Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carnival In Sligo

Options
  • 30-10-2007 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭

Heard a couple of ads on 2Fm advertising how there will be street carnivals around Sligo when the World Rally Championships are on.
    They are getting close now, there should be a really good atmosphere around town but dont expect to move anywhere fast around the town...It will be wedged

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

Did they say what to expect? Any big acts lined up? What do you reckon they mean when they say "carnival'? Trapeze artists, ferris wheels, people getting shot out of cannons etc. Mind you, might be the only way to get around town. ;) It could be open lorries with a jazz band or something though..:eek:
    Gas isnt it theres normally dust weeds crossing O Connell street now Sligo is practically going to be twinned with Rio de janeiro for the amt of activity here.....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

No just mentioned things like street festivals, it didn't go into much detail but it should be something to look forward to.
    Probably going to be stalls selling merchandise for one and then possibly a few street acts and entertainers for kids....Just a wild guess though!!:o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Pity it takes place in mid November, what with the dark evenings and "soft" weather. Still, it's a big coup. Obviously arranged by petrol heads as local tourist organisation couldn't organise a proverbial in a brewery.

il gatto wrote: »
    Pity it takes place in mid November, what with the dark evenings and "soft" weather. Still, it's a big coup. Obviously arranged by petrol heads as local tourist organisation couldn't organise a proverbial in a brewery.

So what do you reckon petrol heads might have in mind for a carnival?! The wicker man and bonfires come to mind....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Here you go:
    http://www.sligochampion.ie/front-page/sligo-set-to-reap-tourism-bonanza-from-world-rally-1199276.html

This could probably be merged with the Rally thread in the North West forum!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,834 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Gillie wrote: »
    Here you go:
    http://www.sligochampion.ie/front-page/sligo-set-to-reap-tourism-bonanza-from-world-rally-1199276.html

This could probably be merged with the Rally thread in the North West forum!
    If the two events are directly linked then I can merge them if you wish

Well they appear to be. Just reading that article it would seem that the carnival is being put on to coincide with the rally.

It's actually quite interesting reading:
    In just four weeks Sligo can expect:

150,000 spectators and 24 Camera Crews

92 rally competitors

55 Support Helicopters

2,000 Stewards

50 Million TV viewers worldwide

There is a huge oppertunity here for the North West to do well!

It's a shame though that the Proper Pedestrianisation of O'Connell street has not been completed!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Hopefully Father Neil Horan won't try to repeat his silverstone antics !! Attention ******

Should be good for sligo and the region, must try to get down that weekend.

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    Hopefully Father Neil Horan won't try to repeat his silverstone antics !! Attention ******

Oh Christ I hope not!
    Can you imagine!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭slavigo

It's not my intention to put Sligo down with this as this element is everywhere but...

Is anyone else worried that while all eyes are on Sligo (or even the North West for that matter), some individuals falling into the title category, might take the chance to splash out?

I'm mean a lot of opportunities about if your that way inclined.
    To be honest I don't even know fully what I'm getting at. I'm just anxious that while the world is watching we'll get shown up or let ourselves down. I'd hate people to leave with a negative experience from what is lining up to be a great weekend (traffic jams excluded :( ) with a little bit of something for everyone.

Sligo's a great place with an opportunity to do something huge and I'd just love everyone attending to enjoy themselves and to leave with nothing but great stories of their time here in Sligo/Ireland.

Am I:
    Worrying over nothing?
    or
    A little harsh on Sligo?
    or
    A little harsh but I understand your anxiety. No matter what Irish town this is in you'll always worry just in case but go, enjoy and it'll all be ok! You'll see!

• Advertisement

Story Bud, im going to get the flagons of cider in and have a great weekend drinking on the streets with all my mates and maybe try to get into one of those world rally cars for the craic...

slavigo wrote: »
    It's not my intention to put Sligo down with this as this element is everywhere but...

Is anyone else worried that while all eyes are on Sligo (or even the North West for that matter), some individuals falling into the title category, might take the chance to splash out?

I'm mean a lot of opportunities about if your that way inclined.
    To be honest I don't even know fully what I'm getting at. I'm just anxious that while the world is watching we'll get shown up or let ourselves down. I'd hate people to leave with a negative experience from what is lining up to be a great weekend (traffic jams excluded :( ) with a little bit of something for everyone.

Sligo's a great place with an opportunity to do something huge and I'd just love everyone attending to enjoy themselves and to leave with nothing but great stories of their time here in Sligo/Ireland.

Am I:
    Worrying over nothing?
    or
    A little harsh on Sligo?
    or
    A little harsh but I understand your anxiety. No matter what Irish town this is in you'll always worry just in case but go, enjoy and it'll all be ok! You'll see!

To be honest those "types" are everywhere and i'm sure the organisers will have it under control!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    maybe try to get into one of those world rally cars for the craic...

Like this one Joey? ......long time no see by the way.:)

We did the design and graphics for this one.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Culchie wrote: »
    Like this one Joey? ......long time no see by the way.:)

We did the design and graphics for this one.

That looks great. It's not too over the top or in your face. Fair play.

Very nice culchie, hope you got a spin in the car for your troubles.

Haven't been out in sligo too much lately away getting married in in vegas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭tulipandthistle

where can i find out information for this carnival? does anyone know times, where it goes etc.
    You must think I'm a professional carnival goer....;)

where can i find out information for this carnival? does anyone know times, where it goes etc.
    You must think I'm a professional carnival goer....;)

+1?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,834 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Would this post help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭tulipandthistle

That's the post I 've been looking for.... :o Thank you!

Nice little parade, simialr stuff as usual I would have thought but I really like the stuff they have, the gothic costumes the drums and the like. The kids really get into the spirit and there must be alot of work done with local groups and the organisor. Good multicultural celebration too.
    Didnt get up to 'de blue degoon' for the fireworks but nice view from rockwood parade. Would been happier if they were even longer. But great again to see a bit of buzz in Sligo and free. It was Wedged!
    Anyone see eddie Jordans band, I couldnt hang around.

• Advertisement
Advertisement