from 6.00 pm. to 9.00 p.m.

Public Admission: €3.00
    Children under 12: free

Tables (6′ by 2.5′ approx) for traders are priced at €25, or two tables for €35. If you would like to participate, then please contact us for more information. All are most welcome.

MILITARIA AUCTION:
    We are also pleased to announce that there will be a Militaria auction on the same day November 6th, at the Metropole Hotel, in the nearby Joyce room, beginning at 4 pm. The Joyce room is a few feet from the ballroom. Munster Militaria fairs will be working with Cork Militaria Auctions
    on this auction, and we will be accepting items for auction soon, we will post more information on this shortly.
    To contact us directly , please e mail us at [email protected]'

enfield wrote: »
    MILITARIA AUCTION:
    We are also pleased to announce that there will be a Militaria auction on the same day November 6th, at the Metropole Hotel, in the nearby Joyce room, beginning at 4 pm. The Joyce room is a few feet from the ballroom. Munster Militaria fairs will be working with Cork Militaria Auctions
    on this auction, and we will be accepting items for auction soon, we will post more information on this shortly.
    To contact us directly , please e mail us at [email protected]'

Looking forward to seeing the catalogue for this :)

I will ask them if they are putting the catalogue online and let you know. I do know the catalogue will be available three weeks before the fair. Items I know ( so far) that will be sold in the auction are, British and Commonwealth Bayonets (book) Bayonets from Jenzens notebook (book) National Roll of Honour for London, 3 Vols, A 3 bar QSA for the Munster Fusiliers( namd to McAuliffe), Victorian swagger stick to the Leinsters. Military Collectables (book), Irish Guards in the Great War 1 and 2 Battalions by Kipling (2 vols). Forgotten Heroes (Galway War Dead). Decorations and Medals of the Republic of Ireland (Book). World bayonets 1800 to the present (book). History of World War in photographs (book). History of the first 7 Battalions, Royal Irish Rifles (book). I know these are in it 'cos I am putting them in.
    Regards.
    Tom.

Auction lots for the November auction will be online with pictures in about 4 weeks time. I will post a link when they are available. Most of the lots including the Munsters QSA will begin bidding at a fiver with no reserve
    Regards.
    Tom.

There will be a display of WW1 and WW2 artifacts, Collectables (with re-enactors) and also Flying Column and Irish Army (pre-1980's) items and weapons and who knows what/who else might be there.
    The venue is Fort Camden in Crosshaven.Its on Saturday and Sunday indoors. I am not sure if there is a cover charge but will let you know if I can find out.
    Regards.
    Tom.

Open to the public 11.30am to 5pm each day, running displays through the day and free entry for all.
    Enjoy.
    Regards.
    Tom.

I took these videos before the public were allowed in. Its about the ruined buildings that are earmarked for repair. Myself and Mick had a great show and weekend and as usual the Cork welcome and facilitieswere second to none. This a new venue for re-enactment and its a rall cracker. I did not take any video of the tunnels as I was too busy. I am sure the others who were there will upload some shortly. The Irish Great War Society and Colms Yanks ( and a few rebels) were in attendance with the Coast Guards, and some guy with a lot of canon. Gary and Matt were there also.
    http://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a40/clondaleek/Fort%20Camden/?action=view&current=101_6779.mp4

Next year's show will be huge as more of the fort will have been reclaimed, and available for re-enactors. More videos are being uploaded as fast as my server will serve.
    Fun fun fun.
    Regards.
    Tom.

Hi Tom,
    Have you heard anything about when the catalogue for this weekends Cork fair will be released ?

http://munstermilitariafairs.com/2010/08/next-munster-militaria-fair-on-november-6-2010/
    Next Munster Militaria Fair on November 6, 2010

Many thanks to all the visitors , traders,vehicle owner and re enactors who attended the Cork City gaol Military show in August and helped to make the Show in Cork such a big success. There was a great display of medals, uniforms, insignia, medieval armour, and some very interesting exhibits all around. Munster Militaria Fairs were in attendance on the stalls and had a great time.

The next fair is scheduled for Saturday, November 6,, 2010 at the same location, i.e. the Metropole Hotel, MacCurtain Street, Cork City, the fair will be held in the larger Ballroom venue at the Metropole. Opening hours for the public will be 10:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. Traders can set up displays from 8:00 a.m. on the day, or on Friday evening the 5.th of November from 6.00 pm. to 9.00 p.m.

Public Admission: €3.00
    Children under 12: free

Tables (6′ by 2.5′ approx) for traders are priced at €25, or two tables for €35. If you would like to participate, then please contact us for more information. All are most welcome.

MILITARIA AUCTION:
    To contact us directly , please e mail us at [email protected]

Hope to see you all soon,
    Sincerely,
    Garry.

The Cork fair is not on this weekend, it is a month away in November. The Auction catalogue with pictures will be put online next week, so I am told.
    I will post links when it happens.
    Regards.
    Tom.

Auction lots are the are today, more will be added later.
    http://corkmilitariaauctions.com/auction-2010/

• Advertisement

The fair is on this Saturday from 10am and the auction at 4pm.
    Enjoy.
    Regards.
    Tom.

The 'Waterford War Dead' listing the 1136 men and women who died during ww1 and just after will be launched in the Library in Dungarvan on Friday December 3rd at 8pm.
    Free lookups are now available, just ask.
    Kind regards.
    Tom.

Great news Tom and best of luck with it.

Thanks Brendan, much appreciated.
    The fair was badly supported with customers and the auction was the place to be. Almost everything went for peanuts. The Munsters QSA made 125 euro all books made between 2 and 10 euro even the rarer ones and sets of books. Japanese sword ww1 55, Jap cavalry sword ww1 75, Austrian cavalry practice sabres 80 (f0r the pair). The dearest bayonet, a snider enfield and scabbard made 55 euro, all the rest wen cheaper. Irish guards belt with brass buckle 10 euro. I did not hang on to the end as I had to get home. Some lots were unsold as they had not reached their reserve.

Regards.
    Tom.

enfield wrote: »
    Thanks Brendan, much appreciated.
    The fair was badly supported with customers and the auction was the place to be. Almost everything went for peanuts. The Munsters QSA made 125 euro all books made between 2 and 10 euro even the rarer ones and sets of books. Japanese sword ww1 55, Jap cavalry sword ww1 75, Austrian cavalry practice sabres 80 (f0r the pair). The dearest bayonet, a snider enfield and scabbard made 55 euro, all the rest wen cheaper. Irish guards belt with brass buckle 10 euro. I did not hang on to the end as I had to get home. Some lots were unsold as they had not reached their reserve.

Regards.
    Tom.

That is a shame. Do you know how much the photo albums went for ?

I think they may get a bigger crowd if they show the reserve price of items.

I dd not wait for the end of the auction but the WW2 Japanese album as withdrawn not having reached its reserve of 80 euro.I was surprised that the dealers were not buying more at the auction as they would not be able to get these items anywhere at this price again.
    Regards.
    Tom.

Dont forget the fair in the North Star this satuday from 10am and of course Whites auctions on the same day. I will not be at either of these so I would appreciate if any attendees would give a report please. I expect prices will be down and haggling easier than normal due the the 'r' word. Things are so bad I had to do my driving test last week on foot.....
    Regards.
    Tom.

In addition to the North Star tomorrow there is also Whytes auction - a lot of Irish militaria and particularly Irish Independence era related items.

http://www.whytes.ie/

HISTORY, LITERATURE & COLLECTIBLES
    Saturday 13 November 2010
    Click for: Searchable on-line catalogue or Printable PDF
    VIEWING: at our galleries, 10-12 November 10am-6pm and 13 November 9.30am-12 noon.
    To register for Live Bidding click here.
    For catalogue changes click here
    For information on live bidding click here
    TV3 News feature on History Auction
    Irish Independent story Irish Times story

Here is the online catalogue :

http://www.whytes.com/AuctionPDFs/20101113.pdf

The North Star was very well attended. Lots of dealers (seemed about 1/4 more than usual) and about 2 times the normal amount of customers. Not everyone was buying though - it seemed to be a lot of window shopping. The Japaneese album (I believe the same one as sold for €80 in cork) was there for €100 - not a drastic markup but it was 70% civilian content so I gave it a miss. There were 3 other albums, one a RAD one not that fantastic, 2x russian front ones - each had about 90 or so pictures - both France/Russia ones were priced at €325.00 each.
    Which considering the content was at least 3 times the price it should have been. In the end I just picked up some books and dvd box sets - there were a few medals going for reasonable prices too.

Whytes - the auction was very well organised and well run. The attendance was high also - there were over 200 onsite bidders and a lot of internet bidders too. Lot 183 the Irish Independence Era/Civil War photography collection was withdrawn. The 1867 Fenian flag sold - can't remember off hand but I believe it may have been €52,000. There were lots of numbers today, reserves, final bids etc and a lot of items to keep track of so I could be wrong on that.

Some of the items I would wonder about the provenance of -seriously. Including Padraíg Pearse's beltbuckle (apparently), and a tunic button belonging to Willie Pearse - the saying 'buy the item not the story' sprung to mind.

I was outbid on the items I went along for - not by an awful lot but I managed to avoid auction fever and stick to my top bids. Definitely worth the trip and some big money being spent there and a good atmosphere all round. Tg4 were there too. Plus free tea and coffee etc, also an overflow room for people to take a break in. I definitely recommend attending the next one if you get a chance.

• Advertisement

Great report Morlar, thanks.
    My advice for the moment is hang on to your money, you will get a lot more for it in the years to come. If you have something to sell, sell on the net. If you have high end items worth a fortune then Whytes is the place to be but not if your items are only worth a few hundred. Go to Whytes and look at their conditions of sale, fees, VAT,valuations and the various photograph charges that are taken from the hammer price. Worked it out that if you sold something in Whytes for say 200 euros you get just over half that. 40 euro for a catalogue photo certainly put me off, then 15% and VAT, valuation, internet photo charge etc.
    'Including Padraíg Pearse's beltbuckle (apparently), and a tunic button belonging to Willie Pearse - the saying 'buy the item not the story' sprung to mind.'
    As I always said in the past 'NEVER BUY A STORY'.
    Be careful out there guys and gals, keep your dosh tightly in your fist. Now is not the time to buy here in Ireland. Prices are going to plummet, mark my words.
    Regards.
    Tom.

Advertisement