Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Top 70 Vampire Movies of All Time

• 26-10-2007 10:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭

Anyone see this: Top 70 Vampire Movies of All Time

And I thought I knew my vampire movies!! Haven't seen most of these but straightaway I am not happy with the 1958 Hammer version only at #6!
    (Cushing and Lee are the definitive van Helsing and Dracula).

Also The Lost Boys are only #18 but good to see the under-rated Salem's Lot in there at #22 (James Mason is excellent in this).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Seen about 70% of these and would get it hard to knock Nosferatu off the top spot.

I watched it again recently and it is still ultra creepy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

I've seen most of them and agree with the ordering of the list for the most part, the crap ones (Dracula 2000, Vampire in Brooklyn) are up the bottom and the good ones like Near Dark and Chronos are near the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭galactus

Nosferatu definitely deserves a top 10. Fado, fado I tried to get my flatmates to sit thru all of it and they couldn't. :D

Had never heard of Chronos : must dig it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Am I the only one who thinks Bram Stoke's Dracula is very overrated?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Iriz

Galvasean wrote: »
    Am I the only one who thinks Bram Stoke's Dracula is very overrated?

no not at all! I really don't like the story although I love vampire movies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭The Chessplayer

The only vampire film that I have in my dvd collection is Vampiros Lesbos - a classic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭starman100

Salem's Lot scared the crap out of me as a young fella, the older brother with the glowing eyes floating outside the window going 'tap,tap,tap' to the younger lad inside still sends shivers up my spine.......

Speaking of vampire movies, "30 Days of Night" coming out shortly, could be half-decent according to here: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0389722/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

Salem's Lot is IMO the scariest and the best. I'll never forget everyone at school talking about how frightened they were when watching it. "*tap*tap* Let me in...." or something like that.

Shadow of the Vampire is brilliant. Great concept and great acting.

I've never been into animated horror and can't understand how highly placed they are in this list.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

starman100 wrote: »
    Speaking of vampire movies, "30 Days of Night" coming out shortly, could be half-decent according to here: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0389722/

Looks good, were also getting I Am Legend in January I believe.
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=C2fWJ6ux8PM

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭irishthump

I honestly thought Blade would be higher up the list. I think the first 2 movies gave the genre a well needed shot in the arm (or neck!).

Noseferatu is a deserving winner though. I saw a lot of the older movies as a kid, including Lugosi's Dracula. But Nosferatu was the only one that really scared the bejeezus out of me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

starman100 wrote: »
    Salem's Lot scared the crap out of me as a young fella, the older brother with the glowing eyes floating outside the window going 'tap,tap,tap' to the younger lad inside still sends shivers up my spine.......

That scene for me is the scariest of any horror I've seen. Am I right in thinking it was originally shown in 2 or 3 parts. I caught my sister out nicely during that film,biting through an apple in her ear,I can still hear her scream.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭galactus

dubtom wrote: »
    (snip) Am I right in thinking it was originally shown in 2 or 3 parts

Yeah in two parts, the reason why is explained on the IMDB link. Came across it lately and its still as scary as ever. And David Soul is as cheesy as ever but at least he doesn't sing. I'll say it again James Mason is superb in this.

Recently it was remade, of course, as a piece of carp.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Have the two Underworlds in my collection. Will there be an Underworld III?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Moved from Films.

Nothing particular wrong with this thread, but honestly, I think the Horror board could use a bit more traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

1. Nosferatu (1922) 30 Days of Night
    2. Dracula (1931)
    3. Nosferatu the Vampyre (1979)
    4. Black Sunday (1960)
    5. Martin (1977)
    6. Horror of Dracula (1958)
    7. Near Dark (1987)
    8. Dracula: Pages from a Virgin’s Diary (2002)
    9. Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust (2000)
    10. Cronos (1993)

List fixed :)

Interesting to see Cronos there, never really thought of it as a vampire film. Nor did I think it was spectacular.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

