Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

logistics nightmare...

Options
  • 13-10-2007 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

well, we had "the talk" about weddings today, and we're pretty much confused and overwhelmed due to our circumstances.

Problem is not that we want to get married, but our circumstances (if this is more of a PI issue, please move...;-)): I'm German, he's Irish, I'm a heathen (ex-protestant, but left the church, the protestant equivalent of being excommunicated), he's Catholic, but not very; my parents are not religious (but of the protestant kind), his parents are true blue Irish catholics to the core. And that's just the start of our problems... I am just wondering where to start planning a wedding like that? Anyone ever gone through with this kind of background (Las Vegas is not an option), and has any advice?

His parents can't really travel long distance, and I have a good bit of family over in Germany, but he's got a large circle of friends in Ireland. My friends are spread all over the globe, from Sweden to Australia...

Obviously, a wedding in Germany would be A LOT cheaper than an Irish do, but I (and he) obviously want his family to be there. I am not going to convert to catholicism (that would be the height of hipocrisy), but somehow we need some religious element to keep his family happy and satisfy his inner guilty catholic conscious. Two weddings seem a little too much, and would not reflect our "joint" relationship, since we want everyone together for the day.

Any ideas, any advice? It's very early stages for us, but I am truly wondering how to get such a wedding planned...

Any opinions appreciated. ;-)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

I notice you're in Galway. I've heard of another couple (don't know them personally) having a Humanist wedding ceremony in the grounds of Cloghan Castle http://www.cloghancastle.com/ and having the reception there in the castle. They are also a couple from different religions (Irish Catholic man and I'm not sure what religion/faith the woman is). I have no idea what a Humanist ceremony is or what it's like but maybe you could look into it and see what you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Cameraman

Another option is a registry office (or maybe in the venue when the new law applies) wedding followed by a blessing from a priest to keep the parents happy. Note that not every priest will be willing to do this - easiest if they're a friend of the family.

Advertisement