I didn't think of Rabid as a vampire film. If anything it'd be closer to a zombie film IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,428 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

What a crap list, I would have had Salems Lot at number 1 as others have mentioned. And the balls to put that Crappy Bram Stokers Dracula was rubbish and should not be at no. 11. My Top 10 would be
    1) Salems Lot Scariest Vampire Movie ever!!!!
    2) Blade This made Vampires Cool again!
    3) Near Dark: Half the Aliens cast turn into Aliens!
    4) Interview with a Vampire Neil Jordon Classic
    5) Frightnight another 80's classic, some nice effects in it.
    6) The Lost Boys Keifer as a vampire cool soundtrack
    7) Blade Trinity I thought after the disaster that was Blade 2 this was a decent return to form.
    8)From Dusk till Dawn Robert & Quinten do a Vampire flick
    9) The Fearless vampire killers RTE used to show this back in the 80's pretty funny
    10)Nosferatu the Vampyre very atmospheric movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭irishthump

What a crap list, I would have had Salems Lot at number 1 as others have mentioned. And the balls to put that Crappy Bram Stokers Dracula was rubbish and should not be at no. 11. My Top 10 would be

'Salem's Lot? Get a grip.

A bad adaptation of an excellent book. They altered the plot and merged so many characters that Stephen King himself said of that if he had'nt written the damn thing he would'nt have a had a clue what was going on!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

1) Salems Lot Scariest Vampire Movie ever!!!!
    2) Blade This made Vampires Cool again!
    3) Near Dark: Half the Aliens cast turn into Aliens!
    4) Interview with a Vampire Neil Jordon Classic
    5) Frightnight another 80's classic, some nice effects in it.
    6) The Lost Boys Keifer as a vampire cool soundtrack
    7) Blade Trinity I thought after the disaster that was Blade 2 this was a decent return to form.
    8)From Dusk till Dawn Robert & Quinten do a Vampire flick
    9) The Fearless vampire killers RTE used to show this back in the 80's pretty funny
    10)Nosferatu the Vampyre very atmospheric movie.

You call that list crap and then you put Blade & Blade Trinity in your top 10 ? bahaha.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,428 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Tusky wrote: »
    You call that list crap and then you put Blade & Blade Trinity in your top 10 ? bahaha.

Those 2 Blades were decent vampire movies imho

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Blade 2 was a lot better than Trinity imo. Blade Trinity almost got lost in its product placement.

"She likes to make playlists on her Apple iBook, using Apple iTunes to listen to on her Apple iPod while fighting vampires."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭niallon

Blade above Blade 2? John Carpenter's Vampires below The Hunger, Vampire's Kiss and Underworld? Mother of God! Terrible list except for the Top 10, replace Black Sunday with Interview With The Vampire and it'd be fine!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

I thought the Lot would have been higher up, i like the way it ****ed **** up in the book a bit, but put a good slant on it. I saw it last year on the horror channel and remembered how creepy it was.

Looking forward to I am Legend, really hope they don't ruin one of the greatest fantasy books of all time.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭OldeCinemaSoz

THE VAMPIRE LOVERS no.49...speaks volumes...?!?! :rolleyes:

Anyhoo...escaping the turgid rest, how come The Collinson Twins aren't in
    number one spot...?!?!

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭uncle ernie

dont think this was mentioned but i remember thinking Habit was great vampire film when i saw it yeaaaaars ago. must chase it down again

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0113241/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

Anyhoo...escaping the turgid rest, how come The Collinson Twins aren't in number one spot...?!?!

:eek:

Twins of Evil?

Good, solid Hammer! Surprised it's not there either.

Twins of Evil?

Good, solid Hammer! Surprised it's not there either.

You know...kids today...SAW this SAW that...

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

Ze vampires are back from ze graaave!!!

One of the most impressive vampire flicks
    i've finally caught uncut in recent years
    was VAMPYRES from Mr Jose Larraz himself.

What can I say? Only that this one really delivers the
    goods along with George's MARTIN.

:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement